Epic Mickey Not Originally Planned for Wii

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Epic Mickey Not Originally Planned for Wii

In the beginning of development, Disney Epic Mickey wasn't even planned to release on the Nintendo Wii at all.

Now that Disney Epic Mickey has been officially announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95780-Epic-Mickey-Officially-Announced-Titled-and-Dated] with screens, art, and details, I thought we could finally take a break from the title for a while. In spite of the recent deluge of information, there are still juicy tidbits about the game's development to reveal, including the fact that even though Epic Mickey will be Wii-exclusive at release, it wasn't at first meant for the Wii.

Speaking to Official Nintendo Magazine [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12784], Epic Mickey developer Warren Spector revealed: "The reality is that we started Wii development in 2008, but before that we were a PC, PS3, and 360 title." Spector told Disney Interactive Studios boss Graham Hopper that to develop a true success, "it'd be awfully nice if we could focus on one platform." Everything was switched up when a Wii port of the game was discussed, with Spector rightfully believing that a regular port wouldn't cut it due to the unique, arm-flailing nature of the Wii, so Hopper suggested that Epic Mickey go Wii exclusive.

Spector was all for it, and has been enjoying the simplicity of Wii development, further telling ONM, "Being able to focus on gameplay over flashy graphics is kinda nice - almost like the good old days of development. I mean that in an entirely positive way." Spector says: "[He thinks] that a lot of people missed the boat with the Wii," choosing to go for extremely futuristic graphics rather than making the best games.

Rumors have been flying about the possibilities of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ports of Disney Epic Mickey, but it looks like if Spector has his way these won't be necessary at all. If any game has the ability to escape the fact that third-party exclusive Wii games usually don't sell well (see Madworld and The Conduit), it would be one with the strength of Mickey Mouse behind it. Epic Mickey looks kid and family friendly enough to sell to that market, but with enough grit to appeal to the hardcore community as well. Could Mickey be the next Mario?

Source: ONM [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12784]

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Missed the boat nothing, Wii games are (to unfairly generalize) just variations on "Waggle, waggle, waggle. Waggle. Waggle. Waggle! WAGGLE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WAGGLE!
It really does piss me off that this was supposed to be on the other consoles. Though frankly I can understand the developer's sentiments that it's easier to make a game for the Wii because you don't have to focus on the graphics as much as you have to with the other consoles.
Not that I would have bought Epic Mickey, but still, this is a piss off.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Being able to focus on gameplay over flashy graphics is kinda nice - almost like the good old days of development. I mean that in an entirely positive way
I like his way of thinking. Now, let's hope that he doesn't mess up with the game's controls. (A bit too many 3rd-party games end up messing the controls)

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Thank God this wasn't just a port. I mean, I can't stand those unintuitive "analog stick & button" controls that plague other systems.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I like how Spector actually understands the only way to make a good game on the Wii is to make A DAMN WII GAME! I understand too many overuse the waggle, but he has a genuine point in the industry's obsession with graphics.

It's not (but really should be) a general fact that carefully rendered, a Wii game looks perfectly fine compared to the last generation's best. With or without waggle or pointing, controls need extra care to be carefully balanced, but it can be done.

But dedication and logic is not something we can depend on from game developers, so let's throw out some crude generalities to support the decision. The main demographic of Wii owners (the casuals) could not care less about HD. And it's Mickey! Not only would the Wii's audience eat this up, but lighter fair doesn't do well on 360.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
SilverHammerMan said:
Missed the boat nothing, Wii games are (to unfairly generalize) just variations on "Waggle, waggle, waggle. Waggle. Waggle. Waggle! WAGGLE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WAGGLE!
One could argue that this is exactly the way in which other developers have missed the boat. They think tacking motion controls onto a game will make it sell, when all the best-selling Wii games have the developers put actual effort into their motion controls. It's not a flaw in the system, as numerous games that utilise the console well have shown.

While it's a shame for the non-Wii owners among us, I really like Spector's attitude. He recognises that Wii ports rarely work (the only good ones in memory being Nintendo's own ports of Metroid Prime and Pikmin. Okami is a borderline case) and sees the need for some sort of focus being put on the console. So, he's doing just that, and, here's hoping, going to produce something excellent.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I thought it was going to be a 360 and ps3 exclusive but the fact that someone has noticed that ports are bad and the wii can be the best place for some games.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
His positive attitude is refreshing, I'm still slightly irked that it's on the Wii, as I'm scared a potentially fantastic game could be screwed by the invetiable shoe-horning in of crappy motion controls.

kuposenpai

Nov 23, 2009
Good For Mickey. I meant that. Love him, grew up with him. Played that hard as hell mickey mouse game on ye olde NES. But if anyone should have learn from history, all Disney games really are a flip of the coin. I don't really mean yay or nay. i mean nay or 'acceptable'. The first Mickey and Donald game for the sega was fun. Jungle Book, acceptable. 2nd mickey game on nes... slightly acceptable. Darkwing Duck, fun as hell.

I think the developers were too preoccupied to whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
A cookie to the 1st to get that reference.