U.K. Workers Calling In Sick to Play Videogames

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.K. Workers Calling In Sick to Play Videogames

A new study has revealed that more than half the sick days used in the U.K. are burned up on things other than actual illness, the most common reason being - you guessed it - staying home to play videogames.

A survey of 1920 workers in the U.K. found that only 46 percent of sick days were used as a result of actual illness. Nearly three-quarters of the men in the survey admitted to having faked a sick day "in recent years," compared to 65 percent of women; while 24 percent of men say they lie about being sick so they can stay home to play games, it's a far less compelling excuse for women, only five percent of whom fake illness so they can indulge the habit. 14 percent of men also said they have no hesitation about calling in sick on launch days for high-profile games like Grand Theft Auto IV [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/].

"The sickie is a time-honored employment tradition, and although employers, including myself, wouldn't be happy to know that our workers are faking a cold in order to play the latest PS3 or Xbox 360 hit, you've got to admire their dedication to their interest," said Mark Pearson, managing director at MyVoucherCodes.co.uk, which commissioned the survey. "Whatever the reason people decide not to go into work despite being fully capable, sickies cost the U.K. economy a shedload of money. Perhaps the government could look to recoup lost revenue from games developers and fashion outlets?"

The top five reasons for faking a sick day, according to the survey:

To play videogames - 24%
To attend an appointment - 16%
To visit friends and family - 13%
To do DIY around the house - 10%
To catch up on sleep - 7%

The study said an estimated $11.5 billion is lost through people who call in sick unnecessarily, $1.6 billion of which is caused by videogaming alone.

Source: HR News [http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/972827/half-UK-sick-days-not-legitimate/]

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalangalma/65816790/in/set-656926/])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I have to admit I am guilty of all 5 of those...although I dont do it often, if its a new game (like with Borderlands) I did take a couple days off with apparant 'Swine Flu'

Although, I generally just over exagerate a previous or current condition...

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
This is not really supriseing, I mean this is what most people do after a big game release.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Kiutu said:
Whats DIY?
Do-It-Yourself. Doing up your own home, putting up shelves/wallpapers and the like without the aid of professionals.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kiutu said:
Whats DIY?
Do It Yourself. Generally refers to home improvements (Building tables and shelves and shizz like that).

Welcome to Britain, where we'll go into work if we're sick but stay home to play games. Best work ethic ever.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Amnestic said:
Welcome to Britain, where we'll go into work if we're sick but stay home to play games. Best work ethic ever.
If you're going to be ill and miserable, might as well share the love.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I can honestly say I have never called in sick when I wasn't actually sick. Now, the severity of my illness might not have warranted a day off, but I was still sick nonetheless.

I guess if I was salaried, it might be a different story, but since I make an hourly wage, me being at work is essential for collecting a paycheck and paying my bills since I don't get paid time off. Just recently, my boss forced me to go home when I got sick for two days. Damn H1N1 scare. All I had was a flippin' cold.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Hmmm.
See when I'm off because I'm ill, I usually play video games, but I don't take days off JUST to play games.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Well that's alright! Good for them!

But I mostly take days off because im tired or I gotta lot of crap to do so I need a day to get my stuff together.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Video games weren't around in 1920! I call shenanigans. (har har)

Edit:
And this quote is funny:
"The sickie is a time-honored employment tradition, and although employers, including myself, wouldn't be happy to know that our workers are faking a cold in order to play the latest PS3 or Xbox 360 hit, you've got to admire their dedication to their interest," said Mark Pearson, managing director at MyVoucherCodes.co.uk, which commissioned the survey.
It's like he's saying, "I admire these people, but if you're my employee, please don't stop hiding the fact that you do this. I don't admire these people that much."

Then:
"Whatever the reason people decide not to go into work despite being fully capable, sickies cost the U.K. economy a shedload of money. Perhaps the government could look to recoup lost revenue from games developers and fashion outlets?"
What kind of evidence does he have to back up his claim that it hurts the economy? Only one of the things listed is free (catching up on sleep), so these people are injecting money into the economy. And for employees who get paid for sick days, that is more money which will be injected into the economy as well. As long as they are productive when they are at work, I don't see the problem. They only get a certain number of sick days per year or at least if they take too many they'll get fired, so it's not like people are calling in sick for a year at a a time, playing video games and collecting money from their employers...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Who hasn't stayed home from work/school/family events to play a game? Some days you just can't make it maybe you are genuinely sick, stress is considered a sickness by many. Games relieve stress so therefore! You are simply fixing it the same way you'd be taking and advil, only with more fun.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Just noticed the picture is of a Best Buy - we don't actually have those in the U.K ;) although they do plan to open stores sometime during 2010.

Holy crap it's almost 2010. I'm almost 20 years of age. Weird.