Activision to Help Parents Understand Game Ratings

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Activision to Help Parents Understand Game Ratings

Industry publishing giant Activision has announced plans to launch a program aimed at helping parents better understand the ESRB ratings and the games their children are playing.

The program, as outlined by the Call of Duty and Guitar Hero publisher, is called "The Ratings Are Not a Game" and will be supported by staff at the Center for Mental Health and Media at Massachusetts General Hospital. The purpose of the initiative, as reported by GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/activision-launches-parental-education-program], is "to help parents make informed decisions on the games children play, as well as promote the ESRB."

The program will consist of seven videos, each of which will cover a different aspect of videogames and those who play them. The first video will explore how games can be used to help teach children puzzle-solving techniques (here you go Bobby, have a copy of Professor Layton) and the one after that will teach parents how to identify appropriate games for their children.

"I'm pleased to partner with Activision on this initiative, and applaud their consideration for parents' concerns," said Dr. Cheryl Olson, co-director of the Center for Mental Health and Media.

"As a parent myself, I know there are so many things to worry about and not enough time, especially during the holiday season ... these videos give practical research-based advice on how to help your kids - and your family - get more out of videogames, and how to watch for and limit electronic gameplay."

Okay, I know Activision is the current Big Bad Wolf in the industry, and an entity that gamers love to despise. But I'm hard-pressed to find anything in this initiative that could be turned around against the company. The more parents are informed about games and how the ESRB works - and the more they get involved with the games their children are playing - the less likely it is that we'll have some wacko nutjob show up on Fox News railing about the horrific gay orgy scene in Mass Effectinged.

Some games shouldn't be played by children, and if Activision is taking steps to help parents learn about the industry and the ratings that are there for a reason... what could possibly be wrong with that?

(via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/11/03/activison-to-launch-ratings-awareness-program-for-parents/])

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Seriously, WTF? How do parents find it hard to grasp? Its spelled out on the damn label! Are they too lazy to read?

I don't even live in the USA, but I can tell roughly what a game is like from its ratings.

appleblush

Sep 13, 2009
Yes this is very nice. It's warning parents but it sounds like it's encouraging video games as well. Video games are inherently bad. Really watching TV is worse. Video games, even in their simplest form, at least tune fine motor schools and reflexes. And like the article stresses, there's puzzle games, and in every game there's at least a little bit of problem solving. Until you get into the M rated games, where ironically most of the problem solving consists of shoot gun in this direction to kill guy. Or wave sword. Whatever.

But people will still complain about it. So long as Fox News exists, Nintendo could solve world hunger, Microsoft could find the cure for cancer, and Sony could bring world peace, and Fox News would STILL do everything they could to bring them down.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
wow, thats actually pretty good hearted of them, considering that in most country's the ratings are just there to guide the consumer and/or their parents and not rules (today i saw a 7 year old buy operation flashpoint) this may hurt their sales.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Now how do we get the parents to take it seriously. It's one thing if they watch the videos, it's another if they actually pay attention and learn from it. After that, how do we get every parent in the world to watch these videos. This may work, but never on a full-scale, worldwide front.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
But wait! Don't you know that 90% of the world's population are idiots? Seriously, I was actually asked by some tourists in Edinburgh why everyone was wearing trousers instead of "Those funny skirts".

Anyway.
I can't really see fault in what Activision are doing here, if they are attempting to teach parents what the ratings mean, bravo. This may actually mean that the media can actually point towards the parent if little Timmy is found to have played Manhunt after strangling his baby sister.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Look, the parents that say the don't understand them are either:

a) Complete idiots

or

b) Lying

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
appleblush said:
So long as Fox News exists, Nintendo could solve world hunger, Microsoft could find the cure for cancer, and Sony could bring world peace, and Fox News would STILL do everything they could to bring them down.
That about wraps up my opinion nicely, though Activision are to be commended for at least trying to take some of the heat off games themselves and put it where it belongs (In the case of children playing games at least) on the parents.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Woodsey said:

a) Complete idiots

or

b) Lying
I think you have a vastly skewed view considering your familiarity with the subject.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What? How hard are these ratings to figure out? It's not rocket science. If it has an 'M' rating on it, your 6 year old kid probably shouldn't be playing it; not hard to figure out. Then again, considering most people are idiots, then maybe it's understandable. While they're at it, they should probably hand out instructions on breathing.

