179: The Slot-1 Secret

Sam Machkovech

Dec 8, 2008
The Slot-1 Secret

Simple, cheap methods of piracy have made the Nintendo DS the most vulnerable portable console ever. There's a reason why Nintendo doesn't care.

Read Full Article

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
A lot of the info is outdated.

A 2gb flashcart + memory combo, compatible with everything except Chrono Trigger North America, goes for 17.05 USD right now. With shipping to the EU, US or Canada.

And the DSi has already been cracked.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
So flashcarts are the reason all the store shelves are clogged with shovelware? Damn you, flashcarts! Damn you!

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I think Nintendo do have a claim to campaign against flash carts because of the piracy, but I think they should have really took a step back before they damn them completely, because imo flash carts did a better job with the DS than Nintendo itself.

Software that's open with loads of customization, allowing people to download games, play music, use their DS as an organizer, a multimedia device greater than a cheesy DSi anyday. It's endless to the amount of creative applications and uses it can achieve, which is really what makes homebrew interesting.

Using a flash cart just for the sake of piracy though doesn't sit well with me, I wouldn't download a game like Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney because I enjoyed it so much and Capcom deserve all the revenue they gain from it.

I can sympathise with people who hate the overpricing of DS games, I've played some new releases on the xbox arcade for half the price of some of the DS games that were better. Ideally I'd like to see DS new releases at 2/3 of the price they are at now, but with sales typically a lot less than home consoles they sometimes need to squeeze every little bit of cash out of the videogames they release.

This is how you should have made the DS Nintendo, maybe even with a small fee for downloadable releases or an imitation of MS points but it would have been a lot better than what we have now.

Valalvax

Dec 9, 2008
Now I normally don't complain, but the white man with the games in his hands/bag (obviously stolen), with the black man's face photoshopped ontop of it, is very obvious racism, and quite offensive at that.

nhex

Dec 9, 2008
Interesting article. It's hard to get conclusive information on the rates and effects of DS flash cart piracy, but it is surprisingly widespread and easy.

I'm quite saddened at the Contra IV numbers, it definitely deserved more success than that, despite being on the extreme side of hardcore appeal in its difficulty and presentation. Like Plasmatizer, I try to support as many good DS games as I can, but I do think it's somewhat ridiculous to charge $40 for many of the prestige titles, like the Square remakes of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger. Even a brand new critically acclaimed title like The World Ends With You probably shouldn't have been at that price point.

Didn't realize Guitar Hero: On Tour was the #1 seller all year long! I'm not looking forward to more of these game/hardware combos, but the peripheral and brand name were enough to push it, I suppose.

Task

Jul 8, 2008
Valalvax said:
Now I normally don't complain, but the white man with the games in his hands/bag (obviously stolen), with the black man's face photoshopped ontop of it, is very obvious racism, and quite offensive at that.
Uh, no. It's a white man with a stocking on his head. Look at the picture *before* making your animal-like grunts.
Also, I'd never even heard of these until now. Maybe they're just not as well known in my part of Europe? Or maybe just not by me.
I like the idea of user-created, unwarrantied software but not the idea of all the good designers leaving the DS to work on say, the PSP. I'll stick to paying for stuff, even if I'm paying too much.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Good read, it's funny to see the DS is starting to show the same symptoms as the PC market. If people are just going to steal whatever you try to publish for it, then developers are going to quit making games for it.

Interesting angle on the casual market emphasis though. It never occurred to me to think of that as a solution to the piracy issue but...the developers can just stop making games that tech savvy gamers are going to be interested in stealing. Yet another fact to rattle at the pro-piracy crowd claiming they don't hurt video games.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
This is similar to what happened with World of Goo, most of the people who own it (around 80% by some figures) have pirated it. A lot of people who talk about sticking it to The Man just make The Man change his target audience. Most of the people who pirate games just don't want to pay money for them. This creates an environment where you have people clamoring for better games, but unwilling to pay for them. This makes the entire hardcore audience mad because Nintendo won't make them because piracy results in a large amount of revenue lost, but then gets yelled at by people because they won't make non-casual games.

Anti-piracy tech is hard to implement anywhere because even if you have a team of ten thousand people working to make something secure, the number of people who are going to try and crack it is going to be larger.

Example:
If a standard team is fifty people, compare that to the number of DS owners who would like to play Mario for free (say 90%, or about 72 million), now maybe only a tenth of those people have the time and skill necessary to understand what is going on with the code (7.2 million). Now assume that only a tenth of those people have the equipment/funds necessary to work on cracking the code (72,000). Even if you cut this number by ninety percent you still have 720 people who are going to be working to undo the work of fifty. Those are not favorable. The fact that flashcarts are a safe way to pirate software makes it even more attractive to people who want to make money from doing so.

