Anime Review: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's

Norman Rafferty

Mar 18, 2009
Anime Review: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's

It was but a small wish ? to watch little girls fight with magical lasers.

Read Full Article

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Something seems very...off about this review, but I can't quite figure out what yet. Still waiting on Netflix to get this show to me...

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Something seems very...off about this review, but I can't quite figure out what yet. Still waiting on Netflix to get this show to me...
Agreed, especially as a big Nanoha fan (come on, you expected me to show up, didn't you?).

Edit: To give some substance to this post, my guess is that this guy isn't fond of flashier anime and definitely not of lolicon, which explains this and his previous Nanoha review somewhat. Still quite surprised that this wasn't better than his first season review, though, since A's is agreed by everyone (including me) to be much better.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
You understand more if you take the recomendation part into account. Mr. Rafferty here probably enjoyed the first season and understands enough of what's going on to like the second season. He also understands that MGLN isn't for everyone and that it has flaws. The ideas aren't clearly spelled out, though, so you get a review with two different tones.

Overall, if you enjoy a well-drawn, generic magical girl anime, then you'll enjoy this. You might also enjoy Princess Robot Bubblegum.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Yet another very good review... of something I haven't seen. I've actually seen the first series, but I never got around to this part... I'll get to it... eventually.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
randommaster said:
Overall, if you enjoy a well-drawn, generic magical girl anime, then you'll enjoy this. You might also enjoy Princess Robot Bubblegum.
That's the thing. This (first season) is one of the least generic magical girl anime I've ever seen. After episode four, it drops the traditional monster-of-the-week format, vastly de-emphasizes the macguffin aspect in favor of deeper exploration of character motives, and stops favoring an episodic format altogether. The only things this show has in common with, say, Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, or Galaxy Fraulein Yuna are (a very few) transformation sequences and a strong emphasis on the theme of redemption. Hell, Princess Tutu was more of a magical girl anime, and that show was a mind trip more than anything.

And if half the things I've heard about A's are true, it might as well be a different genre altogether.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
randommaster said:
That's the thing. This (first season) is one of the least generic magical girl anime I've ever seen. After episode four, it drops the traditional monster-of-the-week format, vastly de-emphasizes the macguffin aspect in favor of deeper exploration of character motives, and stops favoring an episodic format altogether. The only things this show has in common with, say, Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, or Galaxy Fraulein Yuna are (a very few) transformation sequences and a strong emphasis on the theme of redemption. Hell, Princess Tutu was more of a magical girl anime, and that show was a mind trip more than anything.

And if half the things I've heard about A's are true, it might as well be a different genre altogether.
Wasn't this for the second season? Anyways, I haven't actually seen any of the anime you just mentioned, except for saior Moon, and that was the first two seasons about ten years ago. You're a better judge for this than I am, but I was just trying to clear up what the author was trying to say. I'll take your word for the differences, though, since I can't really say much about this subject.