EA Vets Launch New Activision Studio

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Vets Launch New Activision Studio

Activision [http://www.activision.com] has announced the opening of Sledgehammer Games, a new studio that will be headed by former Visceral executives Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey.

Schofield and Condrey were formerly the general manager and chief operating officer, respectively, at the EA-owned studio July [http://www.visceralgames.com/] and will assume the same roles at Sledgehammer that they held at Visceral.

"This was an opportunity for us to assemble a world-class team made up of developers with a proven track record in delivering top-rated games," Schofield said. "We know what it takes to develop a Game of the Year title, and we also know that the title needs the support of a strong publisher to make the game a success."

"Activision Blizzard's independent studio model is very empowering," added Condrey. "We have a fantastic new studio facility, the foundation for a world-class team and the backing of the industry's most profitable game publisher. This was a rare opportunity we couldn't pass up."

It's hard to imagine that this isn't a real kick in the ass for closed the doors [http://www.ea.com] at Pandemic. There is one potential upside, however; Sledgehammer is "actively recruiting" talent to work on its first, unannounced project, which could be a boon for a lot of EA employees left jobless by its recent troubles.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Wow, you know what they say, when one door closes, you need to backtrack to find the right keycard that will open the other door.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
heyheysg said:
Wow, you know what they say, when one door closes, you need to backtrack to find the right keycard that will open the other door.
Lol that was pretty funny. :)

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The problem with this is that because of activisions policies, they will never make more then 1 games with a bazzilion pieces of dlc and sequels.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
OK, on one hand, I love the name "Sledgehammer games" - this makes me want to buy anything they make. On the other hand, I don't like Activision.

Also, isn't a bit of hype and a release all that's needed to get Game of the Year somewhere?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Woo yay! Run to the Reich, you dirty cowards! No-one is going to regret your countless sequels plunging into "so bad it's horrible" territory.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kollega said:
Woo yay! Run to the Reich, you dirty cowards! No-one is going to regret your countless sequels plunging into "so bad it's horrible" territory.
Does this count as a Godwin? I think it does.

:p

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Kollega said:
Does this count as a Godwin? I think it does.

:p
Well, i meant "reich" as in "empire", and put it there because it's a case of added alliterative appeal.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
EA and Activision better not combine because of this into AA: Activision Arts.

with EA´s marketing and repeat tactics combined with Activisions idioticness, selling tactics and evil schemes, they would end the industry.