New Borderlands DLC Channels Mad Max

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Borderlands DLC Channels Mad Max

Gearbox wasn't done supporting Borderlands after releasing The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned; a second DLC pack is already on the way.

The coming of a new Borderlands DLC expansion has been officially announced and it looks to add a new game mode and a few extra bonuses. The expansion will be called Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, a title that was obviously inspired by the film Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

In Thunderdome, Mad Max must fight in a gladiatorial arena where "two men enter, one man leaves." Presumably, this is also the premise of Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, but with four people entering and hopefully four leaving. The expansion will add three new Riot Mode arenas that task groups of players to survive against waves of enemies. Unlike Mad Max, players of Underdome Riot will be collecting lots and lots of loot in the process of fighting in these arenas.

Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot will also add a bank in which weapons can be stored; not a bad idea at all considering Borderlands is hyped for having millions and millions of weapons. Finally, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot will make two additional skill points available as quest rewards, enabling players to make their characters a smidgen or two more powerful. It'll cost a smooth $9.99 or 800 Microsoft points depending on which currency you choose to deal in, and is scheduled for release on Xbox live on December 29, 2009, while it's coming a little later to the PlayStation Network on January 7, 2010.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
YES.
YES.
SWEET. So totally awesome. I loved the arena quests in Borderlands, so is this just more of them?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
"Two men enter, one man leave!"

...becomes...

"Three men (and one chick) enter, and all eventually rage-quit!"

[small]Sweet![/small]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
hmmm, I'd prefer they un-bork the PC multiplayer, but this seems interesting.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Yet no PC release date....

*sigh*

I bet it's coming a month or more later after the PS3 release.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I don't know about content at hand, but the name is hilarious.
HardRockSamurai said:

...becomes...

[small]Sweet![/small]
And so are you, sir.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I am intrigued by this weapon bank. I do a good job of removing useless equipment, but not having to sort through my "keepables" to get rid of the "sellables" will be really nice.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Is no one else a little disapointed in the fact they are using the arena from mad max and not the insanely awesome car fights and chases?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
"It's like the Thunderdome in here. Only... two men enter, no man leaves. Starring Mel Gibson, and Master Blaster."

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Furburt said:
Woo!

I love it when developers keep their promises. And I love Mad Max, SCORE!
You mean promises like a DRM-free game and patches for PC version?
VincentX3 said:

*sigh*

And they'll add a second DRM.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Well i'm getting borderlands for chistmas and this news makes me mad, because like every time i get a game like fallout 3 or oblvion i say to myself, why didn't i just wait for the full package instead of buying it at 60 bucks new and then spending the extra. Oh well hopefully dlc never crosses my mind when playing borderlands.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ralackk said:
Is no one else a little disapointed in the fact they are using the arena from mad max and not the insanely awesome car fights and chases?
Well, they already have a mission where you fight "Mad Mel" in a car in a suspiciously rickety wooden domed arena. In fact, the entire Dahl Headlands was basically ripped from Mad Max :p

Besides, the arena idea was just a guess. I'm gonna guess that the arena is part of it, but I can see cars, trucks and rockets flying everywhere... Time to dust off my ol' Maliwan Incendiary Rocket Launcher!

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
VincentX3 said:

*sigh*

And they'll add a second DRM.
Don't forget this one will probably be even shorter than the Zombie Island one.

Canadaftw

Apr 24, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:

...becomes...

[small]Sweet![/small]
That is so true. I have never heard of the movie this DLC is apparently a refrence to.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Hmm i dont know.. i didnt feel like Zombie island wasnt that fun, i dont think i iwll enjoy this DLC either..

dreamtime

Jan 10, 2009
Too bad that their inspiration comes from the weakest film in the series, the one that sold out and replaced bad-ass car chases and brutal violence with a group of annoying children and...Tina Turner.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hooray for having to buy a storage chest. Well done Bioware you are now trendsetters. This really doesn't interest me (bitterness about chest aside). Is it just an arena battle? Are there more quests. Will the enemies scale?