The Matrix Reborn in the Silent Film Era

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Matrix Reborn in the Silent Film Era

Here's something you don't see every day: A sort of "reverse remake" that turns the groundbreaking film The Matrix [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/] into a grainy, piano-driven flick straight out of the golden age of silent films.

Have you ever wondered what the Wachowski brothers' modern sci-fi classic would be like if it had been recorded in 1922? Neither have I, but thanks to the Russian comedy group Bolshaya Raznitsa (Big Difference), we don't have to!

The video features numerous hallmarks from that by-gone era, including thrown pies, grating piano music and even a Charlie Chaplin-esque hero. "I know kung-fu," meanwhile, has been replaced with a rousing bout of fisticuffs and of course the difficulties with selecting the red pill or the blue pill in a black-and-white film are also touched on. A lot of work has gone into this retro-remake and it shows.

Source: The_root_of_all_evil [http://theridiculant.metro.co.uk/2009/11/the-matrix-as-a-silent-film.html] for the tip.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
gotta love jump cuts, pure awesome i wonder why people don't do this kind of film more often

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
I didn't really expect it, but that was actually quite funny. They should make more. Maybe one for each film?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good stuff.

Better stuff. Though that's probably because I've played L4D more recently than I've seen the Matrix.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
That was just amazing. I love both silent movies and The Matrix, though I had never thought a combination of the two could be this good.

Mar 16, 2009
scotth266 said:
Better stuff. Though that's probably because I've played L4D more recently than I've seen the Matrix.
Honestly while the L4D video is bloody hilarious, I wouldn't say it's better. There is something to be said for live-action video over machinima, and I think the Matrix one was executed better. Come on, look at Morpheus' eyebrows!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Spotted it this morning and thought you'd all appreciate it :)
I would've thought they'd put the Agents in there as the Keystone Cops.