I have a problem with everybody wanting everything they own with a power cable to be a multimedia center. This results in the attempted hacking of everything that you can think of. Nintendo didn't make the DS a multimedia device because they didn't want it to be one. Insisting that everything plays MP3's just makes everything more complicated. People have home computers, laptops, iWhatevers, cellphones, and countless other ways to do that. Cracking software to add functionality may have been the intent, but if you tell people how to do it easily, then most of them will simply use that work to steal stuff.

Probably the worst part is that the flash carts were a fluke. A combination of untraceability along with working almost flawlessly on brand new hardware, a lucky break with getting access to the hardware, and ease of implementation have made flash carts a huge success, to the detriment of Nintendo, and as a result, it's customers. Nintendo has always worked hard to bring good games to the market, but if they can't make money doing that, then they will try something else. This is the same thing that happens with PC games: good games get the crap pirated out of them, so developers are hesitant to spend the resources to make a good game. While a game may make money in spite of pirating, loosing 200,000 in unit sales makes for a Bad Financial Decision.

Games have gotten more expensive because of inflation and because we have demanded that they have more features and better graphics every time. A game like Pokemon is going to cost more to develop because that is the nature of high profile games. Most games, however, don't have a fan base that has been established for over ten years. This leaves Nintendo in the awkward position of either losing a large amount of money on every game they make, or to make games that most people won't pirate. Then we lambaste them because the hardcore audience is neglected. If you had the choice between small-budget games lots of people will buy or big-budget games that some people will buy, others will steal, and then all will complain about, which would you choose?

[/rant][/lecture]

The thing I find most amusing is that the large majority of non-PC pirated games I see people play were made for a Nintendo platform.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
its not realy the same thing as PC piracy tho is it, this is much easier and personally i think nintendo deserve it more... they dont care about people using them...they make appauling games and then charge prices i wouldnt even dream of spending on a console game.

or am i talking about the wii?

at least PC are trying to stop piracy...even if they are failing, they try like they try when making a decent game, and nintendo try with neither now...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
There is a better way to respond to software piracy and it's summed up beautifully by the dev team at the Paradox Interactive forums. Those devs put extra weight in comments given by anyone who's actually bought and registered their games; you don't register (and really, with there being no DRM on their releases, registering is the least you can do), you don't get a voice.

The net result of this for Paradox has been a fanatically loyal fanbase that is given early access to betas, patches, and added content, meaning that everything the company releases is tailored to the sorts of people who actually buy their games.

So much of the "hardcore fanbase" in gaming is comprised of pirates that I don't blame companies for saying "y'know what? Screw you guys, we can't make any money off you so why bother developing games for you?"

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
The difference with Nintendo is that you can't offer those same incentive because of the nature of the hardware. Copying a CD (legally or not) is cheap and affordable for almost anybody. Copying a cartridge is more complicated and anybody dedicated to doing so and don't care about stuff like this.

It is still a realy cool way of doing something about piracy, though.

nhex

Dec 9, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Interesting angle on the casual market emphasis though. It never occurred to me to think of that as a solution to the piracy issue but...the developers can just stop making games that tech savvy gamers are going to be interested in stealing. Yet another fact to rattle at the pro-piracy crowd claiming they don't hurt video games.
This may be true - but as with the Playstation 2's success, the overall success of the DS system has granted possibilities for more hardcore titles released due to the base numbers being large enough to support them. This year alone we've gotten big critically acclaimed genre titles (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, The World Ends With You, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Etrian Odyssey 2, FFTA 2), nostalgia-based remakes (FF IV, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV) and others like Rhythm Tengoku and the non-game Korg DS-10. These aren't aimed the same market as Nintendogs. These are the games I would want to steal (and can't afford to buy most, if I wanted to!) if I was pirating.

So even though Brain Age gets all the press, the market is large enough to benefit hardcore titles as well, even if they only sell a fraction of those bigger titles. Perhaps next year there will be a dearth of hardcore titles, but at least in 2008 there wasn't a shortage. This problem does seem to be true for the Wii, though, which isn't very piratable, but instead the hardcore games are developed for Xbox 360 and PS3. At least, there hasn't been a shift from DS to PSP in developing hardcore titles.

Akas

Feb 7, 2008
I do believe that Nintendo could have done a better job with the DS in terms of streamlining things. Right now, the DS has more than 3000 "games" out. After subtracting the number of re-releases in different languages and things that are Japan only, there's STILL a ridiculous amount of games out there. If I have a DS, and maybe as little as 1% of the total games available, that's STILL going to be 5-10 games and boxes.

