232: I, Gaijin

Ryan Winterhalter

Dec 14, 2009
I, Gaijin

Making it on your own as an independent game designer is tough in any locale, let alone a place that can feel downright alien to a Westerner. But some independent game-makers have chosen to give it a go in the megalopolis that is Tokyo. Ryan Winterhalter speaks with three Western designers who dare to call the Japanese capital home.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly an insight to the working day of a Freelance in Tokyo. I never thought that the companies would treat people like they do...

Thank you very much for your aticle! It was a brilliant read!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The problem with Japan being a clean, polite place is that you have to stay in your place until you've been there for a long time, because that's what being polite is.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Certainly gave me an insight on Japans game developer's lifestyles. Though it's a damn shame too, as an Aussie its so unbelievably difficult to get into the gaming industry without blowing 50k on University +5 years, and getting into University itself is a nightmare. :|

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
A fascinating read.

I hope to one day enter myself into the game industry, either independently or joining a company, and this article provides many interesting insights. I find it amazing that with today's world connecting technology one can have a successful job even in a foriegn environment.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
It must be tough, though incredibly exciting, to be an expatriate independent game developer.

Gotta study hard, but now I know it's possible.