Hideo Kojima a "Huge Fan" of Twilight, Judging Fan Art Contest

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hideo Kojima a "Huge Fan" of Twilight, Judging Fan Art Contest

Japanese art site Pixiv is holding a fan art contest to celebrate the upcoming film Twilight: New Moon, and one of the judges is none other than Mr. Metal Gear himself.

Didn't see this one coming: Renowned game creator Hideo Kojima has been tapped as one of the judges for a Twilight fan art contest run by Japanese art site Pixiv [http://dev.pixiv.net/archives/885935.html] - think DeviantArt, only Japanese. The contest is meant to coincide with the upcoming Twilight: New Moon, the movie based on the second book in Stephanie Meyer's ridiculously successful novel series about teenage vampires that sparkle in the sunlight.

Kojima is one of three judges, all of whom are reportedly "huge fans" of the series according to the Pixiv announcement. He will join Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, who is best known for his work as the character designer and manga creator for the landmark Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Ryuji Gotsubo, creator of the manga Sasameke and illustrator for the Japanese releases of the Twilight novels.

All three judges have their own prize packages to award to the winner as they see fit: Sadamoto will be giving away an autographed painting set, Kojima an autographed copy of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and Gotsubo "an autographed set of the first three Twilight tankōbon novel volumes," according to the Anime News Network [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-02/eva-metal-gear-creators-judge-twilight-art-contest]. The Pixiv community will also be able to choose 10 winners of its own, who will each be given two tickets to the film when it launches in Japan on November 28th.

Kojima strikes me as more of the Team Jacob type than Team Edward, wouldn't you say?

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Well, to be fair, I've never read any of those books or, to my knowledge, played any of those games.

Maybe it's because the style of the books, from what people have told me, is rather like manga aimed for little girls.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Empty pit, soul crushed, don't....know how to..respond. Maybe it's not so bad. Yeah, maybe he's just a fan of comedies that aren't supposed to be funny. Yeah yeah yeah yeah that's got to be it.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
MajoraPersona said:
Well, to be fair, I've never read any of those books or, to my knowledge, played any of those games.

Maybe it's because the style of the books, from what people have told me, is rather like manga aimed for little girls.
That's giving it too much credit. It's crappy fanfiction for those crazy girls who like to base their lives around shipping characters.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
I knew there was a reason why I could never take Metal gear games seriously...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Sounds about right. The Metal Gear story is absolutely terrible, so it only fits that the writer of said story likes a series of books that is equally terrible.

Also, nice touch with the duck's head. ;P

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
.... owch..... just ... owch....

I really don't know what else to say here as it all just feels so........ so... painfully wrong... o_o;

well okay, te movies so far clearly weren't anything good... and the novels aimed not to my market.. so I just pull back and whimper in terror

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
I'm a huge fan, too.

Those books are the best comedy of our generation, hands down.
Anyone who disagrees sparkles.
..... okay, that's a way to look at the books that makes it understandable again... :D

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
... I've lost respect for Hideo Kojima. I just... damn it. This pisses me off to no end. This just proves that no matter how awesome someone can be on what they do, they can still have opinions that make them look stupid. At least in my eyes, Hideo Kojima is a little dumber for this. MGS is still one of the greatest series ever, but Hideo... He just isn't as awesome as before.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Now, I'm not usually one to jump on the Twilight hate bandwagon, but...

MaxTheReaper said:
I'm a huge fan, too.

Those books are the best comedy of our generation, hands down.
Anyone who disagrees sparkles.
I can agree with that about the movie. In fact, I plan on writing a review about it for a friend's site. But the books, on the other hand, are depressing. And that last one is fucked up, big time.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Pirce said:
MajoraPersona said:

That's giving it too much credit. It's crappy fanfiction for those crazy girls who like to base their lives around shipping characters.
That's what I said. Shoujo and Josei manga. Japan has entire supergenres dedicated to such writing.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
MGS4 is my 5th favorite game of all time... I think...Yeah, I think a bit of my soul just died.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
LeonHellsvite said:
holy hell, please don't get any ideas for the next MGS game involving twilight ><
Well, here's [http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0908/a-cross-over-twilight-blade-cross-over-crossover-best-ever-demotivational-poster-1249240321.png] a good idea, at any rate.