The Saboteur Offers Free DLC of Boobs on Day One

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Saboteur Offers Free DLC of Boobs on Day One

On the first day The Saboteur is available, Electronic Arts will offer downloadable content which removes the nipple-covering pasties from the performers at a nightclub in the game.

When you boot up The Saboteur, you are told that inside your gamebox (assuming you bought it legally) is a slip of paper containing a code. Entering the code will allow you to download content called "The Midnight Show" for free, which you are told will add non-covered breasts to the game, as well as some other stuff like additional hiding spots and a champagne room. According to a recent Tweet from Pandemic [http://twitter.com/PandemicStudios/status/6317752598], customers who do not have a code will have to pay $3 for "The Midnight Show," as opposed to the $5 that was reported by other sources. The downloadable content for the M-rated game will be available when the game launches on December 8th.

I haven't played the game, but many have mentioned [http://kotaku.com/5418003/the-saboteur-offers-day+one-free-nudity-dlc] that the first thing you see in the opening cutscene is, in fact, a closeup of a burlesque performer. If you do not enter the code, her nipples are covered with pasties, but if you did, you get you what you paid for almost immediately. The nightclub, Belle de Nuit, serves as a base of operations for your character so one would assume that there will be many opportunities for this content to pay double D dividends. "Midnight Show" is a rare feat in that it tackles three hot-button current controversies in the gaming community at once.

First, nudity is a big deal in games, even ones marketed to adults with an M rating like Saboteur. In a post Hot Coffee world, the possibility for bad press to tank a even a popular game's sales is a real one. On the other hand, I've heard it said about five million times that there is no such thing as Santa Claus, unicorns or bad press.

By making nudity something that each consumer must choose to display, however, EA deftly sidesteps the issue. Ostensibly, anyone who is able to purchase games and downloadable content from XBLA or PSN is old enough to have a credit card and therefore old enough to decide if they want to see virtual boobs. Of course, that still doesn't prevent some parent crying foul because they never set up parental controls or let their kids have their credit card number. In any case, it is a clever attempt by EA to offer adult content if you jump through an "age gate."

The second issue is that many gamers are peeved when a company offers downloadable content that they believe should have shipped with the game. The Saboteur is completely playable without this content, but is it really fair to bundle actual gameplay additions with boobies? Also, what if I haven't bothered to set up my online account or reside in an area that has no internet access? In that case, I am now prevented from playing the game like it was "supposed" to be played. With boobs.

The last reason that "Midnight Show" is important is that it combats both piracy and the used games market. By making the content free for people who legitimately bought The Saboteur at retail, and forcing all of the others to pay $5, it incentive-izes consumers to buy a new copy. Modeling downloadable content like this is an attempt to make sure that EA profits even when the game is resold, whether legally or illegally. It remains to be seen whether this tactic will work, but if anything will succeed at separating gamers from money, it's tits.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/12/03/psa-theres-nudity-in-the-first-5-seconds-of-the-saboteur/]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, really? They're sure desperate for sales.
Personally, ever since I heard that horrifying terrible "Irish" accent, it put me off the game.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I can see how having your nipples being covered up by these [http://www.properpasty.co.uk/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/Steak-Pasty.jpg] would be quite distressing.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah...That's not selling me on the game.

*puts on his I-LOVE-THE-ESCAPIST face*
Those great ads you've been running are!

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The last reason that "Midnight Show" is important is that it combats both piracy and the used games market. By making the content free for people who legitimately bought The Saboteur at retail, and forcing all of the others to pay $5, it incentive-izes consumers to buy a new copy. Modeling downloadable content like this is an attempt to make sure that EA profits even when the game is resold, whether legally or illegally. It remains to be seen whether this tactic will work, but if anything will succeed at separating gamers from money, it's tits.
Certainly Dragon Age did this better with the Stone Prisoner costing $15 (I think), but free if you actually buy a new copy.

Of course it isn't titties, so it could be overlooked.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
For shame EA, for shame. Why doesn't the code remove underwear?

I jest, I jest.

Not really.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Hypothetically, couldn't someone just get the game and DLC and crack them together?

I also don't know whether to see this more as an attempted media stunt, or a ploy to boost immediate sales.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I would like to comment on number 2. If the game comes with a slip for the free DLC (like DA:O did) what is a problem? How is that not shipped with the game when it comes with the game? Sure you might miss out if you don't have an internet connection but would it make it any better if they had to delay the game for months to make sure it is on the disc?

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
I think this is a great way to handle something that really should be a none issue. I could never understand the conversy that comes with nudity, especially when it's not even real.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hey, if it gets more pirates to actually fork out rather than just download it illegally, then titties for the world, I say!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This is a pretty good idea, if it works then it's great for all three issues mentioned, and if it doesn't then no-one can blame EA for trying. Plus, titties are always a good thing, right?

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Downloadable Cleavage?

I do like this tactic for DLC. Kind of how Dragon Age worked... kind of.
And who can object to boobs?

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Hypothetically, couldn't someone just get the game and DLC and crack them together?

I also don't know whether to see this more as an attempted media stunt, or a ploy to boost immediate sales.
Yes, DA:O launch DLC was released just the same, However i'm pretty sure you can't get DLC for pirated copies of 360 games illegitimately, but i'm not 100% on that (Haven't Tried, Haven't had the need)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Furburt said:
hazabaza1 said:
Wow, really? They're sure desperate for sales.
Personally, ever since I heard that horrifying terrible "Irish" accent, it put me off the game.
Worse than Yahtzees.
True. At least Yahtzee's was a parody. This is just... fork in the ear unbearable.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Everything will be cracked.

On-topic: This might be a good way to get around an AO rating, but how long before some group manages to get a game re-rated AO for DLC content?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Amnestic said:
I can see how having your nipples being covered up by these [http://www.properpasty.co.uk/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/Steak-Pasty.jpg] would be quite distressing.
Mmmmmmm...
--Wait, what were we talking about?

OT: For personal reasons, this topic actually doesn't affect me either way. At least it's an option and not something that's being thrown in your face this time around...