Jaroo Brings Back Classic Videogame Cartoons

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Jaroo Brings Back Classic Videogame Cartoons

Jaroo is like Hulu but with 100% more Captain Lou Albano.

A new cartoon-focused online viewing destination called Jaroo.com [http://www.jaroo.com/] launched last week, and while it seems to be focused on younger children for now, it does have some content that could interest videogame fans. Jaroo is hosting classic episodes of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, The Legend of Zelda, Captain N, and Sonic Underground. These shows are far from the most compelling cartoons in existence, but they do have their own special places in videogame history.

Of note here is The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, launched in 1989. It featured Mario — played by the late Captain Lou Albano — and Luigi — played by the Albano-overshadowed Danny Wells — in live action skits interspersed between animation shorts. The animation looks pretty bad today, but it's worth checking out an episode if you've never seen it for the "interesting" banter between Albano and Wells and to find out what it means to "do the Mario." I already discovered that Mario and Luigi are big Charles in Charge fans just from watching the first episode.

Captain N was one of my favorite shows as a kid, as embarrassing as that may be to admit. I wanted nothing more than to enter a videogame just like the main character, fighting alongside Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Kid Icarus, and a Game Boy against villains such as Mother Brain, Dr. Wily, and King Hippo. Though the representations of these characters are nearly vomit-inducing (Mega Man in particular), it's worthy to mention that a show like Captain N that brings so many different videogame characters together will probably never be created again.

The Legend of Zelda, which I believe was also a feature of The Super Mario Bros Super Show!, features a wisecracking Link that often utters "Excuuuse me, princess" as he battles moblins and other Ganondorf goons. Really, to be believed these these shows must be seen, so watch a few episodes and marvel at the strange animated past of classic Nintendo franchises. When you're finished, don't forget to do the Mario!

(Via: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS128598+03-Nov-2009+BW20091103])

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I saw a video on youtube of each time Link says his infamous "Excuuuuuuuse me, Princess".

Of the fifteen or so episodes of that show, a good seven minutes of the entirety of it was him saying that line.

Dissnitive

Nov 10, 2009
"Excuuuuuuuuse me, Princess" Damn it....I worked so damn hard to kill it from my brain....

-Goes to refill nostalgia meter-

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I refuse to take this channel seriously until they get the old Dragon's Lair and Space Ace cartoons. I mean, it's nice and all, but still... those are my high water mark of nostalgia.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I remember Super Mario and Captain N. They weren't exactly good, but I watched them because of the limited game related content then. Nostalgia at its finest.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
These shows were great back in the day...but trust me, they have not aged well. At all. The Super Mario Bros. Super Show gives me headaches now. Sooo bad.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Finally I got to see the infamous Legend of Zelda series....I lasted through the opening credits of the first episode. My....god....it really is as bad as they say, I actually died a little on the inside. I mean wtf Link is a total douche and Zelda's wearing F'ing bell-bottoms. Why were the archives of this show never burnt and launched into the sun? By the way, Link should never....EVER speak, the worst part is I know his voice actor is still in the business today, and that sends horrific chills down my spine.

Luckily, my memory of the Mario show remains untainted. I still find it entertaining, a smidge cheesy but it has that wonderful late 80's cartoon feeling that I grew up on. I know it says the Zelda cartoon was shown in the Mario show, but my memory leaves me to believe I never saw it till just a few minutes ago, maybe it was so scaring that I repressed the memories.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
Swing your arms.... from side to side, come on it's time to go, DO THE MARIO! Take one step... and then again...

Is it bad that I can remember that off the top of my head?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
That Legend of something-or-other cartoon...yeah, we don't talk about that abomination of both gaming and television.

Seriously, it embarrased the games and the better chunk of television.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Sonic Underground? Why not SATAM, which according to my nostalgia meter, is better?

Ah well, it's the thought that counts. Get this man some original Power Rangers, STAT!

EDIT: Thanks to Sharphoe for showing me this earlier:

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
damn gotta catch santa looks horrible, but beside being forced to watch 1 min of the pain that is Shatners career, its a great site.

Link was kinda a douche back when he where a brunette.

Zelda: "Wonderful its getting BIGGER!" *splash* *dries off face* man in robe and wizardhat: "Ooops"

edit: i am so doing the mario this weekend, its as good a way to meet nerdy girls as any.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Oh god. I think I have to give this one a skip. It was painful enough to read about.