Are You a Space Asshole?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Are You a Space Asshole?

Do you like to run around smashing things, stirring up trouble and generally making life miserable for everyone around you, even those hapless innocents who are only there because they really needed a job? Then you, sir, might just be a Space Asshole.

Don't feel too bad about it; the world is filled with Space Assholes. It's safe to say, in fact, that most of us have worn that hat at one point or another in our gaming lives. But what about all those other people trapped within the confines of the game? Some of them are jerks too, no doubt, but most folks working on a mining colony or terraforming operation are just there because they needed work. Even a lot of the opposition, the so-called bad guys, are just regular nine-to-five joes, putting in their shifts so they can earn a check and put food on the table for the kids, hopefully without having to deal with anything more serious than some drunken rowdies on a Friday night.

Sadly, when it comes to videogames, nobody gets to "just work here." The phenomenon was recently immortalized in song by Chris Remo at Idle Thumbs [http://idlethumbs.net/blog/space-asshole-the-video-game], telling the tale of a Martian mining colony worker who one day, while minding his own business on the job, encounters the eponymous Space Asshole as he flies over a ridge in a truck, crashes through a bridge, then leaps out and smashes his boss in the face with a hammer. "I didn't sign up for this," the narrator sings. "I just wanted to get away."

Making it even better is a video that incorporates snippets from Red Faction: Guerrilla [http://www.redfaction.com/], which as it turns out is one of the finest interactive portrayals of space assholery of all time. Amazingly, most of the video clips were generated before the song even existed, yet they match up perfectly - and hilariously.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I'd be surprised if they don't release some DLC to add that song to radios for the game, or something along those lines.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Great premise, poor execution *IMO*. After about 2 minutes I couldn't take any more of the drearily delivered lyrics (I'm guessing it was part of the joke, it just did nothing for me).

But opinions and assholes, eh. Could just be me.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
That actually made me giggle.
Not bad, although I realise that I really am the space asshole now.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
No, I was in the Space Olymics, though. Only got one meal a day and I couldn't touch the minibar. :(

That counts as being a partial-Space Asshole, I suppose.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I am the biggest space asshole in history. IN HISTORY! And that game is actually my favourite game for being a space asshole. Wonderful.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
That was great. The song got boring after a while, but the end of the video made it worth waiting it out.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Wow. This makes me wonder why I stopped playing RF: Guerrilla. Oh, right, now I remember: It was because the controls are an absolute living nightmare. Oh well, this was still fun to watch.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Awesome video. Now the song is stuck in my head... :3

*Space assho-o-ole*

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
That was pretty awesome!. I guess I should not be surprised when I found myself finding some solace with that clip. It's nice to know that there are other space assholes around!.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
DEAR GOD. You will not believe how fucking long I've waited for Idle Thumbs to be mentioned somewhere around here.

WIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD