177: The Vintage Game Preservation Society

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
The Vintage Game Preservation Society

Want to reconnect with the games of your youth? Be prepared to break the law. Les Chappell explores the (not so) seedy underbelly of the online abandonware community.

Read Full Article

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Thievery, stealing, and piracy.

I'm shocked and apalled that the Escapist would publish an article that so celebrates pirates.

foolishnun

Oct 18, 2008
Home of the Underdogs has been inactive for quite a while now. Apparently it is run by a Thai woman but for the last couple of she has not touched the site. There have been no updates or uploads since I think the beginning of 2006. It all still works I think (discovered it about a year ago)but I assume if it went down, that would be it.

Trevel

May 27, 2008
As it mentions at the end, Abandonware isn't about piracy -- we're talking about things that are no longer sold. Sure we could find the games at flea markets or garage sales, but that's hit-or-miss and won't give any money to the game producers anyways.

The actual people who created the game probably don't even work at the company that would make money if we DID manage to find a way to send the company money for them. (And, based on my admittedly limited personal experience with the actual creators, they're usually just thrilled that people want to play their old games, and could care less about getting the $2 that Donald Duck's Playground might retail for today.)

If the companies start selling the games again, then they're no longer abandonware and the download links are removed and replaced with links to places that sell the software. If this is piracy, then it's the most benign form of piracy that I've ever seen. Much nicer than things like Gameslop, who make their money reselling actively-available software, giving NO money to the original content creators.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
chronobreak said:
bkd69 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
It's still theft. Sorry.
Just because you say so doesn't make it so.
Nah man, it's deff so. It's theft. It's stealing. After reading through 3 pages of arguments, I still don't get what's wrong with a lot of you people. You're splitting hairs. Call a spade a spade.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
The original point of copyright was that it would eventually lapse.

I pause here, while RIAA-types collect themselves.

Copyright law, like patent law, has the ultimate end of enriching society by encouraging people to contribute to the "idea pool". It is supposed to encourage creators by giving them a (time-limited!) monopoly on their contributions, so that they can profit from them and continue to contribute; it's also supposed to encourage others to pick up those ideas after that monopoly period ends and use them to create new works (just like patents) or at least to appreciate them long afterward instead of letting them become lost and forgotten.

The problem is that the period of copyright has been creeping up; originally 25 years after creation, some jurisdictions now recognise 75 years or more. Even more bizzarely, some have clauses setting copyright expiry at a certain period after the death of the creator; which sounds alright at first, until you consider copyrights held by corporate entities which are theoretically immortal. So when do these ideas enter the "common pool"? The question is especially murky for games.

Abandonware sites work to filling in the second half of the copyright goal, hopefully in a manner that doesn't interfere with the first half, by recirculating old games. Smart developers will recognise that and encourage the sites to keep their public profile up at no cost to the developers, long after the developers have stopped expecting revenues. Some even release their copyright hold on old titles with an eye towards the free PR bonanza.

I don't condone piracy of current releases, because that violates the first half of copyright's aims and will eventually dry up the pool of new ideas by making creativity too costly, but I also don't condone the "perpetual copyright" mentality that keeps games in forgotten boxes years after the last obsolete disc was sold. Information doesn't have to be free right away, but we're all better off (developers included) if it does become free after a few years.

-- Steve

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
I herd so much good about System Shock 2 that I searched high and low for a used copy of the game. When that search turned up nothing I look to the internet to find the game. Finally I found it at some abandonware website, downloaded it and went through the process of making it work for Win XP. All said and done I finally managed to play the game, but after about an hour I realized..."Hey, this is like Bioshock but with blocky graphics and bad guys that move in slo-mo." So I stopped playing SS2 and instead fired up Bioshock again on max difficulty.

On another note for those who still love pinball you can download emulators of your favorite pinball tables complete with the original ROMs.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Half the fun of Home of the Underdogs for me was reading the description of the added titles back when it still updated. I didn't even download the games, but still, I was introduced to titles I'd overlooked or just plain didn't know about.

