Mega Man Mod Pits Mega Buster Against Mega Buster

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mega Man Mod Pits Mega Buster Against Mega Buster

Everybody's favorite Capcom character is going back to the 80's to frag as many noobs as possible.

The public alpha has been released for Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch, a Doom II mod that pits multiple blue bombers against each other in a multiplayer fragfest. The mod's designer, Mike Hill, says it can be played in any game mode, but will be specifically designed for deathmatch.

Hill is going for an accurate representation of the original 8-bit Mega Man in his mod, with every sprite, texture, item, and weapon faithfully recreated. Players will of course be equipped with an unlimited-ammo Mega Buster at all times, while boss weapons scattered across each level can also be picked up; but only one at a time. Some of the currently included weapons are the Bubble Lead (Bubble Man), Napalm Bomb (Napalm Man), and Leaf Shield (Wood Man). The deathmatches occur in levels inspired by the series' bosses as well. Eventually, Hill would like to include all the weapons and levels from Mega Man 1-6, and possibly 9, but that could take a while.

The final version of Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch is expected in 2010, with the current alpha version available for download from Hill's Website [http://cutstuff.net/blog/?p=1677]. The mod requires ownership of Doom II, and a little bit of work, but Hill provides instructions to get it to run. Keep in mind, it is still in an unfinished state. While there are many Doom II mods out there, the way Hill is giving everything the classic 8-bit touch makes this one very attractive to me.

(Via: TinyCartridge [http://tinycartridge.com/post/262120735/megaman-8-bit-deathmatch])

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
WTH?

It's 2009!

You're making news about a DooM 2 wad!!!

Is this twilight zone or something?

Anyway, it does look awesome. I'm very surprised that nobody else has picked up on this idea. You would have thought an online playable side-scroller would have come out by now.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I still say that Sonic Robo Blast 2 is cooler, though that's really neat. I'll probably grab it when I reinstall the DOOM series on my computer.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
OptimusHagrid said:
WTH?

It's 2009!

*facepalms*

Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's not worth modding to experiment with or in this case deliver a more accurate representation of old-school megaman as a first-person shooter.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Why is it that whenever something appeals to nostalgia, be it Megaman or Mario, it's newsworthy among the network of gamers? :/

Well, I'll probably play it for a day to at least experience it. I did like the old Megaman games when I used to play the NES.

spacepope22

Dec 4, 2009
I still remember when i was 6 and i beat Mega Man 2 for the first time... i spent the next two hours running around my neighborhood telling all my friends,and they were all incredibly jealous.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Why does that need Doom 2? Looks like a total conversion and seems to run on a sourceport engine anyway so where does the original game come into this?

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
AceDiamond said:
OptimusHagrid said:
WTH?

It's 2009!

*facepalms*

Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's not worth modding to experiment with or in this case deliver a more accurate representation of old-school megaman as a first-person shooter.
nono sir, you misunderstand. It's just I thought the DooM 2 modding community had shrunk into extreme obscurity - I was surprised to see the Escapist making news about it.

I'm more suprised the Escapist did not cover the release of Action DooM 2, but anyway.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
OptimusHagrid said:
nono sir, you misunderstand. It's just I thought the DooM 2 modding community had shrunk into extreme obscurity - I was surprised to see the Escapist making news about it.

I'm more suprised the Escapist did not cover the release of Action DooM 2, but anyway.
Oh my mistake then.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
KDR_11k said:
Why does that need Doom 2? Looks like a total conversion and seems to run on a sourceport engine anyway so where does the original game come into this?
You load up Doom II and then activate the mod or somesuch.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
scotth266 said:
I still say that Sonic Robo Blast 2 is cooler, though that's really neat. I'll probably grab it when I reinstall the DOOM series on my computer.
wow. SRB2 looks good. it seems to have not confused the success of sonic was b/c of speed but by platforming...like sega has.