Analyst: Nintendo Saved Sony in the Console Wars

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Analyst: Nintendo Saved Sony in the Console Wars

This generation of the console wars has been a rough one for Nintendo [http://www.sony.com].

Sony's domination of the previous generation of the videogame market with the PlayStation 2 was absolute, but that all went out the window with the debut of the PlayStation 3. At $599, the unit was priced substantially higher than its competitors and Sony's attempt to justify the cost with the built-in Blu-ray player just didn't take flight. Sony took a first-to-worst tumble, slapped down by its mortal rival, Microsoft.

But while the situation was dire, predictions of the PlayStation's demise never came true, largely, according to Nintendo Wii [http://www.dfcint.com/wp/?p=264]. While the Xbox 360 was slapping around the PS3, the Wii was merrily pounding the crap out of both of them like an angry Newfie chasing down a couple of baby seals.

"The main danger Sony faced was that the Xbox 360 would become embedded as the system of choice. Instead consumers flocked to the Nintendo Wii," the report says. "The Xbox 360 had solid sales, but they have not been enough to give Microsoft anywhere near a breakout market position. In many respects, Sony was saved by the success of the Wii."

Now, with the playing field leveled and the popularity of the Wii apparently waning, Microsoft's inability to deliver a knockout punch may very well come back to bite the company in the ass. "The cards are in Sony's favor and now is the time to make the most of them," the report says. "The next year will be extremely important for PlayStation 3 sales and Sony's overall position in the marketplace. Now is the time for Sony to shine."

via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226580?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I may be getting a PS3 for christmas, so here's to evening the numbers!

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
The inability for a clear leader to emerge from the console scrum hurts gaming as a whole. Developers have to waste money on multiple ports rather than improove their content. I don't care who wins so long as some one does. The ony people who benifit from the console wars are porting and advertizing companies.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
Yay Sony and Microsoft are fighting and now its Sony's turn to win some ... ok my statement to this is an awesome "ok, and?" neither company has enough to take the other out and since everyone is finally seeing that the Wii is nothing more than BS everything will no return to where is was when the just before and a little after the 360 launched, except reverse the rolls.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
You know I was going to murder this article with a rusty spoon, but it makes a very good point.
I guess as a Sony owner I should pay my respects to Nintendo.

Now Sony; If you mess up this upcoming year I'm going to unleash the ultimate stink bomb (as seen in Ed, Edd, n Eddy) upon your conference room.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
the Wii was merrily pounding the crap out of both of them like an angry Newfie chasing down a couple of baby seals.
Nice analogy there. So remember, everytime you're playing your Wii, to perfect that seal-clubbing swipe. :)

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
As an owner of a ps3, I hope they get stronger then ever and make lots of good games. Though a cheaper price for the games would be good too, lol. Still, uh...thanks Nintendo? I guess?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Actually Microsoft has the advantage going into the next cycle. They might not be as popular as the Wii, but they still have the PS2's advantage of nearly everything worth playing coming out for their system. Wii doesn't have that, and PS3 either has the same games but a lower quality, not enough extras, or just not at all. And the exclusives they do have are few and far between.

Honestly, Sony pulled the price drop too late in the game. Yeah the sales have gone up but Microsoft had a base set up before the other system entered the house, so any time a multiplatform game comes out, the player will buy the 360 version because they already have so much invested in that system it'll be hard to cross over.

Even though Wii is selling like crazy, the 360 is the "PS2" this time around. "Xbox" has for the most part replaced "Playstation" in mainstream vernacular, and you always see a 360 being played off screen in regular commercials (the same way you'd always see a Dualshock in commercials about 5 years ago).

Add to the fact that Sony pulled a LOOOOOT of bullshit and their public reputation to some gamers has been irreparably damaged.

But, at the same time Nintendo has sold itself into a corner. How many of the 50-some-million people with a Wii actually play it regularly enough to justify a new system? I can bet you it's less than half.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
As if the Wii took any customers away from the PS3 and 360. It doesn't compete with those, few people go "do I buy a Wii or a 360/PS3?", they go "do I buy a Wii?" independent of "do I buy a PS3 or 360?". That analyst sees nothing but NPD numbers, isn't he supposed to look deeper at the WHY?

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Cool.
I still don't care what consoles selling more.
I are which ones producing the best games.
But that's just me, I'm crazy that way.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
I just honestly don't see Sony surpassing Microsoft in number of consoles/product moved for this generation. Sure the PS3 is coming into it's own (and its about damn time), but I just don't see how it's possible for it Sony to cover so much lost ground in the 3 or 4 years this generation has left. Chances are if a consumer wants a PS3/360/Wii they already have one, (especially with the price drop) so where exactly is Sony going to pull in the millions of console sales they would need to surpass the 360?

Thats not even factoring that the 360 will keep selling at more or less the same rate it is selling at now, which furthers the ground the PS3 would need to cover. If it does happen well big props to Sony but I just don't see it as being possible without something crazy happening like 360 sales pretty much going down to 0, or the PS3 getting another price drop.

Edit: As far as Nintendo helping Sony I think thats a bit of a stretch. Nintendo's success is attributed to the large amount of nongamers they were able to pull in. These people wouldn't have bought a PS3 or 360 anyways, so you can't really say Nintendo stole consumers away from Microsoft. Furthermore when nongamers think of videogames they DO think of the 360...think about everytime you see a videogame in a mainstream tv show, chances are it's a 360 joypad/console that you'll see.

Then theres Microsofts giant marketting push behind the console and it's games. They've established the 360 as a household name, and lets be honest Sonys marketting efforts have completely sucked until recently. That certianly hasn't helped the PS3 at all.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
...So the Playstation 3 was saved from a horrible beating by the 360 because they were both being horribly beaten by the Wii? Makes sense to me.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Sony has always stated that the PS3 was long term... take a few hits in the beginning and push it really hard later or something of that nature.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
go sony I have been behind you since the PS1 and I wont step back now!
anyway thats pretty interesting but I think wii will still dominate...

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Ugh Console wars. I don't really care who saved who. Aslong as we can just say " I bought the one I wanted the most"