First Halo: Reach Trailer Introduces the Squad

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
First Halo: Reach Trailer Introduces the Squad

The Spike TV Video Game Awards this past weekend gave us a first look at Bungie's upcoming Halo: Reach.

The world's first trailer for Halo: Reach is now out in the wild, thanks in part to Spike TV's 2009 VGAs which aired on December 12. The event in recent years has lured viewers by promising exclusive announcements and trailers, this year being no different. Thanks to the internet, even if you missed the event you can still watch the Halo: Reach trailer to your heart's content.

Halo: Reach will be a prequel to the original Halo: Combat Evolved and takes place on the planet Reach, a military hub. The game may introduce some history behind the Spartan Program, which recruited elite military veterans and armed them with the Mjolnir-powered assault armor.

The trailer shows off a couple of interesting characters, including a solider with a skull-painted helmet and a scarred up female soldier. These two, and a few others, will be members of the player's six-person squad, with the main character joining as the new "number six." The squad's commander tells the him to "leave that lone wolf stuff behind," whether that is a hint to Reach's gameplay or not. The trailer ends by revealing that Halo: Reach is scheduled to release in Fall 2010.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I like, it looks like they finally moved to an engine that looks like more then a mod for the original CE engine.

Also, team based gameplay is fun, really hope it's not just a rip-off of republic commando though.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Hmm. I wonder if it's going to be more like ODST than the original?

If it is, then I'm definitely sold.

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
I love how the only person that looks legitimately different and interesting is the Ghost knockoff. Other than that, they all seem like pretty much the same people to me at thispoint, and I don't give a crap about either of them.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
So is this gonna be explaining how Master Chief got to be Master Chief or is this an entirely new main character?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
GamerLuck said:
So is this gonna be explaining how Master Chief got to be Master Chief or is this an entirely new main character?
That...would actually be pretty awesome.

Also, I loved the way the trailer lampshaded H3's ending at 1:15 like that.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Personally, its made the books non cannon but its looking VERY badass, but we can has gameplay yet?

"The game may introduce some history behind the Spartan Program, which recruited elite military veterans and armed them with the Mjolnir-powered assault armor."

nononononononononononononononononononononono..... last time i checked, the Spartans were recruited when they were children, again quoting from the books

Still it looks cool, but want to buy a good excuse
Having not read the cole protecole (so no one spoil it) could this be gray team?

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
Even though I hate Halo with a passion(because it's a bog standard FPS not with much in the way of innovation, not because it's popular)I have to admit that I'm intrigued.
Hopefully it won't a pile of wank(and a short pile of wank at that)like ODST which I'm so glad I didn't buy(my brother who knows nothing more than games bought it). Not that I liked Halo 3 that much either lol.

But yes.

Intrigued I am.

Jul 22, 2009
GamerLuck said:
This is as far as i can tell a new main character, cause in the books he was promoted when he was a lot younger because of his leadership qualities. During one of his first training missions as a child he beat up some UNSC officers stole a pelican and was promoted to sqaud leader because of it.

Jul 22, 2009
VitusPrime said:
Personally, its made the books non cannon but its looking VERY badass, but we can has gameplay yet?

"The game may introduce some history behind the Spartan Program, which recruited elite military veterans and armed them with the Mjolnir-powered assault armor."

nononononononononononononononononononononono..... last time i checked, the Spartans were recruited when they were children, again quoting from the books

Still it looks cool, but want to buy a good excuse
Having not read the cole protecole (so no one spoil it) could this be gray team?
No I don't think so, gray team weren't on reach and they dissapear for very long periods of time.

I'd like to see a game based around them one day.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I see I'm not the only one getting some Republic Commando vibes from this.

Meh, probably just wishful thinking...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
GamerLuck said:
The commander calls him a Lieutenant while they are walking out of the building to the choppers, so likely a new main character.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
VitusPrime said:

That's what I was thinking. I don't recall the novels being non-cannon. iirc Bungie approved the story. Besides, Halo 3 made many references to the novels, only further cementing the novels' legitimacy. Why would they go and fuck that all up now? It makes for more thought provoking to tell how they were abducted when they were children.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Always love the cinematics, but I won't buy this game, I'll rent it like I did ODST, I'm not buying the same multiplayer a fourth time.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Hmm. I wonder if it's going to be more like ODST than the original?

If it is, then I'm definitely sold.
Same here. Loved his ODST worked, and if this runs in a similar vain, then it should be alot of fun!

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I hate that I feel the urge to say this... but [Comic Book Nerd Voice]the SPARTAN-Is were augmented in adulthood (already in the military). The SPARTAN-IIs (i.e. Master Chief) were selected in youth, trained, augmented, and given the MJOLNIR armor (which pulped un-augmented individuals). SPARTAN-IIIs were selected in youth, trained, augmented on an accelerated schedule, and given armor but not powered exoskeletons. [/Comic Book Nerd Voice]

Not saying that they couldn't alter canon by giving military veterans MJOLNIR, but they've stuck pretty close to canon thus far. I don't see why they'd change it now.

P.S. Predicting that I've been beaten on this info already, since it's taken me like 30 minutes to write this, going back and forth with other things.

CrimsonTemplar

Apr 20, 2009
Yeah, I have to agree. Aside from pandering to some suit who didn't want to deal with bad press over the main characters being children taken from their homes, biologically enhanced and indoctrinated to be the ultimate soldiers I can't see a reason why they'd retcon it.

I hope the article is misinformed about this.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Halo has got worse and worse ever since Combat Evolved. Think about it:

Halo = great
Halo 2 = great, but less so than the first
Halo 3 = average, graphics got a tiny bump, multiplayer was pretty much the exact same
Halo Wars = Below average, extremely simplistic rts
Halo: ODST = Halo 3's multiplayer with a new mode and a three hour campaign for full price
Halo: Reach = who knows?

Maybe this will change it. It looks good so far, and the graphics look better than a HD original Xbox game with EXTREME bloom effects.