Achievement Whoredomination

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Achievement Whoredomination

How can anybody in their right mind think World of Warcraft?s Achievements are for ?casual gamers? anymore?

Read Full Article

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Awww, Funk. You never got the Red Proto-Drake? Me either.

Achievements have never really been for "casuals" in any game. They give a lot of replay value to games, but catering the the "casual gamer"? I don't really see it. When is a "casual" gamer going to rack up 10000 ranked, online kills in Gears of War? What "casual" is going to find every single flag in Assassin's Creed? People who say that achievements always cater to "casuals" need to rethink their mindset.

Can I argue that WoW doesn't cater so much to "casual" players as much as it does to bad players?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gxas said:
Awww, Funk. You never got the Red Proto-Drake? Me either.

Achievements have never really been for "casuals" in any game. They give a lot of replay value to games, but catering the the "casual gamer"? I don't really see it. When is a "casual" gamer going to rack up 10000 ranked, online kills in Gears of War? What "casual" is going to find every single flag in Assassin's Creed? People who say that achievements always cater to "casuals" need to rethink their mindset.

Can I argue that WoW doesn't cater so much to "casual" players as much as it does to bad players?
I don't think it does that, either.

My guild is very much a casual raiding guild. Twice a week, three hours tops. We haven't cleared Ulduar but we farm ToC. I think we're skilled players (Well, most of us) but we just don't have the time to go for any of the uberhard content. That's the type of person who I think WotLK was catering to the most, and it's something I can appreciate.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Is it not very insulting to claim that this guy has no life?
For all we know, he just found a way to quickly beat all of the achivements and dedicated a small portion of his life to doing just that.

Odd, yes, but so is collecting stamps and such.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Booze Zombie said:
Is it not very insulting to claim that this guy has no life?
For all we know, he just found a way to quickly beat all of the achivements and dedicated a small portion of his life to doing just that.

Odd, yes, but so is collecting stamps and such.
Er.

There's really no quick way to beat some of these. For example, the 100 mounts one requires you to get some of the rare mounts at ~1% drop rate off of a certain boss.

It's possible that this man has the luck of the devil, but let's be real here. That, plus topping the arena charts in not one but three brackets takes insane effort on its own.

Mushroomfreak111

Oct 24, 2009
Strangely, I'm glad I'm not him. If I woke up one day and realized I had every achivement in WoW... I can't imagine what I'd do!(go insane in one way or an other I'm sure...)

Achivements have always been for the hardcore. Yes, some are easy to get, but those are just a little taste of it. The real achivements are the ones you have to work your ass off for!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I honestly can't imagine why anyone would find that a worthwhile thing to do. Granted, I'm not too keen on the MMO genre to begin with, but continuously doing the same things over and over to get ultra-rare drops for achievements sounds like it would get exceptionally boring.

If being a hardcore gamer means sacrificing fun, screw that!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Yes..The best and most popular MMO is total shit. None of the 12 million subscribers play it.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
I got my fair share of achievement points, even some of the hardcore solo achievements. I gave up the game when I realised this wasn't something I wanted to do: spend all my free time on something that was boring to get a small feeling of accomplishment then move onto the next achievement. I've never even thought about going back because if I do, I'll probably get sucked into the vortex of achievements. Are they for casual gamers? No, not really. You get them as you level up but you never really go for them as you do it.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
ark123 said:
Do people still play this? It looks like shit.
11,000,000 going strong.

Now get outta here troll, unless you've blue skin, massive tusks and an accent to die for.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
ark123 said:
Do people still play this? It looks like shit.

Fuck it im not going to feed the troll, anyways. The world of warcraft achievement system is a little something for everybody. Casual pvp, hardcore pvp, casual non combat pet/mount collecting, hard-core non combat pet/mount collecting, Heh I just got an achievement, about bloody time, lucky, world events, things you did during a 2 second period that others didnt, killing/loving pets, casual raiding, hardcore raiding, grinding, reputations, exploration. Did I cover all of them?

(Answer no)

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Wait, so at this point WoW was actually making it easier to the casuals and somehow from a blue moon, a guy managed to achieve everything.

Devoting quite a lot of time in this game is hardcore.

