The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Susan

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Susan

Susan shares her five favorite games from 2009. Can you guess what they are?

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
That's two now, and Scribblenauts hasn't come up anywhere!
Well, its hard to have "fun" with the game, when you just so so frustrated with it's controls. Still a great game, but just annoys the fuck out of me whenever I do any action stage that requires some degree of precision.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Good list! I do like the way that The Escapist make personal top 5 games lists for each of the major staff of the website :3

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
WOW! Glad to see props for The Path, even though I also didn't have much fun with it... although I didn't have a memorable experience with it either. Maybe I should give it a fair shot and finish more than the first walk.

And HEY, when you're playing cool games like "Emerald City Confidential", which is in quotes because I've never heard of it before, you need to have a place on the site where you can mention what cool games you are playing at the moment so we can all check them out as well. That would also give us a little heads up as to what reviews to expect and maybe what you'll talk about in your columns. I'm sure this is all buried on the staff twitter accounts, which I'll start following now, but whenever I look at the watercooler all I see is little back and forth stuff like '@JohnFunk OMG No Way! So what did he say?', and '@SusanArendt It's in the safe next to the chicken dinners.' (not real examples)

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
best list ever, simply because i had forgotten the FvZ song, also i had never heard of Emerald City Confidential before, and i freaking love that kind of games, but dont you worry, i am draining my credit card even further via steam as we speak.

and because it cant all be flattery, silly songs and new indie click n point games, i was not a big fan of the path, i heard that its and completely different experience for women, but i doubt that the complete lack of enjoyment can be blamed on my XY chromosome.

and i was just reminded that i used 60 hours on dragon age in one week.

edit; i just remembered that you reviewed some of these titles, maybe link the review in the title for each of them, just a suggestion, and now i gotta go jump into emerald city, gotta love steam.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
yay for everyone (so far) liking dragon age.

and i had never heard of Emerald City confidential until i read that, is there at least a demo for it?

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
Good list, but I'm a little surprised that 'Splosion Man didn't make the list. You're glowing review was enough to make me (and I'm sure many others) check it out, and I thought it was a lock for the list. Ah, well, I guess not every deserving game can get honors.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Zenode said:
yay for everyone (so far) liking dragon age.

and i had never heard of Emerald City confidential until i read that, is there at least a demo for it?
no demo, but its 4.49 on steam and i must say im having a ball with it, give it a try.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dramus said:
Good list, but I'm a little surprised that 'Splosion Man didn't make the list. You're glowing review was enough to make me (and I'm sure many others) check it out, and I thought it was a lock for the list. Ah, well, I guess not every deserving game can get honors.
This was a really, really hard list to cut down to just five games. Some truly wonderful games, like 'Splosion Man, Assassin's Creed 2, and Pure Hidden had to get the axe.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
the 360 isnt the only Quasimodo of DA:O. the ps3 is just as ugly, but its still a great game.

BUT NO RPG BEATS TITAN QUEST!! *snarl*

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I can't help wondering if Tropico 3 was even considered by the staff. Neither Russ nor Susan have mentioned this game yet.
As the third Tropico the game may not be revolutionary, but it's still a great game on it's own. In a gaming drought like this year, I find this a bit odd. DOes nobody know about this game?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
never got into Uncharted 2, it was good and I tried to like it, but it was hard to find something to keep me going

but wow Dragon Age again? not sure if that makes the Escapist staff huge nerds or the game is something I really really need to try...maybe both =P
I never got Mass Effect (might get the sequel) so this could be my first BioWare game since KOTOR

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
veloper said:
I can't help wondering if Tropico 3 was even considered by the staff. Neither Russ nor Susan have mentioned this game yet.
As the third Tropico the game may not be revolutionary, but it's still a great game on it's own. In a gaming drought like this year, I find this a bit odd. DOes nobody know about this game?
Definitely one of the games that I wanted to play this year, but never quite got a chance to. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, if you'd care to share them.

Oh, and for the record, duchaked, we on The Escapist staff are huge nerds, and you should play both Dragon Age and Mass Effect. (You'll want to play it before you play ME2, truuuuuust me.)