Brad Pitt to Star in Dark Void Movie

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Brad Pitt to Star in Dark Void Movie

Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011605.html?categoryid=13&cs=1] has reported that Brad Pitt's production company signed a contract with Capcom to develop a movie based on Dark Void.

Pitt has signed on to play Dark Void's main character, 1950s cargo pilot William Agustus Grey, who crash lands in the Bermuda Triangle and wakes up in a parallel universe. Though the timing feels somewhat early - the retro-sci-fi shooter isn't even due out in North America until January 19th - Dark Void might be compelling enough for a film franchise. Grey and other survivors, including Nicola Tesla, contend against the Watchers, an alien race poised to take over our world. Oh, and there are jetpacks.

The early announcement might be a coup for films based on videogames as such movies don't usually garner such A-list talent like Pitt. The fact that his company, Plan B, is producing the film as well may prove interesting. Plan B's track record is pretty good with films such as Troy, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Departed under their belts.

Is it just me or is anyone else worried this movie going to suck as bad as The Rocketeer [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102803/]?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
This is an odd turn. A video game movie with a credible actor?

Come to think of it, video game movies have taken an interesting turn for the better lately. Maybe it's because Uwe Boll hasn't had his grubby hands on one for a while...

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I had high hopes for this game since the moment I first caught wind of it.

A film though...I just don't see it, though it could be amusing, is that the right word? Or should I resort to something more cynical?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think The Rocketeer blew chips because Disney was just simply wrong for the material. Rocket Rangers being the stuff of lurid pulp adventure, and the Commando Cody character from seriels was pretty banal. I saw the whole "Radar Men From The Moon" seriel on a VHS (non stop) once which was co-starring Clayton Moore (The Lone Ranger) and the thing is basically non-stop gunfights, fistfights, and car chases. Old science fiction pulp novels are in many cases nothing but the same, except throw in a lot of sexual innuendo, bondage, and MAYBE a genuinely clever gimmick or spin on something if your lucky.

The end result was that you'd expect a "Rocketeer" movie to be full of non stop action, quirky characters, and innuendo, with a very low brow, and black and white patriotic spin
on almost everything. In other words, the exact opposite of everything that Disney movie was.

Oddly the Cinemaware "Rocket Ranger" game came closer to capturing the style than the movie ever did.

At any rate, the genere has potential. I think done correctly the themes described for Dark Void or other "Rocketeer" concepts COULD be the stuff of a successful franchise. I look at the experimental film "Sky Captain, and The World Of Tomorrow" as coming fairly close to the atmosphere they would be going for, and while that movie was hardly a success I think it could be improved upon and turned into one.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
This film will never see the light of day, mark my words.... How many game-to-film projects are trapped in development hell, or are just plain DOA? More than I can count...

This seems like the en vogue thing to do in Hollywood these days: Sell or option the rights to a hot (or not-so-hot) game property, then watch helplessly as it's eternally stalled...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
hmm.... Well if Brad likes it I can't argue with him.... A jet-pack..... Interesting....

VonVirgo

Mar 25, 2009
How do you get make a movie based on a video game that's not even out yet? With BRAD PITT no else?! That game better be the shit then.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Well of course.

We all know what a powerhouse success Dark Void is. I know I can't stop playing it...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
"I'm flying!" Quote Brad Pitt

OT: Sounds fun quote Star Craft Terran "Marine"
It sounds interesting. They're taking a huge risk. Hope its worth it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Plan B's track record is pretty good with films such as Troy, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Departed under their belts.
Yeah, pretty good at making crap smell good. I kind of enjoyed Troy, hated Departed and haven't felt the desire to watch Chocolate Factory. Maybe by doing a movie before the game is even released will allow expectations to be not so predictable towards a game inspired movie. But all big stars have at least one or two crap movies under their belt, so this might be Brad Pitt's turn for another.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
It must be one amazing script if Brad Pitt is not only lead role, but his company is producing it.

Or maybe he's trying to go all "artsy" like so many actors seem to do after a while. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Perhaps I'll have to check out the game when it's released.

Feb 13, 2008
*cough* The Postman *cough*

And given who Brad is married to...

familiar, n'est pas?

Rocketeer wasn't that bad though...well, Jennifer Connoly was nice.

Therumancer said:
Oddly the Cinemaware "Rocket Ranger" game came closer to capturing the style than the movie ever did.
Oh man, that was lush! Mad as a bottle of chips.

cheevocabra

May 23, 2009
What the hell dude, the Rocketeer was awesome.

"I may not make an honest buck, but I'm 100% American... and I don't work for no two-bit nazi."

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
It could be interesting, But ofcourse, it's a game movie...already has a few points against it.