Uncharted 2

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Uncharted 2

Special Wednesday Edition: Yahtzee explains his disdain for Nathan Drake and Uncharted 2.

Read Full Article

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
So how does that stack up with Lara Croft? I mean, we do see some parts of her private life but you still consider her evil.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i really enjoy these articles, more so than ZP, and i agree for the most parts, though watching Drake feed his fish would just make me think that those poor fishies would die from hunger while he was out being a douche.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I still love Drake as a character. Yeah, he lacks in the humanity, but he's so charming that I can't criticize him. The game is one huge cliché, but I love it. The charm in Uncharted 2 takes it a long way, and even though it may not be original, it's extremely well polished. Also, when Nathan laughs in that sarcastic way it makes my heart swoon.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I don't see why people care about the plot in games as much as they do. The only game I've ever given a shit about the plot in was Battlefield Bad Company. But that might be because I prefer multiplayer.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Nice article, he brrings up some good points, but I haven't played the game so I cannot say much. However I can't understand why this game is considered to be so great when its concept is absolutely unoriginal and uncreative, and doesn't seem different from the first game at all.

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Can't say I can really properly comment on this, as I haven't played the game or its predecessor. But I will say that making the main character a douchebag only works...wait, no, it never works.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Interesting that you label some of those with unique stories, whilst criticizing them earlier for being unoriginal and uncreative. Similarly interesting how the biggest compliment the game has received is that it's pretty, visual, and cinematic--all good qualities, but there's no good word to be had for gameplay. One would think an acclaimed game would have acclaim about the gameplay...hmmm...

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
oppp7 said:
I don't see why people care about the plot in games as much as they do. The only game I've ever given a shit about the plot in was Battlefield Bad Company. But that might be because I prefer multiplayer.
NICE!
That was a fun plot for a fun game, quite simply put.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
"While some might find the character uninteresting, one must at least recognize that they have exceptional voice acting and, in a rare moment for a game, quality physical acting as well."

Thats a comment I've always hated seeing. It always reminds me of when they get John Hurt to read some gash autobiography (See 50 cents memoirs below). Although it sounds amazing, people should never hide use it the quality of the actual story/writing. Unfortunately some people can't tell them apart, case and point with the MGS series.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Isn't it ironic that even Mr. Alpha Self Important Bearded Tosser himself doesn't find Gaythan Drake relateable?

Mintycabbage

Dec 3, 2008
I liked Nathan Drake, but I suppose Yahtzee is right in saying that he doesn't act very human (bullet absorbing and uber-physical strength aside). I did wonder at the intro, where he actually lived.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I agree with everything Yahtzee says about the story and Drake as a character. Despite all this, I still loved the game, and I dispute his claim that it's wholly generic and doesn't do anything new. I would argue that the game does something new, in that it brings the high-octane action normally reserved solely for cutscenes as close to pure gameplay as I've yet witnessed.

There were points during the game where an action sequence started, and I just stopped moving and died because my brain has been so conditioned that when the action starts, it's a cutscene and I should just sit back and watch. I've never played a game that has me actually in (relative) control during those sequences. Add to that the fact that it is one of the best looking games I've ever seen, period, and really excellent pacing throughout the game, and you have a winner.

Seriously, I was trying to shoot guys on the train level during the mountain part and I was too busy picking my jaw up off the floor. And leaping out of a building as it collapses with you inside of it in a gameplay sequence? Maybe the story and core gameplay mechanics aren't original in the least, but the presentation and technical accomplishment is unreal.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Full disclosure: I've never played either of the Uncharted games. This is based mostly on the feedback I've heard from others and some bits I've seen played.

It never seemed to me that Nathan Drake was trying to be anything better or more enlightened than he already was. He appears to see himself as the paragon of the archeological adventurer, punching Indiana Jones in the face while shagging Lara Croft into submission.

I'm not saying heroes shouldn't have self-confidence, but being that kind of smug self-important jerk tends to make the "hero" somewhat unlikeable. In my humble opinion, at least.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
AfterAscon said:
"While some might find the character uninteresting, one must at least recognize that they have exceptional voice acting and, in a rare moment for a game, quality physical acting as well."

Thats a comment I've always hated seeing. It always reminds me of when they get John Hurt to read some gash autobiography (See 50 cents memoirs below). Although it sounds amazing, people should never hide use it the quality of the actual story/writing. Unfortunately some people can't tell them apart, case and point with the MGS series.
I gotta be honest, I never thought the voice acting in MGS was that good either, to be honest. It was better than average, but it doesn't hold a candle to many of the greats, or even some of the pretty goods. At least, this was my opinion of 1 and 2. I always felt they were a little short of emotion for a lot of the time. It's like saying Helena Bonham Carter made a good crazy lady in Sweeney Todd because she had funky hair and baked people in pies. Sure, what's behind it is fine, but if you actually pay attention, she's not all there. And yes, I'm saying I thought the writing in MGS was good.

WhizEd

Aug 21, 2009
Hilarious. But still, every other review bent over backwards for this game, so despite its cliches and dusturbing characters, it'll still go down in history as something better than it is. Kind of sad, really.

Erkenbrand

Dec 8, 2008
As you pointed out, a game attempting to emulate a movie is like a dog almost managing to be a cat. Yet, your standard for good game writing is, "Would I be interested in watching a movie or reading a book entirely about any of these characters?" Is game writing perhaps a different animal from something that is purely cinematic?