Stolen Pixels #141: After Curfew, Episode 5

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #141: After Curfew, Episode 5

Mr. Breen has a few things to say about the lack of dedicated server support for PC gamers.

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Kollega said:
Rocket science joke is pretty hilarious,not to mention clever.
When 'Rocket Scientist' was said, I kinda expected Gordon Freeman for some reason... doesn't help I just watched Half-Life in 60 seconds.

Although I must admit I didn't get the joke. probably because I'm not at home, where I leave my intelligence. :|

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
When 'Rocket Scientist' was said, I kinda expected Gordon Freeman for some reason... doesn't help I just watched Half-Life in 60 seconds.

Although I must admit I didn't get the joke. probably because I'm not at home, where I leave my intelligence. :|
John Carmack used all the dosh he got off Doom and Quake to found his own rocket-building company,Armadillo Aerospace.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The whole Call of Duty franchise is a huge cash cow. It's always the same engine and the same features, so there are almost no development costs there. The "new" stuff is only in the levels, narration and some new graphics and models. Basically something a dedicated modding team could do. Still they up the price to 60$ and even cut support. I'd think that's an outrageous milking of the fan base.

But I guess it's all about supply and demand, and if people are willing to dish out 60$ for what is basically always the same game over and over again, they deserve what's coming to them.

Ori Disciple

Oct 22, 2009
Im sure they improved upon the engine.
Its not like its a game that releases every year like the Madden franchise, which would have a hard time upgrading because of that.
Also: Mario, eh? oh Gmod modders, your'e all so crazy. Im a bit curious though: what IS Breen going to talk to mario about? curious...

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Ori Disciple said:
There will perhaps be small improvements and changes (even though I don't see any real difference in the engine of Call of Duty 4, 5 and 6) but it's minimal compared to what id Software does, for instance. Every time a new id game comes out you clearly see the new graphical features and enhancements in gameplay.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Ori Disciple said:
There will perhaps be small improvements and changes (even though I don't see any real difference in the engine of Call of Duty 4, 5 and 6) but it's minimal compared to what id Software does, for instance. Every time a new id game comes out you clearly see the new graphical features and enhancements in gameplay.
Could be worse... could be a Mario game, which they've been reselling for the past...20? Years - if not, longer ;).

Still, its a sad time to be a PC gamer it seems. We might now have reached the real beginning of the end :(

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Shamus Young said:
The whole PR debacle was like telling a guy who just lost both of his legs that he's going to be rich because he'll never have to buy shoes again. I know public relations people are pre-programed to lie in all situations, but this is one of those cases where perhaps honesty was at least worth a shot.
I have to agree with this completely. Seems that the more gaming companies try to ice things over with some slick PR Bullshit Mumbo Jumbo to try and make a bad change sound like it's in our better interests, the more it just enrages gamers more. We aren't your average Americans, and the sooner gaming companies realize they can't lie to us like the government can lie to everyone else, the better.

Honestly though, I don't see how dedicated servers is any skin off their back. FPS titles in particular have worked just fine with fan-provided servers to play on. If anything, Infinity Ward could have used this to make a little extra profit by letting players rent servers rather than running the servers on their own bill. So I would still argue that is was less of a business decision, and more of a "we're just lazy" decision. Though I suppose the two can go hand-in-hand sometimes. ;)

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Doug said:
Tiamat666 said:
Ori Disciple said:
Could be worse... could be a Mario game, which they've been reselling for the past...20? Years - if not, longer ;).

Still, its a sad time to be a PC gamer it seems. We might now have reached the real beginning of the end :(
You can't really call every Mario game the same unless you're going to call EVERY platformer the same game, just different levels. CoD, however, is more sophisticated and can change the experience more easily than simple platformers. With Mario games you're usually confined to two buttons and movement controls, but CoD gives you the possibility to create a huge number of different scenarios. The core of something like a platformer is about keeping controls simple while changing the environment while a shooter is more about putting the player in scenarios that, presumably, require more than walking forward and shooting.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Shamus Young said:
The whole PR debacle was like telling a guy who just lost both of his legs that he's going to be rich because he'll never have to buy shoes again. I know public relations people are pre-programed to lie in all situations, but this is one of those cases where perhaps honesty was at least worth a shot.
I have to agree with this completely. Seems that the more gaming companies try to ice things over with some slick PR Bullshit Mumbo Jumbo to try and make a bad change sound like it's in our better interests, the more it just enrages gamers more. We aren't your average Americans, and the sooner gaming companies realize they can't lie to us like the government can lie to everyone else, the better.

Wait a second, your general public believe what the government tell them?! What a strange land - over here, the majority of people know that the words of a politicians mouth are usually worth their weigh (and given its hot air, thats even less than normal air).

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
randommaster said:
Doug said:
Tiamat666 said:
Ori Disciple said:

You can't really call every Mario game the same unless you're going to call EVERY platformer the same game, just different levels. CoD, however, is more sophisticated and can change the experience more easily than simple platformers. With Mario games you're usually confined to two buttons and movement controls, but CoD gives you the possibility to create a huge number of different scenarios. The core of something like a platformer is about keeping controls simple while changing the environment while a shooter is more about putting the player in scenarios that, presumably, require more than walking forward and shooting.
I was more teasing him - although Mario does whore himself out abit too much, but what I meant was he was complaining about MW2 being the same as CoD4: MW1, which is abit silly. Even Mario 3 was a very different from Mario 1 (lets skip the bizzaire Mario 2).

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
The whole Call of Duty franchise is a huge cash cow. It's always the same engine and the same features, so there are almost no development costs there. The "new" stuff is only in the levels, narration and some new graphics and models. Basically something a dedicated modding team could do. Still they up the price to 60$ and even cut support. I'd think that's an outrageous milking of the fan base.
You forgot a rather critical portion; the plot. The Modern Warfare games have been pretty good about that, since their updated setting allows them to get a lot more complex than "KILL DEM NAZEES".

But I guess it's all about supply and demand, and if people are willing to dish out 60$ for what is basically always the same game over and over again, they deserve what's coming to them.
From all accounts, excellent games? Why dontcha just use the word "overrated" already?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Doug said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Shamus Young said:

Wait a second, your general public believe what the government tell them?! What a strange land - over here, the majority of people know that the words of a politicians mouth are usually worth their weigh (and given its hot air, thats even less than normal air).
The whole "War on Terrorism" bullshit is all the proof I need that people believe what the government tells them. But let's not get this derailed too far by going into that.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Smooth move, Metro, you friggin' idiot. You better schedule two pistol-whippings for that act of stupidity.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yeh damn them for lying! although its not like that is new. XD

every thing that was said here i whole heartily agree! ^-^

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Shamus Young said:
I know public relations people are pre-programed to lie in all situations, but this is one of those cases where perhaps honesty was at least worth a shot.
We're not pre-programmed to lie, we're pre-programmed to exaggerate and pick and choose information ...and to self destruct upon hearing the words "product recall."