So you're telling me, on a portable system, that I'd have to carry around a bunch of boxes or otherwise be stuck with just one? I'm one of those people that's out and about a lot, and usually I have my DS with me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I do have a flash cart: the number one thing I do with my DS isn't play games. It's reading (with DS Reader)! Heck, I check my e-mail and listen to music more than I play copies of games I already own (I have about 15-20 games btw, so you can imagine what a PITA it would be to lug them all around).

I do realize that the majority of flash cart users use it solely to pirate games, but Nintendo hasn't made it easy for people like me (who value the portability of a handheld over most everything else). If the DSi successfully manages to incorporate everything BACK into a single portable device (and still manage to encourage homebrew), I'll give/sell my flash cart to someone. The DS is a great device, but I feel like it's lost it's portability roots, and I know that I'm not alone in how I feel (I know more than a few people that only use flashcarts to carry everything around).

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
L.B. Jeffries said:
Yet another fact to rattle at the pro-piracy crowd claiming they don't hurt video games.
Although potentially misleading. There is still a real shortage of data concerning to what extent sales are improved by blocking piracy. That is, unless you believe one can count pirate copies and equate them to missed sales (clearly absurd since many pirates are kids with no income).

The dangers of targeting the casual market have been made very clear on the Wii. I expect you've read the articles all over the web. But the appeal is nothing to do with pirates. It's simply a numbers game. Insofar as casual and hardcore demographics really exist, the former outnumber the latter.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Dom Camus said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Yet another fact to rattle at the pro-piracy crowd claiming they don't hurt video games.
Although potentially misleading. There is still a real shortage of data concerning to what extent sales are improved by blocking piracy. That is, unless you believe one can count pirate copies and equate them to missed sales (clearly absurd since many pirates are kids with no income).

The dangers of targeting the casual market have been made very clear on the Wii. I expect you've read the articles all over the web. But the appeal is nothing to do with pirates. It's simply a numbers game. Insofar as casual and hardcore demographics really exist, the former outnumber the latter.
*edited 12/10/08*

What danger? That if you make games that anyone can play you sell more of them? Just because companies aren't as experienced at making appealing casual games as Nintendo doesn't mean the concept itself is flawed.

I agree that there is an extreme lack of hard data but I also think developers are going to do precisely the kind of gut deduction that I just made. Huh, people are stealing these games. Huh, we're not really selling that many. Well, why not make games that the audience stealing them isn't going to like?

I'm not arguing anything about the actual effects, I'm arguing human nature.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
insanelich said:
And the DSi has already been cracked.
Yeah, Nintendo really invested millions in the anti-piracy protection for the their last console. *cough* -_-

The real question is if the majority of devs and pubs can make money and survive by basing their business on such a system.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Thinking a bit laterally here.

Why haven't Nintendo established an itunes or Steam style site to distribute proper, paid for DS games to Flash cart users? The market is clearly there, although people using carts may be less than willing to pay for their games even if the option is present.
Yiou could attract a new market as an ipod style store removes having to stand in line clutching a little piece of brightly coloured plastic, something teens tend to dislike.
A DS cartridge is only 256MB so download times would be reasonable.
It would (or should) give them better access to cart manufacturers, meaning they could put some kind of anti piracy software on the cart's operating systems instead of the DS itself. Surely a much more cost effective solution than having to update the hardware constantly?

Also it would save people like me who use flash carts legitamately (I use Colors and MP3 playback on mine, no pirated games) having to wait for cracks and workarounds to arrive.

Lastly, the SDhc card in my M3 has 16gb of memory to play with, it cost £40 + £40 for the M3. That's (potentially) a lot more DS games than £80 would get you in store.

RevStu

Dec 10, 2008
randommaster said:
A combination of untraceability along with working almost flawlessly on brand new hardware, a lucky break with getting access to the hardware, and ease of implementation have made flash carts a huge success, to the detriment of Nintendo,
Yeah, Nintendo have taken a real caning on the DS. Poor old Nintendo. I hear they've had to spend a fortune - on two enormous new aircraft hangars to store all the money they've made from the DS in.

Did you actually read the article at all?

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Wow, great article. Interesting read, and I like the theory about Nintendo casualizing their market to avoid piracy problems. It's hard to say if that's really the case (maybe Phantom Hourglass was just too much new with the controls, and it's a coincidence that their tapping the new markets), but even so, it's interesting stuff. I'm curious about looking into flash cards myself, with all the capabilities they seem to bring.