Jackie Chan Is Mr. Miyagi in New Karate Kid

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jackie Chan Is Mr. Miyagi in New Karate Kid

Jackie Chan will be filling in for the late Pat Morita as the teacher in next year's remake of The Karate Kid, with Will Smith's kid as the, uh, karate kid.

On the one hand, I could make a snarky comment about how we're running out of 80s properties to remake in modern feature films. On the other, I'm not sure this really qualifies as a remake, per se: It's set in Beijing rather than California, Jaden Smith's Dre (no relation to the Doctor, presumably) is a bit younger than Daniel-san was, and given the location and instructor, one can make the assumption that he'll be learning a Chinese martial art rather than the Okinawan karate of Mr. Miyagi. But I guess The Kung Fu Kid wouldn't have quite the nostalgia value, huh?

Still, it follows the basic formula: Kid moves to a new home where he feels out of place, finds a local girl he likes, runs into local bullies. Kid gets ass kicked by bullies, learns martial arts from wizened instructor who teaches him via seemingly-mundane activities ("pick up your jacket" vs "wax on, wax off.") Kid gets good at martial arts, enters tournament for epic final showdown. Ah, the old 80s underdog story.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what I feel about this. On the one hand, 80s remakes annoy me kind of on principle, and this does look a bit cliche. On the other, Jaden Smith is actually a pretty good actor (from his role in The Pursuit of Happyness with his papa Will Smith, anyway) and the more I think about it, the more I think Jackie Chan is a surprisingly good fit for the Mr. Miyagi role. Go figure.

The Karate Kid will hit theaters this upcoming July.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Personally, the remake looks like garbage. It's just looks so over-done. And Jackie...what happened?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jonny49 said:
Personally, the remake looks like garbage. It's just looks so over-done. And Jackie...what happened?
Jackie Chan has a very simple policy. He makes movies in America for money, and makes movies in China that he wants to make.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
On the one, karate kid jumped the shark way back with KK3. I also wish jackie chan would start making his own movies again.

On the other hand the plot's so formula by it tough to screw it up (Though some people have tried damn hard) so as long as the acting's decent I can only think it'll benefit from modern cinematography.

It doesn't really have all that much to live up to; I mean really.

Fort minor

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
this is like the biggest "well duh" ever, this is something even the gamer astrologer from last week wouldn't even bother mentioning.

but it does look okay, cliché filled, but so was the original, and the young smith seems talented, even if the pursuit of happiness wasn't really for me the acting was adequate, also jackie chan is awesome, i used his shampoo when i lived in china and my hair have never been the same.

AkJay said:
Do we really need another Karate Kid?
yes, yes we do, we always do.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Since he's will's kid he's automatically a great actor? The kid doesn't even need to get a job and he's already an A-list actor. Maybe I just hate kid actors, I'll shut up now.

CptPanda29

Apr 8, 2009
Kinda sick of hearing that song, but it doesn't look like a bad film, it's just most people who comment on films on the internet grew up watching the original, so it's nostalgia with it's tricks again.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
My first thought was that this is sacrilegious garbage, but then I saw Jackie Chan and remembered that Jackie Chan is awesome.

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
More remakes of good movies is just what the world needed. That or some bleach in the gene pool. Please Hollywood stop raping the past, just wait for this; "Rosebud" [fade out, fade in on a snowboard]

"DUUUUDE, I totally didn't see that coming, DUUUDE!"

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
*sigh*, I hate the fact that I thought that trailer was good stuff. I was expecting to hate it, and I really didn't...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Douk said:
Since he's will's kid he's automatically a great actor? The kid doesn't even need to get a job and he's already an A-list actor. Maybe I just hate kid actors, I'll shut up now.
Not a great actor, but I liked him in Pursuit of Happyness well enough.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Looks like Smith jnr is heading down the same road as his daddy, lets hope hes as good

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
I almost hate to say this but I'm gonna see it. Besides, I've seen worse "kung-fu" movies if this even counts as one. Also, I don't see this being any worse than that spy movie Jackie Chan is in.