Devil May Cry PSP Is Really Dead

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Devil May Cry PSP Is Really Dead

After years without hearing a single world about Devil May Cry on the PSP, we've finally received confirmation that the game has been canceled.

It's been the five years since Capcom and Sony first made mention of a Devil May Cry game coming to the PlayStation Portable and, they haven't really said word one about it, ever. Only the most faithful of DMC fanboys have believed that the game still exists, while most anyone with a lick of common sense figured that the thing was canned sometime after it missed its playable debut at E3.

Now Japanese gaming mag Famitsu has removed the title from its release list, and, according to IGN [http://psp.ign.com/articles/972/972989p1.html], in a special section denotes that the game has been canceled, saying that it's "suspended from retail sale." Apparently they've been wrong about taking games off this list before, but well, when it's something like this, they seem to be just confirming the inevitable.

Capcom's response? "Devil May Cry was once listed in a long string of titles in potential development for the PSP when the system was first announced," they told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5213742/devil-may-cry-psp-cancelled]. "Once listed." That sounds so sad.

Oh well, it's not like PSP is lacking in "spectacle fighters" anyhow, since you've got God of War: Chains of Olympus. Would have been nice to have some sword-swinging, gun-shooting action on the PSP, though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shame, seems like a good fit for the PSP...but 5 years means its dead, especially since I never heard of it in the first place.

Whatever happened to Elder Scrolls: Travels for the PSP?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
nooooooooooooooooo :(

The PSP has a decent selection of games, but really needs more games developed by Sony's favorite cohorts. Well, at least we'll receive Dissidia by the end of June.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
This makes me a sad panda. I mean if you can make God of War awesome on the PSP DMC shouldn't be that tricky. I have to wonder WHY they decided to can it though, I hope some reason can be given later. At least I can look forward to Dissidia and Assassins Creed, those will easily fill the hopeful void DMC left. Oh well I can remain hopeful that one day they might bring this project back to life...maybe a PSP2 release title? that would a good first day buy incentive.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Sad panda indeed... It would hav been nice to see this, but I really hope that the next PSP has the extra analog that I WANT SO BADLY.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to it, then I forgot about it because nothing was said, and now this.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
It would have been nice to see; shame that Sony left everyone out to dry and it took Famitsu to make it more clear that the project was dead.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
GyroCaptain said:
It would have been nice to see; shame that Sony left everyone out to dry and it took Famitsu to make it more clear that the project was dead.
Wouldn't it be more up to Capcom to keep us informed over, say, people who have absolutely no input and are completely out of the loop on the project?
Oddly enough, I did mean Capcom. It's a shame Sony didn't exert some leverage to get them moving on it, rather.