Syberia 3 Real, PS3 Release Uncertain

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Syberia 3 Real, PS3 Release Uncertain

After teasing a third Syberia game over April Fools', Microïds announced that it is actually making the title after all - but claims that if Syberia 3 doesn't end up on the PS3 as planned, it'll be Sony's fault.

There were joke announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90621-April-Fools-2009-Roundup] that they were working on a sequel to cult-classic adventure game Syberia for the PC and PS3 platforms. Some people laughed, some Syberia fans sobbed at the cruel barbs, and a jolly good time was had by all.

The original Syberia (and its sequel), the brainchild of Benoît Sokal, put players into the shoes of Kate Walker, an American lawyer sent to a rural French village to finalize a sale on the behalf of her law firm. But it's steampunk - also, there are woolly mammoths. No, seriously. It was received favorably, and while its sales didn't light the world on fire, those who played it tended to love it ... so one can understand their pain at Microïds' April Fools' gag.

Wait, what's this, now? It wasn't a joke? Can you, uh... do that? It's like a bait-and-switch, only in reverse.

As it turns out, the company is, in fact, working on a third Syberia - though it might not come out on the PS3 after all, and Microïds president Emmanuel Olivier says that if it doesn't, Sony will be to blame. According to Olivier, Sony blocked the release of the original Syberia on the PS2 in the United States, despite generally favorable reviews (and the very same game being available for the PS2 in Europe!) Nor was this limited to just Syberia - Olivier claims that Sony refused a dozen other Microïds titles in the US.

It isn't just the rocky relationship between Microïds and Sony that might prevent a PS3 Syberia 3, though - Olivier thinks that Sony's royalties to develop for the PS3 are simply too steep for small development studios:

[blockquote]Beyond this censorship of the authors and their producers who believe in their creations and who take the financial risks when building up productions for the console without knowing whether they will be approved or denied by SONY in the last minute, the exorbitant royalties demanded by SONY to manufacture the games on its consoles seriously hamper the financing ability of independent producers. Microïds has paid more than 15 million Euros of royalties to SONY for its entire catalog, which represents 55% of the Microïds turnover for this platform. April Fools? Well no! It is unfortunately the "rule of the game" imposed by SONY.[/blockquote]

Microïds says it wants to release Syberia 3 on the PS3, and has begun to rally fans to try and get Sony to revise its policies. The one-two punch of lost potential revenue from a US release and "exorbitant" royalties means that if Sony doesn't change their ways, Olivier says that Syberia 3 for the PS3 will be an April Fools' joke after all.

(Joystiq [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/syberia-3-definitely-on-the-way-for-pc--but-ps3-version-could-be-an-issue])

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
That's great. I'm glad to see a developer making an adventure game again. Especially a sequel to one that was actually decent.
unlike some *cough*Dracula series*cough*

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
Hurray! I cheer a cheer for mankind.

bodyklok said:
Syberia, thats in China. Right?
No. If you're thinking of Sibirea, it's the region constituting most of northern Asia and I believe some of Russia.

I think. The two are spelled differently.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Doug said:
Erm, I never heard of Syberia before - am I the only one?
Nope I've never heard of it either.
Shame on Sony denying companies, think about the children (fans)!

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
A bait, switch, and rebait?

Maybe next April 1, in an attempt to truly alienate their fans, they will announce that this announcement was in fact a year-long april fool's joke being played on the world by Microïd, thus driving thousands of fans to irrational acts of anger and despair.

I'd lol.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Indigo_Dingo said:
Wait, didn't Sony lower their liscensing fees to about a third of what they were recently? Or was that something else entirely?
They lowered the fee for the dev kit, I believe, not their licensing fee.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Wait, didn't Sony lower their liscensing fees to about a third of what they were recently? Or was that something else entirely?
They lowered the fee for the dev kit, I believe, not their licensing fee.
Yes, that was what got lowered, unless I'm quite mistaken.

As for the topic: Uh, good/bad news for Syberia fans I suppose. I'm not one of them myself, but perhaps I'll see what it's like.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
You can pick up both Syberia and Syberia II for the Xbox, actually, though they're a tiny bit broken. (Porting point-and-click adventure games to the Xbox is still an inexact science.)

Syberia is absolutely brilliant. One of my all-time favorite games. The sequel is also quite good, but just didn't resonate with me the same way the first one did.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
So I know this article is kind of super old, but I recently found a copy of the first Syberia for Xbox in a local used game store. I looked it up and it sounds interesting. I'm pretty sure I know what you'll all tell me, but should I definitely go back and buy it?