Left 4 Dead 2 TV Spot Hits a Home Run

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Left 4 Dead 2 TV Spot Hits a Home Run

Want to smash the Infected in the face with a baseball bat? As the first Left 4 Dead 2 TV spot shows, the power of the home run comes with restrictions - namely, where you get the game.

When the Left 4 Dead 2 trailer showed up on YouTube [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95644-Leaked-Left-4-Dead-2-Trailer-Turns-Up-On-YouTube] last week, the general consensus seemed to be "yeah, Valve makes some pretty awesome cinematics." That's also the case with the brand-new TV ad for next month's Left 4 Dead 2, which offers some easy humor by presenting the fight against the vicious not-quite-undead in the context of a baseball game.

The video is as much an ad for L4D2 as it is an ad for GameStop, because it reminds people that if you want to make like Coach and treat zombie heads like your own personal home-run derby, you need to preorder the game with them, and with them alone. Which means that everyone who has already pre-bought the game via Steam in hopes of getting an early demo is S.O.L. in this case. (Edit: I have been informed that this isn't the case and that Steam preorders get the baseball bat too. Well, no worries then.)

Of course, it's just a baseball bat - it isn't like we won't be able to get our hands on classic zombie-slaughtering weaponry like a chainsaw (or, Valve willing, a crowbar). I'm curious, though: The tail end of the video clearly specifies that this is an "American Baseball Bat." Is there... any other kind of baseball? I could understand "American Football," but "American Baseball"?

Hell, "American Cricket" might have made more sense. Though, interestingly enough, the News Team's resident Canadian, Andy Chalk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Malygris], informs me that "Sam Bat, the company that created and developed the maple bat, is based in Ottawa, Ontario." So that's not American, either.

Maybe I'm getting a bit hung up on a minor detail. There are zombies, survivors, and survivors beating up zombies with baseball bats. Go watch.

This is why I'm planning on playing as Coach, by the way.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I hate to rain on your parade but actually Steam version also comes with baseball bat. The following is from the store page for Left 4 Dead 2:

"Pre-purchase now and save 10%! Plus, get early access to the demo, exclusive in-game baseball bat, and be ready to play L4D2 the moment it is released"

BONK!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
ben---neb said:
I hate to rain on your parade but actually Steam version also comes with baseball bat. The following is from the store page for Left 4 Dead 2:

"Pre-purchase now and save 10%! Plus, get early access to the demo, exclusive in-game baseball bat, and be ready to play L4D2 the moment it is released"

BONK!
Oh.

Huh, go figure. Missed that. Will edit accordingly.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I was half-expecting Ellis to say "Home frickin' run!" or Coach to ask "anyone keepin' track of my heads batted in?"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Maybe the gamestop bat has some kind of subtly different skin to the Steam pre-order one? Maybe it's just a balls up or Gamestop are really stretching the definition of 'exclusive'.

What I really want to know is why I'm not playing the demo yet.
It's been the 27th for nearly sixteen hours already...

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
So wait, if I cant afford the game at the mo, i don't get the bat when I do buy it?
That sucks

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Here is something I find curious, if someone who pre-ordered plays with someone who did not, does the non-preorder player see the bat being used? If so, do they see it available for pick up from where it is found and are just unable to pick it up? Or does the preorder player just not have the bat available any time they play with the player who didn't preorder?

And finally, does this actually influence any player's / customer's decision to preorder? I know for myself the only influences on if I preorder a game is if I have played a demo first and the size of the discount putting the game at $20 CDN and under. *shrug* What can I say, the family budget is tight these days and gaming is a luxury item.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
CanadianWolverine said:
Here is something I find curious, if someone who pre-ordered plays with someone who did not, does the non-preorder player see the bat being used? If so, do they see it available for pick up from where it is found and are just unable to pick it up? Or does the preorder player just not have the bat available any time they play with the player who didn't preorder?

And finally, does this actually influence any player's / customer's decision to preorder? I know for myself the only influences on if I preorder a game is if I have played a demo first and the size of the discount putting the game at $20 CDN and under. *shrug* What can I say, the family budget is tight these days and gaming is a luxury item.
It's likely that they simply aren't able to pick it up. Though, in Gears 2, players could pick up fallen golden machine guns. Who knows?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Trust GameStop to try to be an attention whore. Yes you also get the bat with preorders on Steam, but since it was a commercial more tuned to GS, I guess we can give them a bit of leeway.
Score on the commercial though, was quite humorous. :D BONK!
And now to find something to do while waiting for the Demo to finally release today....

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
So frikkin' golden.

Though it should've been Nick since he looks like the scout.
It can't be Nick, he's always too busy getting his ass kicked by special infected.

OT: Looks pretty cool, glad I preordered at a local gamestop. Wooh! GO me

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Lordmarkus said:
So frikkin' golden.

It can't be Nick, he's always too busy getting his ass kicked by special infected.

True

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Ahhhhhhh!!!!! I now even more pissed off than I already was!

I pre-ordered the game at AMAZON! So I don't get demo nor baseball bat. I fucking hate GameStop

There better be a way for me to get that baseball bat that doesn't involve switching my pre-order to GameStop or paying for DLC.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lordmarkus said:
So frikkin' golden.

VanityGirl said:
Lordmarkus said:
So frikkin' golden.

Gentlemen, I do believe you meant "Ellis." Nick is the gambler/con man.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
CanadianWolverine said:
IiiiiiI can answer this question.

You can pick up the baseball bat if at least one (1) person in your group preordered it. So, even if you didn't preorder the bat, you can still pick it up if you're playing with someone who did.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Lordmarkus said:
So frikkin' golden.

Gentlemen, I do believe you meant "Ellis." Nick is the gambler/con man.
JimmyBassatti said:
Lordmarkus said:
So frikkin' golden.

You mean Ellis...
http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Ellis
This ends now!! Read wrong on wiki. *Goes away and cries at a corner*