AO-Rated Version of Manhunt 2 Coming to Direct2Drive

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
AO-Rated Version of Manhunt 2 Coming to Direct2Drive

The most violent, bloody, and gross version of Manhunt 2 ever will be available on the PC within a week.

Manhunt 2 has already been released for the Wii, PSP, and PlayStation 2, but not in the way intended by its developer. Originally given an AO (Adults Only) rating by the ESRB, the game had to be toned down to receive an M (Mature) rating so that it could actually reach retail shelves. Retail will generally not touch an AO rated product, most likely to avoid the associated controversy that could come from any number of directions. If you were going to buy Manhunt 2, but just couldn't stomach purchasing a censored product, the full-on Adults Only PC version will be coming to Direct2Drive on November 6, 2009.

It was hinted at back in August [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94195-Manhunt-2-for-PC-Rated-Adults-Only] that an AO Manhunt 2 would release on the PC somehow, somewhere, and Direct2Drive appears to be the distributor willing to take the chance on it. There are actually a few other AO-rated games already available on Direct2Drive, so this isn't a first for the the service. It certainly is easier to release AO games through digital download services, because these tend to get little to no attention from politicians and the like.

Manhunt 2 follows the story of Dr. Daniel Lamb as he kills the crap out of lots of people in an insane asylum. I can't really see the AO-rated version of the game being a huge seller, because most gamers tend to care about really good games rather than graphic violence. The game received mixed reviews when first released, possibly due in part to its graphic nature that may not have sat well with some reviewers. I would personally prefer that it actually be somewhat censored, rather than to give me gruesome nightmares, but I can barely watch a horror movie so I am not the game's intended audience. One positive of Manhunt 2 going up as a digital download is that it will probably go on sale for really cheap sometime soon. Currently priced at $29.95, the AO version of Manhunt 2 can be purchased here [http://www.direct2drive.com/8339/product/Buy-Manhunt-2-Download].

(Via: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176729])

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I won't be picking it up, but I have to admire their spirit for releasing the game they wanted to release. Uncut and all.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Nobody ever talks about the gameplay of titles like this... Is it any good?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Gore that is so over the top it requires a XXX rating? Why? It's like this is being done just to flip the bird at game-violence haters. And there's really no legitimate reason for that. I am sincerely hoping D2D has a good verification system in place. Though nothing's perfect, and this could backfire on D2D and the publisher of Manhunt 2. We shall see.

The Cake Is A Lie

Jun 27, 2009
I remember how disappointed I was when I picked this up for the Wii and saw how saturated the game was in censorship.

Honestly if you are going to release a game of this type AND you are going to end up censoring it... don't bother releasing it. It really does ruin the game. Or at the very least take out (don't censor) some of the content to drop the rating down. The use of blur filters and whatnot really were lame.

Personally I won't bother picking up the PC version even if it is AO.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I have added this to favorites. I don't like supporting D2D services any more than absolutly nessicary, however I also agree with them finally releasing this game uncensored... If this was an indie title it would be a lot easier for me to decide

Well it's still only pre-order so I'll decide when it's released.

As far as the gameplay on Manhunt 2, I can't say. I thought the first one played pretty well, but the second one I never even looked at because they censored it and I avoid giving any money to companies that censor their products.

Also I'll be honest in saying I *AM* both a horror fan and a pervert, games do not need to include sex and violence to be good by any means, but shying away from them intentionally or censorting them is wrong. If your doing a horror game, for horror fans, I expect it to be over the top, and Manhunt is pretty much a horror title.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Unfortunately that isn't going to make the game any good.

Maybe next they'll release a gta game with an E rating.
Oh yea, gta4.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Gore that is so over the top it requires a XXX rating? Why?
I second this. I've seen some gory stuff in games like Resident Evil, what could they possibly have in Manhunt to make it so over the top it needs this rating, and is it anything more than a gimmick really? Is there really that large of a core gamer group out there that needs that amount of gore to justify the experience?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Meh. MH2 wasn't a patch on the first. I find it hard to believe that people still care this much so long after the fact.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I always thought these games were mediocre at best, so no chance of getting the PC version.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
The game wasn't even very good. I admit the first 3 levels are awesome beacuse you actually feel "hunted". The rest of the game feels like you're infiltrating MGS style on a bunch of unsuspecting guards

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
This game got an AO for gore? Is it really that bad? I wouldn't of thought a game would be able to get an AO without nudity and sex. Or does it have those too?

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
will be interesting to see what the difference is..
I own both the first and second there already pretty gruesome on their own...

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Who cares about gore in a game? Why does it attract people to it?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
chronobreak said:
samsonguy920 said:
Gore that is so over the top it requires a XXX rating? Why?
I second this. I've seen some gory stuff in games like Resident Evil, what could they possibly have in Manhunt to make it so over the top it needs this rating, and is it anything more than a gimmick really? Is there really that large of a core gamer group out there that needs that amount of gore to justify the experience?
The A rating is mostly for stuff involving sex/sexual stuff these days. One of the original A-rated sequences involving genital mutilation (chopping of a man's bits with a pair of garden shears.)

Hence the A rating.