Tony Hawk Pissed About TH: Ride Reviews

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tony Hawk Pissed About TH: Ride Reviews

Tony Hawk loves Tony Hawk: Ride, but reviewers do not, and he's not about to take their nonsense lying down.

Tony Hawk has spoken out against reviewers that he says gave Tony Hawk: Ride poor scores unfairly. Tony Hawk: Ride, which costs $120 and comes with a skateboard controller peripheral, is averaging about 50 out of 100 on Metacritic across all three platforms it is available on. This does not sit well with Mr. Hawk.

One of Hawk's Tweets reads: "Most snarky critics had their minds set before ever seeing/playing the game. I'm proud of what we created; it's innovative, responsive & fun." In a recent interview [http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2208571], Hawk said: "They were ready to discredit it before they even tried it, and if it didn't play exactly how they imagined it... then they passed it off." He thinks that reviewers went into Ride with the wrong attitude and that's why they hate it.

What Hawk has to realize is that when one reviewer tells you you've made a piece of crap, it could be that one person's opinion. When everybody tells you you've made a piece of crap, as is pretty much the case with Tony Hawk: Ride, well, then maybe you did. Hawk could just be in defense mode, trying to put some positive press out there for a product that has his name on it. On the other hand, Hawk says he's been working with Activision every step of the way and is "very proud" of Tony Hawk: Ride.

Hawk might be proud of his baby, but he might want to open his eyes a little to the reality of the situation. Many criticisms that I've read have all echoed the same complaints: collision is buggy (with your character sometimes falling through the world), and the skateboard controller is frustrating. The game is an interesting idea conceptually, but it doesn't look like Tony Hawk: Ride pulled off its goals as much as Tony Hawk himself seems to believe it did.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=228991])

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Tony Hawk is still around? I thought he stopped existing when skateboard ceased to be counter-cultural.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Normal person: Gee, this peripheral is really hard to use.

Pro Skateboarder: What, no it's not. It's just like performing tricks on a real skateboard!

Do you see the problem here? It'd be like Ringo Starr telling people who thought that it was too hard to play the drums on Expert in Beatles Rock Band that they don't know what they're talking about.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Just prefect, first Marc Ecko calls us all nerds with no life and blames the ps2 for the game he made that sucked, and now Tony Hawk is going to claim that everyone except him is wrong.

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
All he needs to do is release a video of him playing the game and showing that it has absolutely no bugs and is very enjoyable, that'll shut all the nay-sayers.

Of course, if it isn't all that great as Tony Hawk is saying the video will just prove him wrong. In which case he wouldn't release the video anyway...

A paradox perhaps??

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Pro Skateboarder: What, no it's not. It's just like performing tricks on a real skateboard!

Do you see the problem here? It'd be like Ringo Starr telling people who thought that it was too hard to play the drums on Expert in Beatles Rock Band that they don't know what they're talking about.
This was my first thought as well; what made the first couple of games fun was the fact that to pull off all these death defying stunts required just the push of a button. It shouldn't require weeks (probably an exaggeration, but still shorter than the time required to learn to skateboard professionally) of practice to be able to play a game; if there's no instant gratification then you will get bad reviews.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
The $120 price tag for me is the worst part about the game I mean with that money you may as well buy a real skateboard. It's like those guitars they made that cost well over a hundred dollars to buy but are actual sized and made from wood if your going to spend that much money on that you may as well buy a real guitar.

Sleepingzombie

Dec 7, 2009
some thruth i think, since some reweivers do not adjust well. BUt the opposite is also possiable, but it did get some good scores on Franken reweiv, I beliave

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Well it is a skateboarding video game, which is only slightly less boring and uninteresting than the Madden series.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
His games got old so long ago. Give it a rest, recoup with whatever money you have, and live the rest of your life comfortably. I'm sure he has enough money to life the rest of his life as a potato, he just has to know how to spend it. I doubt he knows how to spend it...

Jelekk

Oct 3, 2009
"On the other hand, Hawk says he's been working with Activision every step of the way"

This is probably what made your game a flaming pile of shit. I remember playing this game 10 years ago when it was in arcades and called Top Skater. Only difference is it's 10 years later and that technology isn't that impressive anymore. Don't get mad because nobody wants to shell out $120 for a clunky, unresponsive product when they could get 2 actually worth while games for the same price. Hawk needs to stop making games, and Activision needs to get off this crazy peripheral kick they've been on lately and get back to making some real games.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
oh yeah reviews suck...how bout sales? oh wait so only 12 people in the entire world were insane enough to fork over $120 for one single game with ANOTHER plastic peripheral? Maybe Hawk should check out how DJ Hero's doing (not very well at all)

I think consumers are properly fed up more plastic gimmicks that you can only use for a particular set of games. At least for rock band/guitar hero you have a wide class of games to use the instruments with. I'm pretty sure the boys who make the SKATE series are gonna overlook this method big time

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
I should release a new installment in the Ace Attorney series that is like actual lawyering, complete with document review and mountains of brief writing and research.

If the reviewers tell me it's boring, they're dead wrong. It's EXACTLY like something I enjoy. That makes it a good game for everyone, right?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
College Humor's Bleep Bloop segment had them playing the game along with a professional skateboarder, and towards the end of the video they had him strap the Ride board to an actual skateboard and do tricks around the office to see how closely it would match up to what happened on screen.

It wasn't even close.

But seriously, who thought pretending to do skateboard tricks on a make-believe skateboard with no wheels would be fun? Take the wheels off a real skateboard and see how much fun you'll have with it then (not much). They've managed to take a series of video games about performing awesome skateboard tricks via a standard gamepad and turned it into one where you still aren't skating but now you also aren't having any fun.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

This. Pretty much.

And the skateboard games has spawned since the PS1 era? Well, considering it's made for the "experienced" skateboarders.