Ghetto Golf: Where Golf Meets Guns

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ghetto Golf: Where Golf Meets Guns

Illfonic's Ghetto Golf might just have the most ridiculous premise for a videogame since 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Most people bring a baseball hat and maybe their lucky charm when they hit the golf course or the driving range. Vonte, the main character of Illfonic's Ghetto Golf, brings a machine gun.

Good, because the mean streets of Oakland, California, are no place to play games with your life, but they are a far worse place to play games of golf. Vonte's a scrappy kid trying to make it big in the world in the golfing world, and to do that he has to find and nail a series of golf holes strewn through Oakland. Vonte'll have to track down holes and decipher urban courses to hit paydirt - sometimes banking a shot off a dumpster or a gas station primed to explode is the only way to nab that birdie. Only problem aside from that, of course, is that he'll have to fight through gangsters, cops and rivals to make it to the top.

Not too big a deal for Vonte, though. He's got his guns, which can be upgraded a la Resident Evil 4/5 and are fired Gears of War style, but he also has his explosive golf balls and performance-enhancing drugs that'll give him the edge he needs. We're not talking steroids here, we're talking straight up narcotics. And Illfonic's Chuck Brungardt wonders if his game's too edgy.

Once Vonte has climbed the ladder, he'll move on to more upscale environs, like an area full of cops and hippies (guessing this is supposed to be Oakland's less dodgy Bay Area neighbor San Francisco) and eventually a full-fledged country club.

The game is the brainchild of R&B artist and producer Raphael Saadiq, who spent much of his childhood devising makeshift golf courses in the real Oakland. Saadiq's best known for his work in 90s group Tony! Toni! Toné! Remember them? Yeah, me neither.

So far Ghetto Golf only exists in prototype form as an Unreal Tournament 3 mod, but Illfonic hopes to get it made into a genuine downloadable game for PC, PS3 and 360, and they were shopping it around to publishers at GDC. Here's hoping for the best.

[Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/13/ghetto-golf-combines-golf-with-guns-needs-publisher/]]

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Okay, here's the deal: Take out the killing of cops and other people, and just leave in the urban golfing with exploding golf balls and banking it off of buildings, and you might have a game. If you keep the extra "ghetto" stuff in it, I won't touch it.

It would be like Michael Jordan's Nike commercials from back in the day. It *could* be sweet.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
At first I wasn't even going to give this game the dignity of a reply, but I'm tired of these games that appeal to the lowest common denominator and take the place of where mentors are absent to promote instability and disunity in poor communities and families, self hate, violence, bad graduations rates and terrible use of a game engine.

It's interesting how it's set in the Bay Area though. I was born and have lived here all my life. San Francisco has been described as Oakland's less "dodgy" neighborhood but SF and our less populated neighbor Richmond has beat Oakland in the murder rate year by year for nearly a decade, and before that the puny EPA was in the lead.

cptjack42

Mar 16, 2009
Unkillable Cat said:
wow, they really have run out of ideas havent they?
My thoughts exactly...

Seriously, when will developers stop abusing the ghetto as an idea for videogames? It wasn't that interesting a setting to begin with.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I recall reading about a game called Link's Extreme Golf Tour or something (may have been an april's fools joke, looked pretty photoshopped but then again that was in an era where games actually used photo sprites on shoddy 3d terrain) that was basically golf crossed with Scorched Earth, using thermonuclear golf balls and other fun stuff like that to eliminate the opposition.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Oh yea, if this is anywhere close to decent its going to be on a lot of peoples 'guilty pleasure' list.
If it doesn't collapse under the weight of its own crazy mesh of ideas, I have a sneaking suspicion it may work its way on to mine.