A View From the Road: New Years' (HD) Resolutions

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From the Road: New Years' (HD) Resolutions

John Funk announces his New Year's resolutions for 2010, which he probably won't keep.

Read Full Article

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Man you still haven't played Dragon Age, you need to get on that Before ME2 drags you away. My online Gaming resolution is to try my first MMO, which is going to be The Old Republic and unlike you I've made my decision; Sith Lord.

laryri

May 19, 2008
The soldier/demo hordes have died down quite a bit. Even if you do end up with several demomen or soldiers on your team, you playing good soldier or demo won't go unappreciated.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
To answer the Demo-Soldier Question: It's died down, but there's maybe five or six of both classes combined at most per team. If it bothers you, I'd suggest waiting a few days or a week.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Awww, resolutions... I don't keep mine as well. But that doesn't stop me to try some!

I resolve to eat more salad. Tough one, may I say.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nice list. Should get on that Dragon Age one before ME2 or any of the MMOs hop onto shelves, demolishing your time further. Good luck keeping them, man!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
At this point it feels like I've been waffling more than a Belgian breakfast.
god that was painful.

and the assault rifle is the only weapon i use aswell, but i have actually tried the "alternatives" and trust me the results are nothing compared to what the M16 can amount.

the zombie just die more.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I resolve to finally get around to finishing up my Loremaster achievement in World of Warcraft. For those not in the know, Loremaster is obtained by completing almost every quest in all four of the game's continents. I've cleaned up Burning Crusade's Outland and Wrath of the Lich King's Northrend, leaving only ~200 low-level quests in Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms, the original two continents from the game's launch. The quests are easy and I can solo every single one of them as a big badass level 80... but the content is just so boring and painful to slog through. Anyone who says the questing in TBC and WotLK isn't miles beyond Classic WoW is blind or a liar, or both.

I really just need to get a fifth of Jack Daniels and spend the better part of a weekend completing the damn achievement to get my title before Cataclysm destroys it all and replaces it with better quests that don't suck so hard.
Don't! Just don't, achievements are evil, especially in that game. Be free!

I resolve to log in to Aion for a reason other than just "ooh, look at the pretties" for once. There is an actual game there, and I should play it instead of just standing around in Sanctuary admiring how beautiful my female character is. Wait, that sounds creepy. Can we erase this one?
I didn't know there is a game behind all that, are you sure? I couldn't find it, but, to be honest I didn't try looking hard for it.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
laryri said:
The soldier/demo hordes have died down quite a bit. Even if you do end up with several demomen or soldiers on your team, you playing good soldier or demo won't go unappreciated.
Quite. Oftentimes it's 35% of a team as soldier/demo, and most often it's Highlander demomen charging straight forward with badly timed sword swings and soldiers who can't aim spamming Direct Hit rockets. At least it's all in good fun ;p

It does feel like the precious demoman has been cheapened by the masses, though. As for soldier, he was always popular, but the number of bad soldiers has risen quite a bit...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Online Resolution...Play FFXIV and love it...when, its released lol

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Its interesting to see WoW related New Years Resolutions that aren't "quit". I feel like that's probably the most common for this part of the year.

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
The TF2 Solly/Demo overpopulation has calmed down, but you'll see a lot of Targelanders around. Expect to be decapitated a few hundred times by a black Scotsman.

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
I'm not even sure if I'll get SW:TOR (it'd be my first MMO, save for three minutes on some flash one) but if I do I know I want to be a Rodian bounty hunter, I normally end up being good in RPGs but bounty hunters are just awesome. Also a Bioware game isnt going to be that clear cut with alliegences, is it? I'm sure working with the sith I'll still be able to be a swell guy, if not I'll just go for excessive destruction.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
By the Gods... Loremaster Achievement... The cruelest, evilest achievement ever. I remember when I did my utter best to do Kalimdor. Eastern Kingdoms were easier, but still a headache inducing. The worst was when I reach the last 5 needed for the achievement in Kalimdor... I wasted a lot of gold those weeks of quest hunting. A lot.

Captain Ninja

May 9, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
Man you still haven't played Dragon Age, you need to get on that Before ME2 drags you away. My online Gaming resolution is to try my first MMO, which is going to be The Old Republic and unlike you I've made my decision; Sith Lord.
nice new years resolutions , also nice choice for the old republic...i will see you on the battle field!

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
I found out the autosniper is much more useful tan m4. I can kill witch in 10-20 meters of her run.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
I resolve to actually play Dragon Age. Okay, it's not an online game, but it is an RPG - but it's so huge that I kind of wonder if I haven't missed my window of opportunity for playing it over the holidays. This year's Q1 and Q2 aren't as empty as the first half of last year, and I might be too caught up with Bayonetta and Dark Void to actually give BioWare's mammoth a try - and once Mass Effect 2 comes out, forget it!
Firstly: not having played this is blasphemy but I will let that slide (not sure the great Bioware gods will but that is not for me to say)but if you are truly dedicated you can finish it in 3 days of maybe 8-10 hours play. You won't get into all the knocks and crannies but you will get the jist of the story. Now get started unless you want to force me to unleash the inquisition.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
JakobBloch said:
I resolve to actually play Dragon Age. Okay, it's not an online game, but it is an RPG - but it's so huge that I kind of wonder if I haven't missed my window of opportunity for playing it over the holidays. This year's Q1 and Q2 aren't as empty as the first half of last year, and I might be too caught up with Bayonetta and Dark Void to actually give BioWare's mammoth a try - and once Mass Effect 2 comes out, forget it!
Firstly: not having played this is blasphemy but I will let that slide (not sure the great Bioware gods will but that is not for me to say)but if you are truly dedicated you can finish it in 3 days of maybe 8-10 hours play. You won't get into all the knocks and crannies but you will get the jist of the story. Now get started unless you want to force me to unleash the inquisition.
i doubt that, i played for 48+ hours, and i skipped allot of side quests and pretty much rushed true (played boss fights on easy etc), im pretty sure its impossible to complete it in 8-10 hours.

edit: pay no attention to the text above, i misread.

so instead i am going to agree completely with you, and while 8-10 hours sounds like allot, it pretty much flies by while immersed in its amazing world.