SunoffaBeach

Sep 24, 2008
bkd69 said:

I'm shocked and apalled that the Escapist would publish an article that so celebrates pirates.
Pirates will always have more sex appeal than commoners!

Sillyiggy

Jun 12, 2008
I openly celebrate pirates because I do buy games legitimately. Half the time I need a hack to play the game I bought because they don't have a fix for whatever problem ails me. I own Star Control 2 for example, but play a hack/remake because the original will not work on any of my computers (I had to retire The Rust Bucket). Even with newer stuff I find that some retarded protection measure stops me from playing a game I legitimately purchased from the store. I can spend several days troubleshooting with the company with no real guarantee of success or I can go to hackers and pirates and be up and running in a download.

I love hackers and pirates even though I buy all my games. I figure if a game is worth playing it is worth owning. The problem is sometimes I need their help to actually play a game I have purchased, which is totally lame, but at least it is a little more fair to both the company and me.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Steam's release of the X-COM series potentially sounds the death knell for abandonware. The reason abandonware existed was because the maintenance of retail channels was prohibitively expensive, as there's only so much shelf space and formats become obsolete.

Thanks to a third-party handling the technical side of it (DOSBox, which exists only because Microsoft can't be bothered to cook up its own DOS emulator for its advanced operating systems), it is now possible for a publisher to release its entire back catalog for direct download, and the only overhead is a very minimal amount of disc space. All the up-front costs have been paid, and every sale is (almost) 100% pure profit.

Abandonware enthusiasts may celebrate this re-commercialization because it grants them the wish they've made with their sites, which is a good thing; indeed, seeing the swift and gracious deletion of anything that becomes available anew is exactly the sort of goodwill gesture required to avoid the perception of "they're nothing more than pirates." Staying on the copyright owners' good side benefits everyone.

Trevel

May 27, 2008
Abandonware will still be up, I should think. A good number of game companies have closed down, after all -- I'm really not sure who would still hold the rights to some of those games. I also can't imagine some of the games that I'd only play for nostalgia purposes to be released for a cash fee -- it's not so much the fee that would be the problem, it's the implied promise that the games would *work*. If I download something from the interwebs, I feel it's my responsibility to make it work on my computer -- if I get it from the game creator, then I expect THEM to make it work, or give me my money back. Are they going to make enough profit to justify that cost?

Gametap is a more likely service to destroy Abandonware -- but even there, it's not going to be able to do much about games that no longer have owners.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
foolishnun said:
Home of the Underdogs has been inactive for quite a while now. Apparently it is run by a Thai woman but for the last couple of she has not touched the site. There have been no updates or uploads since I think the beginning of 2006. It all still works I think (discovered it about a year ago)but I assume if it went down, that would be it.
the Forum is still active. Still posting strong

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
bkd69 said:

Did you read the editor's note? Issue 177 is the dark side of gaming culture.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
SimuLord said:
Steam's release of the X-COM series potentially sounds the death knell for abandonware. The reason abandonware existed was because the maintenance of retail channels was prohibitively expensive, as there's only so much shelf space and formats become obsolete.
GOG.com is another step in the right direction. Given enough time (and money), these sites could become gaming's "museums", something I think the industry definitely needs.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
foolishnun said:
It's still active but posting strong might be a bit of an overstatment.

zoozilla said:
SimuLord said:
GOG.com is another step in the right direction. Given enough time (and money), these sites could become gaming's "museums", something I think the industry definitely needs.
There will always be abandonware, some games just didn't sell well the first time round, though a developer can release them again at little to no cost for themselfs on the net and try to get some money for it, alot of them probably wouldn't bother.

I have yet to buy a direct download game from any service, I mainly worry what happens if the company goes bust or something happens and they lose the data telling them what games you have bought.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
A few comments from the author:

bkd69 said:

I think if they (abandonware sites) think of themselves as pirates at all, it's only in the sense of digging up buried treasure.

smallharmlesskitten said:
foolishnun said:
Home of the Underdogs is still active, though posting has been absent from the site. Having acquired System Shock 2 through it earlier this year, I can confirm that the majority of downloads are still serviceable.

