Project Natal Meets The Wizard in Turbo Film

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Project Natal Meets The Wizard in Turbo Film

There are movies about videogames, and then there are movies about videogames. Turbo, a 20-minute short film, is the latter - and is relentlessly entertaining in an incredibly 80s kind of way.

[vimeo=6932347]

USC graduates [http://www.turbothemovie.com/] about a not-too-distant future where a full-motion-control fighting game is the latest and greatest in interactive entertainment. Our hero (played by Justin Chon, last seen as one of the minor characters in Twilight and New Moon, only now in a role that doesn't suck) is a fan of said game, and aims to join the pro leagues - but can't quite cut it. So he'll need training from a master who knows what he's doing in order to make his dreams come true.

While Conaway's own description of the film as "The Karate Kid meets Tron" is certainly apt, I think Joystiq's Kevin Kelly nails it [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/25/turbo-movie-trumps-natal-sphere-and-wii-motionplus/] by comparing it to a Power-Glove-less The Wizard. The characters have the same hyper-serious attitude toward the game in question, and it's got a similar visual feel to it. Actually, the whole movie has an aesthetic that manages to be simultaneously futuristic and yet retro - imagine how people in the '80s thought the future would look (when the future was the year 2000) and update it just a little bit, and you'll wind up with something like Turbo.

It's incredibly cheesy, but it's also kind of fun, and it's clear that the people who made it actually play games and are familiar with the culture. Conaway has expressed interest in doing a full-length Turbo film, but for the moment you can watch the 20-minute-long project online (or buy the DVD if you're so inclined [http://www.turbothemovie.com/buy.html]).

Who says videogame movies can't be entertaining?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I doubt this'll ever happen. Because then every fighting game playing would have to be athletic, aerobatic, and annoying.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Not watched it all yet (damned dinner getting in my way) but I gotta wonder Natal is going to deal with things like being parried or blocked. Unlike reality, Natal can't put up a stop on your swing. You'll just keep swinging through.

I suppose it remains to be seen.

It's incredibly cheesy
Not by bloody 'alf!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I watched the first 5 minutes, the cheese was starting to grind on me so i skipped the middle ground. Was actuly really good o watch! Reminded me of Karate kid and pure pwnage for some reason. The bad guys acting was horrible but other than that it was really really well made!

[sub]One last thing, needs more lense flare[/sub]

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Conaway has expressed interest in doing a full-length Turbo film...
Will they be casting Gerard Butler? [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034032/]

Seriously though...wouldn't there be some kind of "copyright" issue?

I didn't see the "Gamer" film, only the trailer...but they have striking similarities...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Conaway has expressed interest in doing a full-length Turbo film...
Will they be casting Gerard Butler? [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034032/]

Seriously though...wouldn't there be some kind of "copyright" issue?

I didn't see the "Gamer" film, only the trailer...but they have striking similarities...
You know, the only thing I remember about that Gamer film was the stupid advert tagline about how "There's never been a game as deadly as this." or something similar.

All I could think of was that whoever came up with it hadn't played The World Ends With You.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
That looked to have some pretty decent production values. I'm willing to bet a larger budget then some full length indie movies. I could see this episode making it's way to some variety tv series for tween/teens.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
damn it cheesy, could only watch 6 min before my lactose intolerance kicked in (thats the kinda "jokes" that are in the movie), the best thing about it is that the console the play on looks like a elite edition of that fake 360 i thought was real, imagine my disappointment when Frodo revealed the actual 360.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I loved this movie. It's an entertaining wedge of cinematic cheese, cringe-worthy yet compelling in a way that only movies about video games can be. I'm of the opinion that it's probably never going to be possible to make a "serious" video game movie, so movies like this, that don't take themselves too seriously, are a godsend.

The visuals are excellent, in my opinion. I think they did a fantastic job of making the game and the way it's played looked plausible and visually appealing. It's like DDR meets EyeToy Kinetic, with a dash of Street Fighter thrown in for flavor.

Also, it's nice to see a throwback to the old "underdog gets beat by bully, receives training from retired master using strange techniques (wax on, wax off, or in this case, hitting the bag), underdog beats bully in big competition" plot formula. Very 80's.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
It was totally awesome, even better than the official "Gamer" film that's been out.

Shame it wasn't a 1:30Hr movie. Pretty bad ass.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
That was pretty awesome.
Cheesy? Sure.
But awesome? Totally.

"Come on Shamanites!" Bwahaha! I love it.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Wow, that was actually pretty good. But just when I thought it couldn't get any more cheesy, Shamus just had to say "Shamunites."

...Ugh...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Eh. The writing sucked. The combat and special effects were pretty good, and I like the general concept. Maybe if it had a decent writer behind it, it'd go far.

TheMatt

Jan 26, 2009
Dear Escapist,

Next time you post something this Epic I need a warning so I don't have to rush to take off my pants.

That is all.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'll watch it when it eventually finishes loading, but it looks awesome.

VIDEO GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.