Nintendo DS Is UK's Best Selling Console Ever

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo DS Is UK's Best Selling Console Ever

Nintendo has sold more than 10 million units of their handheld DS in the United Kingdom, making it the best-selling game console in the region's history.

The total sales numbers since the console was released in 2005 were reported by GFK Chart-Track [http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/news/index.jsp] (subscription required.) The mark of 10.05 million sold narrowly beats out the PlayStation 2, which has sold 10.02 million units in Britain. Nintendo estimates that 1 out of every 6 Brits has a DS.

The company, of course, has some marketing bullet points as to why the DS is so popular. "Nintendo's Touch Generations range of software, which has been expanding the definition of videogame, has resonated strongly with people of all ages, extending its appeal to a non-traditional gaming audience, which now sees people aged between five and 95 picking up and playing Nintendo DS consoles," said Nintendo.

Nintendo has announced in the past that it has shipped over 100 million DS all over the world. Even if all of those units are bought up by consumers, the DS has a long way to go to beat out total sales of the PS2. The Sony console holds the record for best-selling console ever, with 160 million sales worldwide.

I guess there are a lot of kids out there with pink DSes in Hello Kitty cases but cool black plastic is still the trump card.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/geishabot/2164700162/])

Source: Edge [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ds-sells-over-10-million-in-uk]

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
I think my Mum is getting DSi for xmas, and nothing is worse than having your parents have a better model than yours...I still use a GB advance, and 'because I can' is your answer why.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
*pats his black DSLite*

Solid console, decent game selection, a number of good exclusives (World Ends with You, Ace Attorney series (note: Technically not all are exclusive, some are on the older GBA as well)), Professor Layton).

I'm not surprised.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I am a guy and have a pink dsl. People always give me weird looks on the bus.
But hey, its not in a hello kitty case or anything!

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I'm not surprised that it's selling well to be honest. I was thinking of picking one up at some point (but don't know whether I'll ever get around to it...)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The Sony console holds the record for best-selling console ever, with 160 million sales worldwide.
Funny. Kotaku says it was 138 million at the end of August. :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me, seems everyone I meet has a DS these days, lol

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
I'm not surprised. The DS is like an RPG dream machine. Mario and Luigi, Disgaea, FFTA2, Luminous Arc, etc.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Greg Tito said:
I guess there are a lot of kids out there with pink DSes in Hello Kitty cases but cool black plastic is still the trump card.
No way! I'd ick myoriginal silver DSover a black lite any day.

OT, I'm glad, but I wonder how many off those people only played it for 5 seconds before chucking it... I'm nbot saying it's bad, it's my current main console (I'm playing mostly FF3 and Scribblenauts's sandbox), but I know loads of people, my grandparents, my little sister, some of my friends) who played a couple of rubbish games and got bored!

Actually, that's a partial lie- my sister still plays the rubbish games.

ACTUAL SISTER QUOTE:

"Just because you don't play proper games!"

(The context of this was me talking about games like Final Fantasy, TES, etc. This was my sister's protection for... wait for it...

Cooking Mama.)
Oh my god it's happened; casual gamer elitism. Maybe they are real gamers

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Because unlike other consoles, the DS is the only one that won't effectively destroy your social life.