I mean, is there an achievement for slaughtering 1 billion boars? *Insert SP joke

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Red-Protodrake is for sale for 1800 gold with top faction from the Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight if I recall, nothing special about that. If you mean the VIOLET Protodrake, that one comes from getting every world event achievement for an entire year (ie being present for every holiday and completing all activities in the event). That's a bit tricky since it takes persistant, and some of the things like the Noble Garden egg-camping bit take a lot of time and dedication.

Otherwise I'm somewhere between hardcore and casual, though I've fit BOTH those roles in the past, as well as being a RPer for a while when I first joined my server (which is an RP server).

I have no real problem with achievements, but I feel that by making the game more casual friendly (when it was already THE casual friendly MMORPG) was a mistake. As things stand there is already a metric ton of casual content, the majority of the content has ALWAYS been for casual players. While hardcore players might only represent 10% of the population, I do feel that there should be something there for people who put in that kind of effort except for a slight notation on their sheet. I pretty much feel also that by catering to too casual a mentality it also discourages people from ever wanting to make the transition from casual to normal, or even hardcore.

To some extent I think the current mentality removes the specialness of a lot of the content. I mean there is nothing incredible about a super-dragon if pretty much anyone in the game can see, or defeat it. It's just not really all that super anymore. Knowing it's out there however is one of the things that motivates people to get that good.

Things being what they are, if I went back to casual play I'd probably think much the same way. Heck, to be honest if it wasn't for things like "old skhool" Onyxia and the like I never would have gotten the motivation to go as far as I did with attunements and such. I spent bloody weeks doing attunement runs for Ony, MC, and BWL to make sure we had enough people to fill 40 man raid groups just so we could get in the door.

Truthfully I think 10% of the content being something you have to work for is pretty "fair". It's not like it's truely off limits, it's simply there for people who want to play at that level.

Besides which as I've pointed out before, a lot of casual players who cry about not having uber-loot and such miss the entire point to an extent. In World Of Warcraft you can run around solo and hit level 80 without ever having to deal with another person to do a group quest or dungeon if you want to. You will be able to kill just about anything that is non-elite in the game with minimal effort just with green, single player loot rewards. If that's how your playing why the holy heck do you need ungodly epic gear? Nothing you fight requires stuff like that. In general a raider pretty much gets their "phat lewt" specifically so they can progress to kill a tougher tier of monsters that comes next (either out there or under development). It's an endless grind since there is always a bigger monster and a shinier tier of Lewt, coming up, but the thrill is to perform those precisian actions (breaking a fight, and then getting faster and faster, doing hard modes, etc...), the loot simply being a way of keeping the progression in order.

I find the idea of some guy crying about a lack of raid epix so they can whack world spawn murloc camps or whatever is kind of absurd. If your not interesting in hanging out with 10-25 (or previously 40) other dedicated people to kill "Internet Dragons" or even make fun of the idea, then really I feel you have no right to the loot... and by the same token you have the other 90% of the content to do whatever you want with through as many characters as you make.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Therumancer said:
The Red-Protodrake is for sale for 1800 gold with top faction from the Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight if I recall, nothing special about that. If you mean the VIOLET Protodrake, that one comes from getting every world event achievement for an entire year (ie being present for every holiday and completing all activities in the event). That's a bit tricky since it takes persistant, and some of the things like the Noble Garden egg-camping bit take a lot of time and dedication.
You're thinking of the this achievement [http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43955].

I don't think that everyone should get the most uber loot by any stretch of the matter. But when they're putting HUGE amounts of their resources into developing content for 10% of the playerbase, that's incredibly idiotic. If I've been a Warcraft fan since WC3, I sure as bloody hell want to fight Arthas. And if I don't get to experience the end of the story without throwing my life away to a game, I'm going to be pissed.

I did the whole hardcore raider thing Pre-BC. I almost lost my life to this game.

The current way is hundreds of times better than Classic ever was.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Its the Red Drake, not the Red Proto Drake that you can buy.

The Red Proto Drake was from doing some crazy stuff in Naxx wasn't it?

As for that Achievement guy, I just found that crazy... but I never really liked the achievement system much anyways.

As for saying he has beat the game... that might not be true, there might still be gear he wants. :p
Oh and its not many days till he gets more to do :p