Valve Guy Says British Gamers Need to Speak Up

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Guy Says British Gamers Need to Speak Up

Left 4 Dead [http://www.valvesoftware.com/].

As online multiplayer games have become increasingly sophisticated, the need for clear and immediate communication between players has grown accordingly. A handful of macros tied to keypresses is no longer adequate to handle the needs of large-scale battles, complex strategies and ever-changing situations in game types that are no longer about simply capturing a flag. But according to Faliszek, British gamers are still a bit shy when confronted with a microphone.

"You guys are notorious non-talkers on both 360 and PC. Americans are just chattering away, working together as a team. If you want to work together as a team you've got to talk!" he said in an interview with CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226680].

"You can go into a random 360 game on US servers and it's crazy talk. It's fun," he continued. "I think a lot of people knock that community but again and again I'm surprised by how fun that is. I've played expert campaigns where by the end of it we're best buddies."

It's a hangup British gamers are going to have to get over if they want to have any success with the new Realism mode in Left 4 Dead, Faliszek said. The mode disables on-screen assistance, essentially forcing players to communicate vocally in order to survive.

"Realism mode will prod you - you have to talk. If you don't talk you're not going to make it," he said. "The first time you see people play somebody will go in a house to get some stuff, turn around a be like, 'shit, I can't see anybody.' It's a scary feeling. We'll see if that maybe stimulates the British sternness."

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
They always talk when I play Counter-Strike:Source.

What game's the picture from by the way?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
I think being asked if we want tea and crumpets every time we talk makes us less inclined to the whole idea.

If VALVe find a way to get rid of all the idiots on the internet, I might get a new headset.

EDIT - also, what's that picture? it's awesome!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Every time I talked on CoD4 I got berated for not being from the US.
Same with Halo 3.

I'd talk more if it didn't distract my team.

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
A lot of Americans online have a habit of being stupid while talking. I'd be silent too if I was British :<

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Because we get asked irrating questions, or are repeatedly told "we saved your arse in world war 1/2"

Not funny.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Last time I (as a British person) said something in an online game (Call of Duty, I believe), I had my accent taken the piss out of. Sorry, but you guys are "notorious" for that kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of American friends, but I've met some reeeal pricks.

/rant.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I talk when I have to talk, but most of the time my opinion doesn't matter because my accent is different.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
JugglerPanda said:
A lot of Americans online have a habit of being stupid while talking. I'd be silent too if I was British :<
So apparently Internet microphone dumbassery only applies to Americans? Are we absolutely sure about this? Cause if you are I can introduce you to some recordings of a few foul-mouthed Aussies during games of TF2 I've played.

Yes I admit a lot of my countrymen are idiots especially behind the anonymity shield of the Internet, but personally I like vocal communication no matter what accent is applied to it...as long as I can hear what you're saying that is.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Speak up while they censor my legally purchased uncut game ?
I doubt they'd want to hear what I have to say because it's far from nice or polite.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Maybe I'll start talking when people aren't dicks to me so much...Also, maybe they lower the price of mics so I can actually TALK to people, my dysraxia gives my heavy hands and I'm breaking mics like 2 days after I get them.

I'll probably be avoiding the realism mode on whatever I buy it on, then, thanks for ruining a game mode by forcing you to talk.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Chin chin old spice.

I'm far to busy drinking Earl Grey to talk to those damn colonial's.

What What.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Dyp100 said:
Maybe I'll start talking when people aren't dicks to me so much...Also, maybe they lower the price of mics so I can actually TALK to people, my dyslexia gives my heavy hands and I'm breaking mics like 2 days after I get them.

I'll probably be avoiding the realism mode on whatever I buy it on, then, thanks for ruining a game mode by forcing you to talk.
I don't think you're talking about dyslexia, that's what makes you not able to spell things.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I can say it's pretty much because anyone you're likely to meet gaming outside the UK isn't worth talking to.

That was my opening controversial statement, and now for the real stuff! I know a lot of gamers who play online, many of whom are as loud as any other, but I will say this... if there is a majority of non-talkers who are British, it could well be because America seems more lax in letting its 12 year olds loose in L4D and Halo. That's pretty much fact.

EDIT: Christ and how could I forget?
"Omah gawd, you's from Great Britannia? Go drink some tea limey."
Yeah...we've all had that one.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
If you wish to amend our conservatism, I'd recommend amending the piggishness of the American XBL player base.

Rather than get into a moronic conversation regarding "History according to Hollywood", stereotypes older than the civilised world and other baseless conjecture.

Until then, I will take the high road and remain silent.

P.S. L4D is nothing more than GoW, Halo, Other shooter Horde mode sold as a complete game to idiots.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
That article reminds me that we really need a mute option ingame (not just in the lobby).

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
ShredHead said:
Dyp100 said:
Maybe I'll start talking when people aren't dicks to me so much...Also, maybe they lower the price of mics so I can actually TALK to people, my dyslexia gives my heavy hands and I'm breaking mics like 2 days after I get them.

I don't think you're talking about dyslexia, that's what makes you not able to spell things.
I meant dyspraxia, my spellchecker changed it automatically, IDK why...