Stolen Pixels #150: +2 Shoes of Floppiness

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #150: +2 Shoes of Floppiness

Just once, it'd be nice to play through an RPG looking like an adventurer, and not a dumpster-diver.

Read Full Article

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
"We got all this stuff from the last town we helped."

After we kicked their asses for making fun of our fashion!

Hammer_Wizard

Dec 1, 2009
This has always bothered me about rpg's for ages! Why cant I wear what I want, when I want, and still be optimal? Prison sequences are of course excluded from this complaint.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Great to see another DA:O comic, always brightens up my day. ^_^

I agree on the whole helmets/hats deal, they were so nasty that I refused to use them at all. Same about the female Dalish armor, how can that protect you when it exposes your whole tummy? I had no idea that the dudes can wear that skirt thing though...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yeah my rogue in Dragon Age: Origins is still wearing the Executioner Helmet(+20 Stamina) because it's the only graphic I could stomach seeing on him all the time.

As much as I would love to see more games implement double gear set systems or allow for dying your gear to at least match colors - I really have to wonder what was going through the artists heads when they made some of these models. You go through all the trouble of crafting this dark gritty story, just to be pulled out of it every time you see your character wearing some ridiculously silly hat.

One drawback I have found with the double set method though, is you end up looking pretty much exactly the same the whole time. You keep finding new and shinier loot, but because it looks terrible you end up appearing in the same clothes for huge stretches of time - which takes some of the fun out of finding new gear. Although it does add this strange meta option to loot finding where every piece of armor is looked at for it's aesthetic potential for your appearance set in addition to it's actual stats.

Lord of the Rings Online probably had the best overall system for handling this. It was double set with the ability to dye items, equip other clothing accessories and you had multiple appearance sets you could swap between. You still ran into the same trapping of looking largely the same most of the time, but at least you had a pretty wide variety to customize from.

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
It's a rule about videogaming - The stupider and more impractical your character looks, the better you are.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Winged helmets aren't awesome?! Oh noes! Apparently my life has been a lie all this time. While we're talking about armor though, am I the only one who's had the Blood Dragon armor not render properly for a female character? The entire chest section where the dragon is supposed to display shows up almost flat black, which I thought might have been a temporary rendering error but it just won't go away.

The armor looked fine on my male character (for a given definition of fine anyways, I was so pissed that it had better stats than Warden Commander armor because that was sweet looking).

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
WoW had a start to the right idea. Clan tunics. They were worn over your chest armour, displaying a crest. Expand the idea so it's not just a little logo, but a whole customizable cloth tunic that covers your entire chest armour. And leggings too.

These kinds of things not only aided in recognizing what "side" you were on, or "who" you were, they also helped protect the armour from the elements.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
They actually look kind of cool (except the hat of the first guy). I like when my gear is random and i never know how I'm going to look later in the game.
But i hate to wear black clothing when I'm evil and white when I'm a mage, where's the logic in that?

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
My guy has the full Blood Dragon armor set, which is funny, because it's got glowing red eyes.
Plus he's got Ageless. (a big, BIG sword)
I don't think anyone would make fun of him, especially not after eating the High Dragon of Haven alive.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
On the flipside though, other helmets in DA:O are bad-ass. Case in point: The Rock-Knocker (+50 Stamina) and other helmets of that design. The Juggernaut helmet (which my main had at the end) was also amazing.

Apr 28, 2008
Thankfully there is a mod that unequips the helmets in all situations but re-equips them in battle.

Now I can actually get the benifit of them without looking like a dumbass.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Ryuk2 said:
But i hate to wear black clothing when I'm evil and white when I'm a mage, where's the logic in that?
What do you mean? Evil people wear black because it makes them harder to spot so other people can't see their evil deeds.

I'm evil and I wear black all the time.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
While I do find some of the helmets and outfits to look goofy, I actually like the constant changing of armor. It makes me think of Vikings and such, a fitting throwback considering the fantasy setting. Watch a film like The 13th Warrior and you'll see one character with a Spanish helmet and completely mismatched studded armor, while another has a thick fur while donning a French helm. Granted it all looks practical in terms of warfare, unlike the Dalish armor on females, but it gives this feeling of "I've been anywhere and everywhere". Which is how an adventurer should feel.

That said, I think the most goofy aspect of changing outfits was the constant fluctuation in cup sizes on the females. I'm typically not one to ogle a 3-D model, but I swear Leliana went from a D-Cup in her conservative robes when I first got her to a C when I put her in leather armor. This change occurred for Morrigan rather often as well.

I wonder if it would have been better for them to try and fit the armor model over preset character dimensions or not?

Actually, plate mail tended to look more odd on non-dwarven characters as well. The huge shoulder pads somehow fit for the dwarves since they are so stout, but when I put some on Alistair and Sten it looked really awkward. So wide up top, but then so scrawny at the legs.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Ryuk2 said:
What do you mean? Evil people wear black because it makes them harder to spot so other people can't see their evil deeds.

I'm evil and I wear black all the time.
Real evil people try to look like good people. But i don't see why black is supposed to be evil color. I wear black and white clothing, what does that say about me? I have split personality between evil and good? Why can't evil people in games be white like that white guy from Lord of the rings? (i don't remember he's name, but he was completely white)
p.s are all black people evil by Dragon age standarts? 0_o

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
They look like they're suffering from a common RPG gear appearance dilemma known as "Outland Quest Green Syndrome."