Microsoft Meets With GLAAD Over Xbox Live Issues

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Meets With GLAAD Over Xbox Live Issues

In the wake of recent high-profile homophobic missteps, Major Nelson has revealed that GLAAD [http://www.microsoft.com] to talk about all that icky gay stuff.

Microsoft has had a rough ride of things lately, so to speak; in February, the company settled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89773-Microsoft-Apologizes-to-Gay-Gamers-Considers-Solutions] out of court in April.

But lest anyone get the idea that Microsoft has something against "the gays," Larry "podcast [http://majornelson.com/] that the company has met with members of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to discuss matters relating to gay gamers on Xbox Live.

"I can't talk about what we discussed specifically except to say that we provided them with a lot of information about what we do today, why we do what we do and how we do it," Toulouse said. "And then we asked them the question, 'How can we do this better?' And we have some ideas. Here are some ideas. That dialog was super, super helpful. I think it was a great engagement. Justin and Jeffrey who came out from GLAAD really appreciated the effort that we're putting into it - and had great ideas, like they brought up some stuff we hadn't thought of."

Toulouse said GLAAD was a "great group to work with" and seemed very enthusiastic about the results of the meeting. "The GLAAD folk totally understand a variety of things, they're really great to work with. They want to enable communities to be safer. They just want to enable communities to be safer - that's what my team tries to do as well, so it was a great thing." He added that Microsoft would have more to say about the meeting with GLAAD and Xbox Live policies in the future.

Source: GayGamer [http://gaygamer.net/2009/04/major_nelson_talks_glaad_xbox.html]

lornb

Jan 16, 2009
I'll be GLAAD when this whole shebang is over.

*crickets*

I'm here all night folks.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
lornb said:
I'll be GLAAD when this whole shebang is over.

*crickets*

I'm here all night folks.
+10 to WIT.

@topic: Why is Microsoft being so hush hush over the details of their meeting? I know it's probably for some boring legal department reason, but it doesn't look good.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
We'll, I'm sure that this meeting means the end of all prejudice against gay and lesbian gamers on Xbox Live.

Not.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Hahahaha.
Why can I imagine Microsoft putting up a pic of their staff with the words "NOT HOMOPHOBES!" up on their site.

Ahh well, I suppose they have to try to appear like their fixing it. Pretty obviously a PR move though.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
About time a tech and gaming company addressed this. I'm surprised GLAAD, the ASACP, the JDL and ASACP haven't pounced all over the online gaming world because of all the bigots and pedophiles that roam about. There should be guilds for those groups.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
it is good that ms apologised for there momentary lapse of reasoning ,being a straight gamer i don't care what your sexuality is just play the game and have fun ,i have no hatred of gays or lesbians they have rights and feelings too

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I'm more worried about why Master Chief and his pals are in the picture. Something Bungie isn't telling us?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Why? Why is this necessary? 1) no one should be banned for revealing their orientation 2) meeting with GLAAD sounds like a stupid way to solve things.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Man, first they censor gay words and swears on Home, now this. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is gonna follow through next.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I didn't realize the gay community was being discriminated against on Live. A bit childish on the part of Microsoft.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
They could just try smacktard fumigation on XBL.
But then they would lose at least half of their customers. Woo!

Anyway i thought this was whole ghey/lesbian deal was over with?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Man, first they censor gay words and swears on Home, now this. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is gonna follow through next.
Both are quite old news, and personally I think the censoring swear words was a little more justified (my bias with Sony notwithstanding at this time!) even though one or two of the words were silly to censor (Seriously, everytime someone said "Hello" with the standard messages it would come out as "****o", I thought everyone was saying "Fucko" for the past week!)

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Did anyone else think Glad bags and that old white haired guy when looking at this article?