GameStop Breaks Demigod Street Date; Stardock CEO "Very Unhappy"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Breaks Demigod Street Date; Stardock CEO "Very Unhappy"

Demigod [http://www.stardock.com/], a move that forced the early digital release of the game and brought tired Stardock employees back to work through the Easter weekend.

Demigod was originally slated for release on April 14 but GameStop put it on sale last week, causing no end of aggravation for Wardell and the folks at Stardock. "First, it was Easter weekend. And many of us had just finished a good solid eight weeks of massive crunch and were looking forward to the weekend to recover," he wrote on the Impulse blog [http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/346061/Demigod_is_early]. "Instead, we found ourselves back at work having to turn on and configure the multiplayer matchmaking servers (we had enough for a beta but not for thousands of people)."

The absence of copy protection on Stardock games means that piracy of the game will be maximized "in theory," since it wasn't available anywhere but GameStop, even if only briefly. On the upside, Wardell, who is well known in gaming circles for his support of "gamers' rights" and opposition to intrusive DRM, said the unique situation will allow Stardock to "actually see the effects of piracy."

"Since we know Demigod is an outstanding game with a wide appeal with equal retail and digital distribution to other titles that came out this year with similar demographics we can see how well it sells compared to them," he wrote.

There's been plenty of speculation as to how all this came about in the first place. Some observers have suggested GameStop intentionally released the game early to get an edge on Stardock's digital release of the game on its Impulse network, but Wardell declined to comment in his post. "There have been plenty of discussions about whether GameStop did this intentionally or not which I won't go into here," he wrote. But he told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23203] that he's not ready to drop the matter with GameStop just yet. "We're still discussing with [GameStop] how exactly this happened," he said. "Obviously we're very unhappy, as it has made getting online connectivity going a lot tougher than expected."

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
This sucks for Stardock indeed.

And the gamers only get hurt on the process.

Fail GameStop is fail...

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Why does anyone even trust Gamestop to distribute their software any more?

icarusfountain

Dec 24, 2008
I really hope this doesn't end up hurting Stardock. They're a great group of folks over there, and I always try to show my appreciation of their (a) hard work and (b) support of our community whenever I can. Stardock is one of those very few companies that I won't even hesitate to hand money to.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
I might've tried to get this if I had a PC. *Sighs*
Well, I'm sure you can find a pc that runs WC3 and then you can just DL dota. Its like fifty bucks cheeper.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I might actually buy this game if it's more than just DotA (because I'm not paying 50 dollars for DotA with better graphics and more maps). I'll have to check out a demo.

Anyway, Gamestop is bullshit.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Sewblon said:
They're WalMart. Because they sell so many copies, they get to decide the when and the how, or else the producers of the game aren't gonna have their business at all.

What jerks.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'd say to boycott the place, but chances are the informed gamers here already do.

I'm interested in the piracy aspect of this though.

Minimike3636

Mar 29, 2009
I just read this after reading the thread about some guy getting screwed at Gamestop and receiving only $2.25 for two games. I always go to Gamestop for my games. I have to reconsider.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
avykins said:
So they sold the game before Stardocks official release date? Can't they be fined/sued for that?
Probably. There's something called anti-competitive business practices, vis-a-vis the digital distribution and that's just for starters. There also exist representation laws in which Gamestop, acting on Stardock's behalf, could be called accountable for making them look bad (releasing a game with no multiplayer servers as complete). I only see Stardock acting on this if there's a truly severe result from it, but I'd agree with oliveira on "fail Gamestop is fail".

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
icarusfountain said:
I really hope this doesn't end up hurting Stardock. They're a great group of folks over there, and I always try to show my appreciation of their (a) hard work and (b) support of our community whenever I can. Stardock is one of those very few companies that I won't even hesitate to hand money to.
Erana said:
Sewblon said:
They're WalMart. Because they sell so many copies, they get to decide the when and the how, or else the producers of the game aren't gonna have their business at all.
What jerks.
I can't actually see this hurting Stardock in the slightest. In the short term, maybe, as far as getting the online multiplayer up to speed, but does anybody ever expect that to go smoothly for anybody besides Blizzard on launch day anyway?

Gamestop is not the Walmart of PC game sales, Walmart is, as is Target, to a lesser extent, and Stardock has retail presence in both stores, while Gamestop's PC game shelfspace is only, what, 5% of their console shelf space? It's only a matter of time before Gamestop's PC sales go the way of their used DVD sales.

In the meantime, Stardock owns their own digital distribution platform, and their own distribution and publishing business. The only fallout they'd be likely to see from embargoing Gamestop is an uptick in Impulse subscribers.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Why do the terrible games have to be the ones to go DRM-free? Seriously, if you have any inclination to play this game, PLAY DOTA [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota] INSTEAD. DotA has a VERY steep learning curve, but its much more rewarding than this game. I've played a few rounds of Demigod multiplayer and about a dozen single player, trying to give it a serious chance to prove me wrong, but I can guarantee it is no where near DotA in terms of fun and quality gameplay. If DotA isn't your cup of tea, just wait till League of Legends [http://www.leagueoflegends.com/pages/gameplay_trailer] comes out.

I'm glad to see this genre taking off, though. I am surprised it took someone so long to make a commercial version of it, or at least I'm not familiar with anything like this outside of DotA/AoS maps on wc3.

EDIT: Err... not sure exactly what I was implying with my first sentence. Since the only other non-drm games that come to mind are World of Goo, Braid, and Savage, all of which are pretty good. Bleh. Anyway, my point is I'm hoping they realize that the game being crappy is what caused bad sales, not lack of drm, even if the piracy is ridiculous.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I feel bad for Stardock,they're one of the only devs that aren't in it for the money and actually care about the gamer.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
And the gamers only get hurt on the process.
I can't find any downside for gamers in "game gets sold early". The game was already pressed onto discs anyway so there won't be any missed development, the only thing that gets cut down is the time the stock spends useless in some warehouse with gamers unable to buy it.

Minimike3636 said:
I just read this after reading the thread about some guy getting screwed at Gamestop and receiving only $2.25 for two games.
Couldn't he just say "no, for that money I won't sell them"? That's one screwing you can decide not to take.

GyroCaptain said:
Probably. There's something called anti-competitive business practices, vis-a-vis the digital distribution and that's just for starters.
I don't think antitrust laws apply to that, at most you can get a breach of contract. Stardock can probably sue them under whatever terms the contract contains (or just collect the fee if the contract specifies damages that can be taken without court involvement) and, if necessary, delay future shipments to GS until after the street date. GS isn't important enough to bully people around, they aren't WalMart.