China to Make Up its Mind on World of Warcraft Soon

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
China to Make Up its Mind on World of Warcraft Soon

After being caught in a power struggle between two Chinese government entities for what must have seemed like an eternity to poor WoW [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Pc/dp/B000067FDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969746&sr=1-3] addicts, the popular MMOG may finally be getting a verdict once and for all.

I'm aware that the power struggle between the Chinese Ministry of Culture and the General Administration of Press and Publications (GAPP) over megapopular MMOG World of Warcraft is incredibly dry to read (though intriguing if you're interested in business in China [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6744-Mind-The-GAPP-Update-on-WOW-in-China]), so we're going to spice it up by pretending that the entities are both giant fighting robots.

When Blizzard switched WoW service providers from The9 to NetEase to coincide with the Chinese release of NetEase edited the game [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Wrath-Lich-Expansion-Mac/dp/B000VJTJNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964549&sr=1-1], M0C-X41 zapped the game with its Approval Ray, clearing the way for relaunch.

"Not so fast," declared GAPPINATOR, drawing its Laser Sword of Bureaucracy. In trying to consolidate its Rule of Robots, it was determined to prove that it and it alone had the power to approve the Second Trial of the Content Review. M0C-X41 fired its Rocket Punch of Semantics, arguing that GAPPINATOR's powers were only limited to physical material like game booklets, but GAPPINATOR countered with a devastating Shoulder Tackle of Reinterpreting the Rules, and... okay, this is all getting kind of silly, but the end result was that nobody knows exactly what's going on with WoW in China because the damn government bodies can't make up their minds.

That may be at an end soon enough. GAPP and the MOC have reportedly reached an agreement, a source told JLM Pacific Epoch [http://www.jlmpacificepoch.com/newsstories?id=161232_0_5_0_M], and a final verdict for the game - and a punishment for NetEase for "illegally collecting fees" - would be forthcoming. So, I guess the two robots agreed and then decided to go beat up NetEase, or something like that.

Ah well, at least the Chinese WoW players can always just stay on the Taiwanese servers like they've been doing anyway.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Furburt said:
Yay, more Gold farmers!

I missed those guys.

And I don't even play WoW.
Nah, not gold farmers, they play on the US (or EU, or wherever) servers. This is actual gamers playing on the Chinese servers.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Furburt said:
Yay, more Gold farmers!

I missed those guys.

Chinese Gold Farmers need to come back. i need to give them a hug. We now get american ones who not only constantly pester you, but are TOTAL DOUCHEBAGS at the same time.

then again, maybe that level 20 troll warrior in defias gear with dual daggers just really needed 5g for mount training.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
I'm a little tired so you kinda lost me with all the robots, but from what the headline told me; YAY! good for them.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
There'll be a lot of "foolish government" talk here.

Thing is, China has banned 4 games, and Australia has banned 30 something.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
The chinese version will get rid of the already small amount of gore in the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lol, well if the chinese government know how to do anything its stall

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
[quote/]"Not so fast," declared GAPPINATOR, drawing its Laser Sword of Bureaucracy. In trying to consolidate its Rule of Robots, it was determined to prove that it and it alone had the power to approve the Second Trial of the Content Review. M0C-X41 fired its Rocket Punch of Semantics, arguing that GAPPINATOR's powers were only limited to physical material like game booklets, but GAPPINATOR countered with a devastating Shoulder Tackle of Reinterpreting the Rules, and... okay, this is all getting kind of silly...[/quote]

No it isn't, that was awesome!

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Furburt said:
Yay, more Gold farmers!

I missed those guys.

NI HAO, GOLD FARMER! [/memetic mutation] [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroperTales/FanHater]

Geez, the Chinese bureaucracy almost seems like a council of Warlocks- they can get things done, but it's ever so slow. ("MORE DoTS!")

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I swear, I could barely wrap my head around the politics of what was going on with the whole Chinese WOW chronicles, but once the giatn fighting robots stepped up to the plate, it all just fell into place! Man, life is much simpler when all you have to worry about is a giant robot, and not a whole bunch of beaurocratic Chinese loopholes...

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Wow (pun intended) and I thought Australian bureaucrats were soul crushingly obnoxious.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well, that certainly proves one thing. [small]Bureaucracy is inept and stupid[/small] Everything is better with GIANT ROBOTS!

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
WrongSprite said:

And how many tens of millions of people has Australia killed?

Not as many as China.

Estimates range between 49 and 78 million.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Cryo84R said:
WrongSprite said:

And how many tens of millions of people has Australia killed?

Not as many as China.

Estimates range between 49 and 78 million.
Yeah, because that's really on topic, isn't it?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Furburt said:
Yay, more Gold farmers!

I missed those guys.

Nah, not gold farmers, they play on the US (or EU, or wherever) servers. This is actual gamers playing on the Chinese servers.
Hehe, I bet their economies are fucked. A stack of titanium probably costs an actual account.