StarCraft II Collector's Edition Confirmed?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StarCraft II Collector's Edition Confirmed?

Blizzard is making a "making of" DVD that might just be for a Collector's Edition of StarCraft II, and the Community Team wants your questions for the developers.

Blizzard Community Manager Kevin "Karune" Yu posted on the official Battle.net forums [http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=16409962188&sid=3000] asking for questions about the development of StarCraft II that the team behind the game could answer in a special "behind-the-scenes" DVD that will likely come bundled with a Collector's Edition of the game:

[blockquote]We are looking to gather some good questions aimed specifically at the developers of StarCraft II about their experience in developing the game. Fun questions are a plus. Submit your questions to this thread and there is a chance they may be selected to be added in a special video interview with the developers. Feel free to shoot out questions to all parts of the team: Production, Design, Art, Programming, QA, etc.

Please avoid specific gameplay type questions or other questions better suited for our traditional Q&A batches. [/blockquote]

This is, of course, the first semi-official announcement we have that the long-awaited sequel to the smash hit 1998 RTS will have a Collector's Edition for those of us willing to shell out a few extra smackers for some cool stuff. Of course, a Collector's Edition seems to be S.O.P. for Blizzard these days - since the release of WoW in November '04, all of their new titles have had nifty limited editions.

Nifty limited editions that I can never manage to get my hands on, unfortunately.

I can't help but wonder - with the company's stated intent to merge Battle.net accounts with WoW accounts... maybe they'd try a cross-game promotion? Part of the draw for the WoW limited editions is the special pets that you get with them. Maybe if Blizzard is feeling particularly sneaky, they'll make it so that buying the SC2 (Terran) Collector's Edition gives you a miniature SCV pet or something.

At any rate, while it would certainly be logical to assume that the DVD in question would accompany a special bundle for StarCraft II, I can't actually find any confirmation from Blizzard itself about the issue - only guesses from fansites. I've poked them to see if they can confirm, but in the meantime, I guess we'll just have to go with "Well, it makes sense..."

(IncGamers [http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments/collectors-edition-qa/])

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
It'll take more than a DVD for me to buy it. I only got Fallout 3's collectors edition for the Bobblehead & Lunchbox.

If it had a mini-Zergling toy I'd be the first in line.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
This is, of course, the first semi-official announcement we have that the long-awaited sequel to the smash hit 1997 RTS...
Pssst its 1998.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I get collector's editions for the neat goodies, as mentioned above. Here's to hoping some figurines make it in.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
oliveira8 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
This is, of course, the first semi-official announcement we have that the long-awaited sequel to the smash hit 1997 RTS...
Pssst its 1998.
D'oh. I keep thinking that since Brood War was 98, original SC was 97.

Khell_Sennet said:
Futureshop has been listing a "Collector's Edition" of Starcraft II since before the whole splitting it into three pieces of the Triforce fiasco, so not really news to me. And they'll have to do a whole lot better than a behind-the-scenes DVD to make it worth the price. Seriously, does anyone ever care about these things? I myself much prefer tangible goodies like exclusive in-game items, posters/maps (Baldur's/IWD printed theirs on cloth to boot), miniatures, or hell, even a mousepad or TShirt. I remember when Warcraft II came out, and inside the box was a Blizzard notepad, and I freakin loved it.
Judging by the WoW collector packs, it should have some pretty nifty stuff too.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
To the entire Developement team:
Why would you be botherred doing this? Do you really have enough rabid fanboys for you to think this will make the collectors edition sell?

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
I was kind of hoping that a collectors edition pack with all the games in them would come out with the release of the final game. Looks like I'll have no such luck, and have to shell out for them one at a time instead.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pi_Fighter said:
Why would you be botherred doing this? Do you really have enough rabid fanboys for you to think this will make the collectors edition sell?
Uh...

...yes...?

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Pi_Fighter said:
Uh...

...yes...?
Oh yeah. For a moment I forgot we were talking about RTS fanboys.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
I say do the BattleForge thing and hand out special in-game models for the characters, like some of the models before the relatively recent overhaul (I liked the previous Zerg better), or maybe the option between the Dark Templar models.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Why are there Wraiths in that picture?
Because even though they're not in SC II, Blizz realized that they're one of the most cool-looking ships to come out of the SC franchise.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Danzorz said:
Khell_Sennet said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well I have my fingers crossed that it's a complete Micromachines collection of the Terran units, or a 4" toy Battlecruiser. That's what it would be if I was in charge of their merch...

Or a plush Zergling.
Or 50 plush Zerglings jump out of the box and you yell "OMGZ ZERG RUSH!".
That and the picture are pure win. Seriously I cannot wait until it comes out.
*Tries playing starcraft on his mac.
Fail :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
megapenguinx said:
Danzorz said:
Khell_Sennet said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well I have my fingers crossed that it's a complete Micromachines collection of the Terran units, or a 4" toy Battlecruiser. That's what it would be if I was in charge of their merch...

Or a plush Zergling.
You've no one to blame but yourself!

...I'm pretty sure SC2, like every recent Blizz game, will be playable on Mac out of the box, though.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
megapenguinx said:
Danzorz said:
Khell_Sennet said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Or a plush Zergling.
You've no one to blame but yourself!

...I'm pretty sure SC2, like every recent Blizz game, will be playable on Mac out of the box, though.
Hopefully, that or I'll just install it on my PC at home in May (when I get to go home from this prison cell they call a dorm room).