SimuLord said:

Thanks to a third-party handling the technical side of it (DOSBox, which exists only because Microsoft can't be bothered to cook up its own DOS emulator for its advanced operating systems), it is now possible for a publisher to release its entire back catalog for direct download, and the only overhead is a very minimal amount of disc space. All the up-front costs have been paid, and every sale is (almost) 100% pure profit.
The key here though, and why I don't believe abandonware's going to be killed as a movement by these services, is that a lot of companies may not see the profit in doing this. Yes, some games are particularly popular (LucasArts taking back its adventure games is feasible) but if you loo

To paraphrase Yahtzee's "Fable 2" review, the mentality for companies may be "You can! But why would you want to?"

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Author comments continued:

Anton P. Nym said:
The original point of copyright was that it would eventually lapse.

I pause here, while RIAA-types collect themselves.

Copyright law, like patent law, has the ultimate end of enriching society by encouraging people to contribute to the "idea pool". It is supposed to encourage creators by giving them a (time-limited!) monopoly on their contributions, so that they can profit from them and continue to contribute; it's also supposed to encourage others to pick up those ideas after that monopoly period ends and use them to create new works (just like patents) or at least to appreciate them long afterward instead of letting them become lost and forgotten.
And here's the main point of abandonware - it treats these games like they've become public domain, providing them free to those of interest. And the community is fully aware that they're not public domain, so if there's any protest they take them down. I agree with the point of public domain personally, and the argument that if something is left alone long enough and no one's going to touch it others have the right to do so.

RAKtheUndead said:
I have to admit it: I owe Home of the Underdogs, Abandonia and other abandonware sites for a good deal of relived memories of my younger childhood. Around the time that I had my second computer, when I was about twelve, I played a lot of shareware titles of old DOS games. I had no 3D graphics card; my computer would run little better. I remembered years of fun with these titles, despite the fact that I could never complete them, but they were obscure games, and I never heard anything about them outside my own gameplay.

Fast-forward about eight years, and some of these games have left indelible marks in my mind. However, even at the age of twenty, I suffer from some atrocious memory problems, where I often find myself wondering whether a given memory is simply a figment of my imagination. Home of the Underdogs assured me that I hadn't been delusional - that many of the games that I knew of had existed, and in a surprisingly large number of cases, had been given top ratings by the abandonware players.

With these resources at my disposal, I found myself able to finish games that I'd given up hope of ever finding again, along with brand-new experiences, including the much acclaimed System Shock 2.
Great to see my experience isn't an outlier in the the abandonware world.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I'm a long time member of Abandonia, so I do love old games. Anyway...

Abandonware is a tricky question. It's illegal but not illegal. It's a kind of a grey zone between piracy, corporate theft and free entertainment. Because, how can you steal something, that is not sold, not in circulation and, well, obsolete in many other ways. Simply put, it's worthless to many people, including the makers of the game, that's why they don't sell it anymore, right? They "abandoned" it. If you see a discarded piece of hardware near a dumpster, but you think you can use it for something, pick it up and take it home, is that stealing? Didn't think so...

The main point of abandonware sites is to preserve and make old games generally accessable and playable. As I said before, companies who don't give a flying V about their old games, generally don't really care what happens to them. Abandonware sites work on that same "don't care" principle, because as long as the owner of the game doesn't care, they can continue to work. If all the old game's owners were to rise up and claim back their titles, that would be the end of the abandonware scene, but that won't happen, ever. Why? Because people don't care. Companies don't care, at least most of them don't. They are both busy with Halo 3, and Far Cry 2, and don't care about Mine Bombers, Shadow Warrior or Commander Keen. But because we care, we preserve them.

People should thank abandonware sites, not condemn them. Those people preserve history, our history, and like it or not, video games are a part of it. I, for one, am proud I was there to witness those awesome games in their full glory when they were released, and I'm proud to be able to play them now and many years later I can show them to my kids "see Junior, this what your gamer Daddy was playing when he was your age" and it will be AWESOME!