Edit:
GamerLuck said:
appleblush said:
So long as Fox News exists, Nintendo could solve world hunger, Microsoft could find the cure for cancer, and Sony could bring world peace, and Fox News would STILL do everything they could to bring them down.
That about wraps up my opinion nicely, though Activision are to be commended for at least trying to take some of the heat off games themselves and put it where it belongs (In the case of children playing games at least) on the parents.
Hmmmm... you do make a good point. Well I do applaud Activision for that. After all I have been saying for quite some time that as long as the ESRB exists, no parent should be able to complain about the content of video games.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Woodsey said:

a) Complete idiots

or

b) Lying
I think you have a vastly skewed view considering your familiarity with the subject.
Ok, if their first language isn't English, thats fair enough - but other wise its written IN PLAIN ENGLISH what the potentially objectional content is.

Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Okay, I know Activision is the current Big Bad Wolf in the industry, and an entity that gamers love to despise. But I'm hard-pressed to find anything in this initiative that could be turned around against the company.
Perhaps that's it. In the realization that they are seen as bad guys, especially with some of their more authoritarian decisions as of late, a burst of PR - that could quite easily be done by the ESRB instead - may bring them back to being the darlings.

Just as the amount of pre-orders for sub-18 year olds hits.

It concerns me more that Activision believe (even if rightly) that parents are too uninformed to make that decision. I think it's more likely, having been in the retail business for sometime, that parents simply don't care and want Johnny Q. Public to shut up about that damn game.

I also believe that this reliance on the ratings is going to help the case on ratings of books which is being pushed through at the moment; which is really going to hurt published authors.

benylor

May 30, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Woodsey said:

a) Complete idiots

or

b) Lying
To be fair, it is quite hard to see "18" on a game and not know that it means that it's recommended that this game is played only by those over the age of 18 - even with that, most of the time it's obvious with the box art. I can't see any way to not understand this besides wilful ignorance or apathy. Then again, I have family members who call me for help when they get an unexpected message on their computer asking them to click "OK" to continue.

It certainly can't hurt at all, and it reinforces the gaming industry's position and makes it easier for more violent/(im)mature/awesome games to be released, so I'm all for this. I won't see it as proof that Activision isn't evil though, because it's obvious that they stand to gain from this. Good move that I appreciate, but it benefits them as well so it can't be seen as a selfless act to benefit the gaming industry :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Woodsey said:

a) Complete idiots

or

b) Lying
Maybe I'm simplifying a bit, but if it's got an 18+ on the front of the box (or an M I think if you're in the states) then you know the content is probably not going to be all too appropriate for a 10 year old.

The symbols aren't hard to miss or understand. I'll admit I've got seemingly conflicted views on the matter, but I do think things are basically that simple. Fair enough if a person says: "my child's more than mature enough to play this game," but it gets boring when we have idiots claiming they don't understand the symbols or that they don't even see them.

Then we get the likes of Glenn Beck saying GTA IV is aimed at 5 year olds.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i figured it out! there not being nice, there just being there bussiness selves...

u remeber the leaked MW2 footage, they dont wanna get in trouble for it, so they do this, nobody can complain at them then cause they told you how to buy games properly.

but at least all the stupid parents will no what to do, shame idiot prents wont bother looking at this cause they wont give a shit.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
well... to be fair, the ESRB ratings can be desceptive at times, "use of alcohol" because 1 guy was drunk in 1 cutscene that lasted 15 secconds and such, "Mature content" because you could have sex (wich is almost always a black screen with the female or male character saying things that "might" mean something sexual) and such things

i imagine a kid telling his parents "its rated M but it doesn´t have such bad things" and then showing their parents all the game, just skipping those parts (wich in most games, you can)

this is a good way to inform parents of the real content, by providing examples of how "grave" the "mature content" or the "use of drugs" can be.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Good job Activision. Helping inform parents about the details of a game is a great idea. Beyond presence of blood and gore, teaching parents about the kind of content that kids might enjoy is a great move. That makes a lot of sense. There is a sad part to it though, and that is that some parents are still baffled by the age appropriate ratings, in terms of adult content. I know I'm skewed, but seriously, there's no excuse for looking at a game like GTA and somehow not getting that it has adult content. But if we can ignore the ramblings of stupid parents saying they didn't realize that a game whose name is a felony might contain crime, we can start to help parents understand the nuances of games, and become smarter consumers and more involved parents.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Glefistus said:
Doug said:
Seriously, WTF? How do parents find it hard to grasp? Its spelled out on the damn label! Are they too lazy to read?

I don't even live in the USA, but I can tell roughly what a game is like from its ratings.
Exactly. It is like people are TRYING to remain ignorant and totally stupid when it comes to games. We should start I.D.ing at the counter as mandatory for mature games, that will send parents the message.
But they do ask for ID when you try to buy an M rated game...