TF2 Demoman? More like TF2: Highlander!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TF2 Demoman? More like TF2: Highlander!

Grab your nearest blade and howl "There can be only one!" Team Fortress 2's Demoman will be getting in touch with his Scottish heritage, trading his broken bottle and sticky bomb launcher for a claymore and targe.

The surprises in the TF2 sword and shield [http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part4/]? Okay, I think I can safely say I did not see that coming.

The Eyelander is unveiled in this five-page comic [http://www.teamfortress.com/war/demo/], introducing us to the Demoman's home life (and his real name, incidentally): A haunted sword "slow-forged for generations in the bowels of captured English kings," the Eyelander will go in the Demoman's melee weapon slot (naturally), replacing the bottle of scrumpy. From the way it's described on the site, equipping it will lower the Demoman's max health slightly (similar to the Scout's Sandman bat), but earning a kill with it will boost his health and speed in an effect that stacks up to four times.

Replacing the sticky-bomb launcher, on the other hand, is a the Chargin' Targe, a shield that reduces fire damage by 50% and explosive damage by 65% - but as befits a crazy Scottish berserker, it's certainly not just defensive. Using the shield's Alt-Fire (i.e, right-clicking) will charge forward faster than even a Scout, and connecting with the charge will earn you a guaranteed crit or mini-crit. So charge, pull out that sword, and chop some heads.

It's an interesting tradeoff, especially given how effective the sticky-bomb launcher is, even in the hands of an inexperienced player (and is the shield really worth giving up the grenade jump? Really?) but I can't say that it doesn't sound awesome. Of course, it's sort of hilarious that with the Sniper's Huntsman bow-and-arrow and now the Demoman's sword-and-board, it seems like the TF2 mercenaries are trading in high-tech weaponry for something more medieval. I'm not saying that I'd bet that one of the Soldier's unlockables will be a throwable rock; I'm just saying that we shouldn't rule it out.

First crafting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96836-Valve-Brings-Crafting-to-Team-Fortress-2], now a sword and shield: Team Fortress 2 is now more like World of Warcraft than ever before!

And because this post needed appropriate music:

Seriously, if you're going to be playing as a Claymore-wielding Demoman, you better be listening to "Princes of the Universe" on repeat. This would also be acceptable, too [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCpu71ehP0].

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I still hope the shield is not real thing. I want some more explosives, dammit! The sword sounds awesome, though.

And image does not work.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
That is too awesome for my mind to comprehend, although I'll probably stay with my sticky bombs seeing as they kill tiny baby cowards almost as good as Sasha!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
VitusPrime said:
Well done valve, go make that game even more awesome!
Now can we have episode 3 now?
Does Episode 3 have to be mentioned in every thread about Valve ever?

In all likelihood, the TF2, L4D, and HL2E3 teams are separate departments, and what one does has little to no bearing on the others. It's like blaming WoW's expansions for SC2 being delayed, or blaming SC2 for Diablo 3 taking forever - they're separate teams there, too.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
As much as I find this amusing, I also somewhat see this as contradicting the class a little bit. This turns our Demoman into less of a defensive/I'ma kill your shit Engineer class and into a full-blown melee fighter, which doesn't really have any connections to explosives at all, now does it? If they wanted to make a melee class, why don't they just make an all new class based around melee instead of converting a pre-existing one?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
VitusPrime said:
Well done valve, go make that game even more awesome!
Now can we have episode 3 now?
Nnno, as much as I'd love to have E3 now, I can't wait for today's update (this update is from yesterday's date), tomorrow's.... and release on Thursday.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
You should see the Valve forums about this update. So many people pissed off that Valve gave the Demoman weapons that don't relate to him.

And I'm expecting the same "OMIGAD OVERPOWERED" bullshit that floats up every time a TF2 update comes around.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SuperMse said:
As much as I find this amusing, I also somewhat see this as contradicting the class a little bit. This turns our Demoman into less of a defensive/I'ma kill your shit Engineer class and into a full-blown melee fighter, which doesn't really have any connections to explosives at all, now does it? If they wanted to make a melee class, why don't they just make an all new class based around melee instead of converting a pre-existing one?
A friend had a good point - the Demo was already such a good all-rounder class that one of the only things they could conceivably give him to keep it balanced was a weapon that changed the entire concept of the class.

24/7 sword-and-shield-only servers are going to be fun.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
That is pretty darn hilarious. I don't even play TF2 but I keep up with news about it thanks to all their announcements being so darn funny.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SuperMse said:
Because these updates, for the most part, have never been about making a class better at what it already does.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Macksheath said:
Shame he's not the Demoman anymore. A crazy Scottish guy that has one eye and blows ánd chops shit up for fun? Hell yeah.

Although the replacement weapon is awesome.
Fixed that for the current situation. Now you can be even more crazy, isn't that just awesome?!
SuperMse said:
Class updates are about expanding a class' role, not improving on the existing one. For example, the Huntsman transforms the Sniper into a front-line fighter. Given, I already fight at the front-line with my rifle (it's way more fun than lingering at the back), but it's where the Huntsman belongs.