Pokemon: Gotta X-Ray Them All

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Pokemon: Gotta X-Ray Them All

In hopes of making kids more comfortable during x-ray procedures, Japanese medical equipment producer Shimadzu has created a mobile Pokemon-themed x-ray machine.

X-rays are scary. Pokemon are cute. Kids love Pokemon, kids more than likely do not like getting x-rays, even if they need to in order to find out just where they broke their tibia when they were playing Power Rangers in the backyard and jumped off the roof. What to do? Simple: add Pokemon to your x-ray machine. Everyone's happy!

That's the logic behind medical equipment company Shimadzu's newest kid-friendly x-ray machine, at least. The device, which can be pushed around like a shopping cart, is decked from head to toe in adorable pocket monsters. Pikachu's there, all bright and perky and cute, as are Piplup, Chimchar, and, uh, Croagunk? Also, the rear wheel of the machine looks like a Pokeball. How cute.

Unsurprisingly, medical procedures tend to go better when the patients feel comfortable as opposed to anxious and scared for their lives, according to studies cited by Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/04/16/the-mobile-pokemon-x-ray-machine/]. Hopefully this machine will do the trick and make kids unafraid of having weird machines used on their bodies. But how about an adult version, guys? Who says that only kids are comforted by the sight of Pikachu when they're at the hospital?

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Evidently my gf things this looks awesome... I guess kids would probably like it too. Personally I like hospitals and xrays and stuff, lol.

Aradiel

Jul 16, 2008
Wouldn't they squirm around trying to see the pictures rather than sitting still under the bit that takes the x-ray?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
WolfLordAndy said:
Evidently my gf things this looks awesome... I guess kids would probably like it too. Personally I like hospitals and xrays and stuff, lol.
You wouldnt like Hospitals if you had to spend more than 3 days in one as a patient...

This is personal experience as I spent over month in one once and many many days in plenty of different hospitals...

The food, the smell, the strange night shift nurses who are either psychopats, imcopentent or plain weird, the disgrunteled doctors, the bored doctors, the doctors that dont know anything about medicine, the annoying church preachers, the bad food, sour chocolate milk... and I could go on

All those TV writters for Greys Anatomy never saw how a hospital really works...

Undeed

May 22, 2008
I think it's a good idea. And if it's this simple to make them a bit more comfortable, it's probably worth the effort.

CosmicJester21

Apr 15, 2009
Pi_Fighter said:
The back wheel is a pokeball. Nice touch.
Also
CosmicJester21 said:
Thats just silly
Do you think this won't calm children during lengthy x-ray procedures?
It probably would

I'm looking at it from a 21 year old guy with no kids perspective and just seeing that would make me lol

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
oliveira8 said:
WolfLordAndy said:
You wouldnt like Hospitals if you had to spend more than 3 days in one as a patient...

This is personal experience as I spent over month in one once and many many days in plenty of different hospitals...

The food, the smell, the strange night shift nurses who are either psychopats, imcopentent or plain weird, the disgrunteled doctors, the bored doctors, the doctors that dont know anything about medicine, the annoying church preachers, the bad food, sour chocolate milk... and I could go on

All those TV writters for Greys Anatomy never saw how a hospital really works...
Stayed in a couple times, personally never had issue, guess thats just NHS hospitals in the UK tho, where is your experience?

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
oliveira8 said:
WolfLordAndy said:

Blegh, Hospital are the worst. Luckily the longest stay I had was a week, but it was one of my worst. Everything you said was spot on.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
someone decorates an X-Ray machine with pokemon decals, and it's news? Pffft.

And here I thought some Pokemon fan/biologist was making a hobby of putting together accurate Pokemon skeletons or something.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
someone decorates an X-Ray machine with pokemon decals, and it's news? Pffft.

And here I thought some Pokemon fan/biologist was making a hobby of putting together accurate Pokemon skeletons or something.
If only, my friend. If only.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
But how about an adult version, guys? Who says that only kids are comforted by the sight of Pikachu when they're at the hospital?
Uh, I think an adult version would be better decked out with pics of nekkid ladies >_> That would help me calm down anyway.... although there might be one extra "bone" to x-ray, lol

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
WolfLordAndy said:
oliveira8 said:
WolfLordAndy said:

Stayed in a couple times, personally never had issue, guess thats just NHS hospitals in the UK tho, where is your experience?
Stayed in a couple of Portuguese ones and in a USA one in the Chicago area last year and it wasnt much better...You come to expect that a hospital in a highly developed country they would have improved the food...BUT NOOO!! The same cold fries and sour milk!!! Grrrrr!!!