American McGee's Return of Alice Gets Creepy Stop-Motion Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
American McGee's Return of Alice Gets Creepy Stop-Motion Trailer

The recently-announced sequel to American McGee's Alice now has a ballpark release date - it'll hit in 2011 - and a slightly unsettling "unofficial" trailer.

I'm not quite sure what exactly it is about Alice in Wonderland that pings the creativity of others, but sometimes we do get some awesome stuff out of it. Whatever else you could say about 2000's American McGee's Alice, you certainly can't say it doesn't have a sense of style. If this trailer is any indication, the upcoming Return of Alice - first revealed in a blog post back in February [http://www.americanmcgee.com/wordpress/2009/02/20/alice-sequel/] - will follow in its footsteps.

Or maybe it's just that, as things like the music video for "Sober" by Tool demonstrate [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8], the stop-motion style of animation makes already-creepy things that much creepier.

Here's the one thing I don't get, though - the game's new website [http://twitter.com/americanmcgee/status/5358832441] refers to it as an "unofficial" trailer. I could understand if it was, say, a version cut together by a dedicated fan from pre-existing footage, but this is the first real video we've seen of anything having to do with the game. It's linked to on the official website. What could be unofficial about it?

(Thanks, InProgress!)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Bah. I really wished I've played the first game. Then this announcement might actually excite me.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
kaskdjgahldhgkalsdjfjasdflasdjfjasdlkfjasdkAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Why the hell isn't the first one a freakin' movie yet?!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Ok, so I definitely need to find a place to pick up the first game. I've always wanted it but was too young when it was released.

Funk, after the last Alt+Escape of "Alice is Dead", you re-incited my flame for the world from the "Looking Glass". Sad that the movie coming out will be terrible.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I wonder where they are going to go with this game. I enjoyed the first one although the controls seemed a bit dodgy to me. I did love the visuals though and I am looking forward to seeing the darker version of the Alice world in modern graphics and sound.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
I'll tell you why it's an "unofficial" trailer. It's because American McGee is a self-absorbed moron who doesn't know what "unofficial" means.

American McGee's Alice was a great game, but everything that man has touched since has turned to shit. This one is being developed the same way that Bad Day LA and Grimm were, so I have no expectations whatsoever.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
First time I heard they are going to make a sequel to that game.

Didn't Alice snap out of her psychological trauma when she killed the red queen? They showed her leaving the asylum as well at the end. I'm thinking they had to come up with some "dick move" to justify a sequel.

Looks alright so far. Maybe it will be just as fun as the original?

Feb 13, 2008
?'But I don?t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can?t help that,' said the Cat. 'We?re all mad here. I?m mad. You?re mad.'
'How do you know I?m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,? said the Cat. 'or you wouldn?t have come here.'?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Scrythe said:

I thought they were making a movie of it, being sure I had heard it was a work in progress. Perhaps it's currently on hold or something.

Still, in the meantime, I'm sure we'll be able to make do with Tim Burtons adaptation, right? Right?

Hmmm.....

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
I Loved that game. the atmosphere as well as the story were just perfect even today. Fair enough the graphics and gameplay are a bit dated but no more than half life and people still play that

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Oooooooh! I loved the first game, it was so awesome but....uhhh I wonder how they're going to continue it. I won't spoil the ending of the first but well, it did seem pretty final.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Well I never got around to playing the first game neither, seeing as I was too young at the time of it's release to get it. I do, however, have a vivid memory of watching someone play it at a friend's house once upon a time. I remember I was playing Tigger's Honey Hunt on Playstation, so that pretty much puts into perspective my taste in videogames at the time.
... I was fun, alright!

Anyway's, I'd prefer to play the original first, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe with the hype that the second game brings, they'll put the first game on Steam.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Heart of Darkness said:
Bah. I really wished I've played the first game. Then this announcement might actually excite me.
It's worth it. Believe me. I was lucky to get a cheap copy on ebay, but it's truly a great game. What with that and Tim burton and Marilyn Manson both doing their own Alice films, plus the new McGee game, I think next year I'll have plenty of macabre-style Alice to satisfy my lust :)

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Scrythe said:

Because video game movies invariably suck.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
In before someone mentions "American McGee Presents American McGee's Return of Alice by American McGee's".

I know I should be excited, or at least somewhat interested, by this, but I am not, and that is strange. Maybe I have grown cynical, or maybe I have realized that since there are so many people needed to make a video game come to life someone having their name on a non-indy title looks like something people only do ironically.