EA Sports Unveils My Football Game for Disabled Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Sports Unveils My Football Game for Disabled Gamers

EA Sports has teamed with VTree LLC, a company that develops software for the disabled community, to create My Football Game [http://www.vtreellc.com/], a Madden-powered game for players with developmental and physical difficulties.

The game has its roots in a chance meeting between Vtree President Chuck Bergen and Rob Moore, the chief technology offficer at EA Sports [http://www.easports.com], at a trade show several years ago. "Our technology group had been exploring some possibilities for taking the core EA Sports gaming engines into other environments, with two goals in mind - products that held up to our quality standards, and an application that helped people," Moore said.

"As we started talking with VTree, it was quickly clear that their experience working with disabled gamers had revealed a great opportunity for a sports game to be used for cognitive and physical rehabilitation," he continued. "It was a great fit."

VTree works extensively with disabled veterans of the U.S. military, many of whom are gamers but can no longer partake in the hobby as they once did because of their injuries. Agreeing that games designed for disabled gamers were usually "overly simple, often rough designs," Bergen and Moore went to work on creating an authentic Madden [http://maddennfl.easports.com/] experience that could accommodate gamers with special needs.

The result was My Football Game, which was released to Veterans Administration [http://www.va.gov/] hospitals and facilities earlier this year. Although the game uses a somewhat dated version of the Madden engine for the PC, it features numerous settings that can be adjusted based on the "skill levels, reaction time and capabilities of each player." Three levels of play are available and a Championship Ring, with diamonds added to it as players notch up achievements, keeps a record of progress through the game.

Unlike the Madden series, My Football Game doesn't feature any licensed NFL teams or players, but based on requests from the vets who played the game, EA is trying to incorporate special logos and uniforms created for each branch of the military and special forces units like Navy SEALs and Army Rangers. "If they can get us permission to use those names and logos we will make custom teams for each of them," Moore told AbleGamers [http://www.ablegamers.com/game-news/My-Football-Game-And-They-said-it-Could-not-be-Done.html]. "If we can help our veterans recover a little faster, or even just have a little fun sometimes, that would be a great outcome for us."

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Well thats awful nice of EA!

And there's some words I never thought to utter... I'll be throwing up.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Stands looking patriotically at American flag as it waves in the breeze with tear in eye

In all seriousness this is great news. For the veterans and the video game industry as a whole; video games having an obvious positive outcome; it must've had some effect if they were requesting teams and badges etc.

Seems odd to not use a better engine though, the teams and licensing I can understand.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
messy said:
Seems odd to not use a better engine though, the teams and licensing I can understand.
there's probably some controller interface issues there. I wish they went into more depth on the hardware, but I can't imagine it's easy to make an analog control interface for a quadraplegic.

The title "My Football Game" seems a little condescending though. I understand part of the audience is the developmentally disabled but even so. :/

also why the hell wouldn't the NFL license this? Somebody tell Roger Goodell about this!

messy

Dec 3, 2008
cobra_ky said:
messy said:
there's probably some controller interface issues there. I wish they went into more depth on the hardware, but I can't imagine it's easy to make an analog control interface for a quadraplegic.

The title "My Football Game" seems a little condescending though. I understand part of the audience is the developmentally disabled but even so. :/

also why the hell wouldn't the NFL license this? Somebody tell Roger Goodell about this!
Oh yeah the controller interface: makes senses now cheers.

Also licensing wise I'm not sure but they probably have a zero tolerance thing (the NFL) on distributing it without money coming in

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
This is great, now all people can enjoy games that suit their needs...when does COD come out? lol

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
And with this we will finally have an Army/Navy game, with Army getting their butts handed to them! Yay!
This is cool beyond words, and I can see EA having a good franchise with this. Of course it wont stop EA's buttmoves, but still this is cool.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
cobra_ky said:
messy said:

Yeah the name needs something done to it...

But It is a nice gesture.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
This is very nice of EA. I can't believe they couldn't get it licensed, but on the other hand it doesn't surprise me from an organization that created the NFL Network. Goodell and his cronies are nothing but money-grubbing chumps. If this is for the troops, there's no excuse.