Prince of Persia Creator: Movie "Very True to the Spirit" of the Games

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Prince of Persia Creator: Movie "Very True to the Spirit" of the Games

Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner is very pleased with how the film based on his games (starring Jake Gyllenhasselhoff) is shaping up.

Earlier this week, we got our first look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95880-The-Prince-of-Persia-Movies-First-Trailer-is-Surprisingly-Good] at the Prince of Persia film with the release of its official trailer, and the verdict was: Surprisingly, it's not looking bad at all. Sure, it's not exactly 100% faithful to 2003's Sands of Time as the title might lead you to believe, but do you know who's absolutely thrilled with it? Series creator Jordan Mechner, that's who - at least if we're going to judge from his statements during a joint Q&A session with movie producer Jerry Bruckheimer, anyway:

[blockquote]"I was in Morocco. I was seeing some of these things get shot. But the first time I saw a rough assembly of [Jake Gyllenhaal] as Prince Dastan running on the rooftops with arrows being shot at him and swinging, I just got this big smile on my face that wouldn't go away, because I just felt like it was ... like what I saw in my imagination when I played the game, back when the character was 40 pixels high and his face was four pixels square, but seeing it like real in visceral in the best way."[/blockquote]

The reason the movie won't be following the plot of the game exactly is to make it friendlier to people who have never even heard of the parkour platformer - "a movie that can stand on its own even if there never was a video game," said Mechner, "and Prince of Persia is that ... [the film] captures the spirit of the gameplay, but it also really goes beyond it. It is more visceral, more exciting."

Still, the need to make a title that stands on its own merits doesn't mean that the film will be completely divorced from the game. According to Bruckheimer - who has played the Prince of Persia trilogy - "We have a lot of recalls. So when you see the movie, you will say, 'Oh, yeah! I remember that. That is cool. They took that ...' So you will see a lot of the game stuff that is in the movie."

It's a fairly interesting Q&A session, and there's a ton of little trivia there about the film: Jake Gyllerhalfs is in better shape than his stuntmen, it took a year and a half to get the "time rewind" effect just right, and some entirely-avoided questions about future Prince of Persia videogames (or tie-ins to the movie, as strange as that would be). You can read a full writeup over at Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/04/qanda-jordan-mechner-and-jerry-bruckheimer-on-the-pri/].

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Well, I for one will see this in the movies. If it turns out to be bad, then so be it. But I think it actually looks good.
And come on! Jake Gyllabahbahad even looks somewhat like the Prince. They could have picked a far worse actor, that's for sure.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm still fearfull that this movie will have the same goofy joke feel that Pirates of The Caribbean or Shrek had. As soon as things get a little serious, they throw some stupid random joke in to lighten the mood. I hate that.

And still, Jake Gyllenhaal and his American brickface as a Persian prince? It's gonna be a hard sell for me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The trailer was superb - I don't think I've ever seen shots that were as good as some of those (where he does that reverse swan dive thing with the rope for example).

The Sands of Time is one of my all time favourites, but I won't be comparing it as it's obvious they've got the main components but and mixed them around from the SoT trilogy. His armour for example is very Warrior Within whilst the shot where he reverses time is a direct reference to a moment in Two Thrones.

I, for one, can't wait.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Casual Shinji said:
I'm still fearfull that this movie will have the same goofy joke feel that Pirates of The Caribbean or Shrek had. As soon as things get a little serious, they throw some stupid random joke in to lighten the mood. I hate that.

And still, Jake Gyllenhaal and his American brickface as a Persian prince? It's gonna be a hard sell for me.
But wasn't there that levity in the games, too? The Prince was a wisecracker.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
This movie has been put on my "Must see in theaters" list. The first good movie based on a video game? Perhaps...

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Why the hell would you cast a clearly western looking/sounding actor into a role that is meant for someone middle eastern. I mean shit me... is it against the rules in Hollywood to have a good guy who isn't an apple pie, flag saluting American?

Cinema has been shamed.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Wish they'd gone for a more Persian looking cast, but other than that it looks exactly as I thought a PoP movie should look.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Casual Shinji said:

Yeah, but that was mainly due to his royal arrogance getting the better of him in a situation where he had to trust a stange yet aluring woman. He was a nice mixture of Errol Flynn meets Danny Kay.

I'm afraid the movie will go for more of a *wink wink* toilet humor. Family fun-type movies tend to go for that kind of comedy.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Casual Shinji said:

I haven't played the trilogy in a while, but from my memory it seemed much more serious.
Maybe that's just because I recently played the new Prince of Persia, and that was much more lighthearted.
Either way, I'm actually looking forward to this movie. From the trailer, it looks to be pretty good.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Casual Shinji said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Casual Shinji said:

Yeah, but that was mainly due to his royal arrogance getting the better of him in a situation where he had to trust a stange yet aluring woman. He was a nice mixture of Errol Flynn meets Danny Kay.

I'm afraid the movie will go for more of a *wink wink* toilet humor. Family fun-type movies tend to go for that kind of comedy.
That's actually how it came off to me - they certainly said that they're going for the swashbuckling Errol Flynn type, and I doubt Mechner would be pleased if it devolved into toilet humor, since he seems to have been pretty thoroughly involved in the creative process.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Yeah, I really don't see why they have actors that, you know, looked like they came from the region. What are they afraid of exactly?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
It's looking pretty good. Perhaps this shall be the first videogame movie that we must not hang our heads in shame for whenever it is mentioned?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
As long as there's a scene where he falls 100ft off a building, head first, then there's a slow-motion rewind of the 1000 pieces of his head coming back together as he flies back up the building then I'll be happy.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
I'm personally looking forward to it, and honestly, I can pick out some fair resemblances between Jake Gyllenhoigle and The Prince. Although some of his bone structure, in the face, might be a little more dynamic than the Prince's, and he seems to show stronger facial hair (which Persians, I believe, had), and maybe his hair isn't as flat as the Prince's, he's not too off base. One sec-

(Sorry if this stretches a bit)

I can't be the only one who sees some fair resemblance, even if my earlier remarks were a bit off base. Though Jake Galapagos has more hair, it's thinner, and The Prince's jaw is... do people actually have jawlines like that?

WOAH! Unless The Prince's is a scar, they even have the arm vein in the same place... alright, so most people do, but it's funny to see it.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
DC_Josh said:
Why the hell would you cast a clearly western looking/sounding actor into a role that is meant for someone middle eastern. I mean shit me... is it against the rules in Hollywood to have a good guy who isn't an apple pie, flag saluting American?

Cinema has been shamed.
I don't know, I almost thought he sounded a little British-y, but I wouldn't say American, not really.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009

I don't know, faces aren't too far apart for me to feel unsettled. The prince has less of that preposterous jawline in this image

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'm still angry that they're not sticking to the original game plot. I'm sorry, but that game was perfect, FUCKING PERFECT for the big screen. The plot could have been taken literally straight from console to big screen.

To me this movie has/had a lot going for it. A director who seemed right for the mood, good soarce material, some nice actors, big budget ect. It just feels like they've ruined an oppitunity to please both noobys and fans of the game.

EDIT: Jake Gyllenhoigle is certainly not my problem with this movie though. The Prince was white, and so is Jake. Can a Englishman not play a Frenchman?