Pentagon "Zombifying" Pigs to Save Wounded Soldiers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pentagon "Zombifying" Pigs to Save Wounded Soldiers

In an effort to improve the survival rate of soldiers wounded on the battlefield, a Pentagon-funded project is developing a zombie juice cocktail and testing the results on rats and pigs.

Pop quiz time: What is the leading cause of death during combat amongst members of the U.S. Armed Forces? If you answered "blood loss," you'd be right: Blood loss accounts for almost half of fatalities in action by itself. Tragically, this high percentage of deaths is despite advancements in modern medical science that means blood loss is relatively easy to treat - as long as the injured soldier is treated in time.

If treatment is received during the so-called "golden period" - about an hour after being injured - odds of survival in those suffering from severe blood loss are significantly improved, but after that hour is up, they plummet drastically. In the heat of combat, that sort of rapid evacuation and triage is extremely difficult ... which is why the Pentagon - specifically its superscience branch DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) - is funding research to try to prolong that crucial hour.

The answer, according to teams working on the project, could be to render animals in a near-undeath state of suspended animation. Though one team at Stanford University has been busy researching how humans could mimic the hibernation of squirrels thanks to a pancreatic enzyme our two species have in common, another group at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center has been experimenting with a chemical cocktail that uses hydrogen sulfide to block the body's ability to use oxygen, meaning that hearts don't beat and (more importantly) wounds don't bleed.

Team leader Dr. Mark Roth found that the hydrogen sulfide solution was able to keep a rat alive for ten hours after it had lost 60% of its blood - which means the next step is to move on to pigs, which possess a circulatory system more like our own. If the swine can be kept in a state of survival despite heavy blood loss, the next step is federal safety testing, and then - hopefully - real-world application of the zombie juice serum.

While the immediate benefits will be military - soldiers carry syringes of the cocktail into battle, injecting fallen comrades with the stuff in order to induce suspended animation until treatment is carried out and they can be revived - Texas A&M Institute for Preclinical Studies researcher Matthew Miller says the advancement could see practical use well beyond the battlefield. Suspended animation could make it easier to transport organs for transplant, and it could be used to interrupt life-threatening emergencies such as heart attacks until treatment could arrive, too.

"Everybody's talking about the military use of this, and that's our focus now ... But really, this could be much, much bigger than that."

How do you say "brains" in oink?

(ABC [http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/pentagon-zombifies-pigs-save-injured-soldiers/story?id=9294487&page=1])

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Heh, this could be quite useful. I only hope it never falls into the hands on the public, though...
Interesting.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
That's actually quite interesting. If we can go even further with this, we could actually have cryogenics be viable.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
ahhhh.....Zombies!!!!

nah just kidding, this would definately be useful.....if it works of course.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Wait, doesn't your brain get damaged if there's no oxygen for it for like, 10 minutes?
After 10 hours, you'd really be a zombie.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That's... that's very scary. But could be a ton of help in abttle.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Oh my God, Resident Evil but in real life. Fear the T-Virus!

Nah, just kidding. If it keeps them alive, awesome, we don't need more dead people.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Yeah, I was wondering about the effects on the brain too. And not just the brain. Blood carries oxygen to all parts of the body. After 10 hours, shouldn't you be a brain dead, paralyzed vegetable? Call me crazy, but I'll take the bleed out over that.

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
Well, what will happen if the pigs have swine flu?

Zombie pigs bite scientist, scientist bites everyone!!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
More serious brain related question...

What effect would stopping blood flow have on the brain? I thought that if you starve the brain of oxygen you have 2minutes at the very most before you end up in permanent serious brain damage territory.

It'll be no good keeping someone alive for ten hours if you're going to wake them up into a state where they either die very quickly anyway or wish they had in the first place.

Eh, they've probably thought of that already, no doubt the solution's ingenius.

undyingdh777

Red Lantern
Jun 25, 2008
Alien wormholes over Norway now this? I may just become a hobo and start walking around with a huge sign that says 'The End is Nigh'

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I love how the name of a superscience branch is DARPA. That sounds like the complete opposite of superscience to me. But if they're making zombies then they get massive, MASSIVE kudos.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
fix-the-spade said:
More serious brain related question...

What effect would stopping blood flow have on the brain? I thought that if you starve the brain of oxygen you have 2minutes at the very most before you end up in permanent serious brain damage territory.

It'll be no good keeping someone alive for ten hours if you're going to wake them up into a state where they either die very quickly anyway or wish they had in the first place.

Eh, they've probably thought of that already, no doubt the solution's ingenius.
If I recall correctly, oxygen use/needs are reduced while sleeping, and further reduced in a coma. If the suspended animation state has similar effects, the brain may last longer on what's left in the nearby blood.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
oh crap here we go, you justify the zombifying medicine like it will help the world and then BAM! zombie apocalypse!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It's not really "zombifying" considering that it does jack shit to dead tissue. Why would anyone call this a "zombifying" serum? It's just suspended animation and has nothing to do with the re-animation of dead tissue, hence not remotely related to zombies.

RoboPenguin

Apr 14, 2009
jthm said:
Yeah, I was wondering about the effects on the brain too. And not just the brain. Blood carries oxygen to all parts of the body. After 10 hours, shouldn't you be a brain dead, paralyzed vegetable? Call me crazy, but I'll take the bleed out over that.
See that's the part that if this were a movie, would be spoken by the concerned scientist to explain to the audience why things go terribly and horribly wrong later in the film. I'm thinking we need to stock up on beans and shotgun ammo now.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Yeah....theres no way this can backfire...not!

Better stock up on ammo and practice with L4D2 as much as you can before the horde comes.