Anime Review: Claymore

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Anime Review: Claymore

Does a woman's worth depend on the size of her ... sword?

Read Full Article

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Good write up on a very good series. I figured this to be a more typical action series until episodes 4-8. The Teresa arc caught hold of me and that was that.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
This is actually one of the Manga I keep track of.
It's always nice to see reviewers supporting my choices.

Although I have to agree with him on the indivduality issue; the characters all do look about the same. Makes things rather confusing at times.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Teresa story arc was the best part of the series. It was somewhat predictable and you knew things where going to end badly, but God, did it keep me on the edge of my seat.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
A fair review but not very keen on the facts. One of the reasons the last few episodes were so weak was because they deviated from the manga completely. I loved this series up until episode 22 or so when I just couldn't stand it anymore and stopped watching. They seriously screwed up some really good plot for no apparent reason.

It's true there was a really good cliffhanger in the manga that they should have ended with. But the one they formulated was terrible. I think they just wanted to have a Priscilla fight. The fights were over the top, yes. That's because they didn't happen in the manga. And if they did, they didn't happen with that "wait, when did she get that powerful?" question nagging the back of your head. Claymore is a great manga series but it irks me how it was entirely possible for them to stick with the manga right to the end but they didn't.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I suppose I'll add this anime to the 'List'
The review makes it sound like an ok anime, even though I've recently signed myself on for two more animes...
Nice review.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I haven't watched the anime for this very reason. I also haven't watched Beserk for this reason, in that the manga is still going, and I'll feel unfulfilled if the anime just ends while the manga still goes.

I have, on the other hand, read both Manga's (Claymore, Berserk) up until their most recent chapters.

I am more interested in the anime, now, but I still think I'll wait to see if they announce another season.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Yeah the rush to a Priscilla fight at the end of the series really hurt Claymore.

One thing that the series did do right was dump vanilla yoma quickly. By the end of episode 8 I was bored to tears with copy and pasted yoma all with similar powers. At least the Awakened beings looked somewhat different, but even they were getting dull by the end of the series.

Enou

Sep 18, 2009
The anime was cut short from the manga version (hence the Priscilla fight that did not actually happen in canon), and the manga gives much more detail as to the nature of the world and the real driving force behind the entire ordeal in the area they are in.

I won't say anymore because you have to find out for yourself =p

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Jhereg42 said:
Good write up on a very good series. I figured this to be a more typical action series until episodes 4-8. The Teresa arc caught hold of me and that was that.
Exactly the same sentiment here. Probably some of my favourite episodes from any anime ever. The ending arc plodded a bit, and ended far too quickly and unresolved, but the teresa arc and a load of the episodes after were superb.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Exactly the same sentiment here. Probably some of my favourite episodes from any anime ever. The ending arc plodded a bit, and ended far too quickly and unresolved, but the teresa arc and a load of the episodes after were superb.
Like somebody mentioned above, the real ending to the Northern War arc was a HUGE cliffhanger and I could see exactly why they were so wary of going in that direction. This was doubly true because (A) Claymore's ratings in Japan were questionable enoough that they were not sure there would be a second series and (B)The Manga is in a Monthly Mag rather than a Weekly one so it takes FOREVER to get enough manga to make even a 13 ep series. I think somebody's estimate at the time was around 2012 based on the pacing they set through the first run.

Over all, I really loved this series. If you did as well, I highly suggest that you go on to the Manga.

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
This was a good series, good enough that I went out and read the rest of the manga for it lol.

Im glad you pointed out though that the end of the show was handled about as well as it could have given that at the same point in the manga it would have been a REAL cliffhanger.

Not really an optimal position to be in for them considering claymore does not really have a ton of break points for an ending in an anime version.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
No. No. I disagree. This ending was terrible, and it had Raki who I wanted to skin with a rusty butter knife.

Raki is an inconsistent little twerp who spends ninety percent of the anime crying. The series bloody closes out on him crying!

Now...I'm not saying every man in anime has to be masculine, strong and butch. No, not at all, I think that seeing a character, regardless of gender, cry can be powerful and moving and add depth. (Case and point: Roy Mustang. See Maes Hughes funeral scene)

But NOT if that's there only thing! Raki gets a sword and loses to a claymore when he fights her. Fine, she's inhuman so it's understandable. But are you really going ot tell me he didn't practice after that? After Claire disappears he doesn't try and fight? Or that bandits didn't attack him?

Then there is Raki's character itself. He is a very selfish character, wanting everyone to 'get along' and not really giving a damn about Claire's emotions.

In the end, Priscilla is left alive. Now Raki has the death of anybody she kills and eats on his hands because he doesn't like making tough decisions. Then there is Claire's kiss of Raki which came out of no-where for me. It was a romantic-style kiss in the framing and the way it was animated, which went against how his character was established.

Raki and Claire's relationship isn't a romantic one, it's sibling, which would've been enough. But then they try and shoehorn in this romantic angle which doesn't work at all, nor does it really go anywhere.

So many plot threads are left unfinished, and the big bad (who was in a position of victory) suddenly grows a conscious because....friendship?

Raki is the worst part of the anime, he's an albatross around the neck of an otherwise excellent series (ending not-withstanding).

mangafreak007

Aug 13, 2012
I'm not sure about the anime, because I haven't watched it yet, but I found the characters rather....well not exactly easy.... but not difficult to differentiate from each other, mainly from the way they held themselves and their speech patterns, words they're more likely to use than other characters.
Sometimes if you get really into a manga/anime its easy to tell the characters apart because you've been with them through the whole story.

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I read Claymore as it wasn't just blind action, (which I have nothing against) and its characters were interesting, I especially love 'Phantom' Miria.

I don't really mind that the anime isn't finished, since most of us following the manga are constantly left with cliff-hangers as we wait for the next chapter/volume. Its a good series that doesn't get a lot of recognition.