Epic: 360 Has Yet To Reach Its Limits

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Epic: 360 Has Yet To Reach Its Limits

You might think that the Xbox 360 has pushed itself as far as it can go after rendering gigantic city sinking worms in Gears of War 2, but Epic Games thinks there's plenty more power to harness from the hardware.

We've come a long way since the first time we saw the first screenshots of Perfect Dark Zero and thought "how could things possibly get any better than this," but here we are. The 360's pumped out some pretty stellar looking games, but it's been around for a good long time now and some people have started to think, really, how much farther can it push things in terms of technology?

"I think there's still more it can do," Gears of War 2 executive producer Rod Fergusson said. "Hardware, in some regards, always has limits, but it's the software that takes advantage of that."

The hardware might having a ceiling, Fergusson says, but the abilities of developers to push things, innovate and discover new tricks for getting more mileage out of their machines is limitless. People, Fergusson thinks, will continue to "push that envelope about how they use the memory, and how they use the hard drive, and all those sort of things."

Fergusson cited the example of his company's own Unreal Engine, which he says made great strides between the first and second Gears of War games, to show how much developers can push their software to do new things with hardware. Like render giant worms [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvR-11QEs24].

(VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/04/16/gears-boss-on-360s-limits-theres-still-more-it-can-do/])

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I don't know, a bunch of other developers have said that they're "pushing the 360 to it's limits" while alot of developers are saying "we've only used [x]% of the PS3's power!", so I'll agree with oliveira8 on this one, prove it.

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
I see no reason to believe things that a company that makes games exclusively for the 360 says about the 360, just as I see no reason to believe the things that Sony says about the PS3.

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
pfff Oliveira8 tell me i am right it would never beable to hold the awsomeness that is
oliveira8 said:
Call me when they actually show proof of it.

Talking is easy...
pfff Oliveira8 tell me i am right it would never beable to hold the awsomeness that is Godzilla Vs. Zombies 1 & 2

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
liamlemon7 said:
pfff Oliveira8 tell me i am right it would never beable to hold the awsomeness that is
oliveira8 said:

Talking is easy...
pfff Oliveira8 tell me i am right it would never beable to hold the awsomeness that is Godzilla Vs. Zombies 1 & 2
Godzilla vs Zombies 1 & 2 is going to beyond awesome!!! Like..if there was a awesome meter for awesome things Godzilla vs Zombies would break the mater...3 times!!! Yeah thats how awesome it is!!

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
oliveira8 said:

Talking is easy...
Jumplion said:
I don't know, a bunch of other developers have said that they're "pushing the 360 to it's limits" while alot of developers are saying "we've only used [x]% of the PS3's power!", so I'll agree with oliveira8 on this one, prove it.
What he's saying is that they will likely be able to push it futher with better software. Saying prove it is impossible unless you know doctor who. However If you want some support for the arguement, looking at past consoles the games that get released later on look better than the earlier ones. So it's likely there is more to push, so to speak.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Gran Turismo 5 came out five years after the PS2 launched, and that was certainly one of the best looking games of the entire console generation. It was almost photorealistic at times. Other games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus are similarly impressive. The key to unlocking a system's potential is time. Maybe by the end of the current generation the PS3 and 360 will be able to run Crysis.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
bad rider said:
oliveira8 said:

Talking is easy...
Jumplion said:
What he's saying is that they will likely be able to push it futher with better software. Saying prove it is impossible unless you know doctor who. However If you want some support for the arguement, looking at past consoles the games that get released later on look better than the earlier ones. So it's likely there is more to push, so to speak.
A push, definately, I'm sure you could squeeze out some awesome things on an Atari 2600. Though everyone always says "Oh yeah, we're stretching the 360 to its limits!" and "We're only using x% of the PS3's processing power!" that it just gets old and all I want is some proof that you're pushing the limits or that you can push it further. And the only way to do that is to make better games ;)

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Epic don't get to talk about anything about the 360 until they release a none-glitchy game.

MaxTheReaper said:
"Sir, we're already running at 100% gray capacity!"
"PUSH IT FURTHER."
"Sir!"
"DO IT! WE CAN GO FURTHER. MORE GRAY. MORE BROWN. MORE MUZZLE FLASH!"
"You're a madman!"
Do I worship you or or what?

toasterslayer

Dec 24, 2008
i like epic games so i trust to push limits. anyway, gears of war was pretty shiny when it can out for the time. now its average. im sorry im wording this horribly...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
bad rider said:
oliveira8 said:

Talking is easy...
Jumplion said:
He also said that GoW2 was the 360 limit a couple of years ago. Now the PS3 shows that it can produce more graphical stunning games, Microsoft went "QUICKLY SAY THAT 360 STILL HAS STEAM IN IT!".They can say "It still hasnt reached its limits" but not showing anything to back up those statements makes you question. Valve per example before the OB said that the source engine still had plenty of room to be improved on, and gave a lil' benchmark to show some new stuff on the engine working.

Epic: We pushed the 360 to the limits with GoW2!!
Guerilla releases Killzone 2
Epic:The 360 hasnt reached its limit yet! We just need to fiddle with software and all that..stuff, hahaha, ignore my previous comments of GoW2 being the 360 limit! kk?

Pretty much what I'm seeing here.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
"PUSH IT FURTHER."
"Sir!"
"You're a madman!"
Ditto.

Ignore graphics for a while. Make some good games instead.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
"PUSH IT FURTHER."
"Sir!"
"You're a madman!"
The Gray Reactor Core can't take anymore! Its gonna blow! There will be class 5 color leakage!