EA Sports Stands By Tiger Woods

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Sports Stands By Tiger Woods

EA Sports [http://www.easports.com] says that it has no intention of abandoning its endorsement deals with Tiger Woods because despite the trouble in his personal life, he remains one of the greatest athletes in the world.

There's an old proverb, reputedly Chinese, that says, "May you live in interesting times." One man whose times are definitely more interesting than most is Tiger Woods, who in the space of a single SUV mishap went from respected family man and world's greatest golfer to humiliated, philandering horndog - and world's greatest golfer. His dalliances have cost him dearly as one sponsor after another has fled the sinking ship, but EA Sports President Peter Moore says that in spite of it all, the videogame publisher is standing by its man.

"Our relationship with Tiger has always been rooted in golf. We didn't form a relationship with him so that he could act as an arm's length endorser. Far from it," Moore explained on his blog [http://www.easports.com/blogs/itsinthegame/post/slug/ea-sports-moves-forward-with-tiger-woods-pga-tour-online-launch-in-january]. "We chose to partner with Tiger in 1997 because we saw him as the world's best, most talented and exciting golfer. We struck that partnership with the assumption that he would remain near or at the top of his sport for years to come."

"By his own admission, he's made some mistakes off the course. But regardless of what's happening in his personal life, and regardless of his decision to take a personal leave from the sport, Tiger Woods is still one of the greatest athletes in history," he continued. "When we say 'It's in the Game,' it is not just a tag line but a statement about the quality and authenticity of the game experience. Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online [http://tigerwoodsonline.ea.com/] is truly representative of that rallying cry, and a game that all of us at EA Sports are proud to be delivering this month to sports fans around the globe."

And to that, I say bravo. I don't particularly care about Tiger Woods but there's something vaguely dishonest about the way corporations put the man in front of the public as a paragon of consumer-friendly perfection and then throw him to the wolves the moment he fails to live up to that impossible standard. Woods may be a dog but he's still the best golfer in the world. Isn't that what we're supposed to care about?

The browser-based Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online goes into open beta later this month for the PC and Mac.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
thats admirable, bros before hoes, i will make this short as i got something in my eyes *sniff*

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
There's absolutely no well known golfers besides Tiger Woods. Colin Montgomerie PGA Tour doesn't have the same ring to it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Honestly, I'd hate to be a really popular celebrity. Your every move is monitored. Honestly what happens in any star's personal life should be kept between those involved. Media sucks.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
well, it makes some sense. he should just have to sleep on a couch in his front lawn for a few years, not loose all of his endorsements because he decided to cheat on his wife.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
swaki said:
thats admirable, bros before hoes, i will make this short as i got something in my eyes *sniff*
Me too. *sniffs* I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about it.

dsmops2003

Sep 23, 2009
He's a total D-Bag yes, but if you or I did what he did we wouldn't lose our jobs. I know we all want to see him suffer and squirm but really who are we to judge him.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
That's...um, well, suspiciously noble of EA Games and the money-devouring kraken I've always believed it to be...

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
What Mr. Woods does in his private life is no business of me or anyone else in the world. If for some reason people set him up as a great role model and it it then turns out he is not then that is not his problem but the problem of those that did so. If anyone feel betrayed by him for not living up to their expectations then that is bloody stupid.

I say good going to EA for standing up and saying: "Whatever has happened with Mr. Woods' private life is for him to sort out. We frankly don't care."

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I agree with EA, they have him in a GOLF game, and so as long as he remains a great golfer, they don't and shouldn't care about his personal life. If he went on a murderous rampage, maybe, but otherwise, who cares?

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
j0z said:
I agree with EA, they have him in a GOLF game, and so as long as he remains a great golfer, they don't and shouldn't care about his personal life. If he went on a murderous rampage, maybe, but otherwise, who cares?
Maybe the next Tiger Woods game will include some less-than-savoury mini-games/side quests. Just another way for EA to make big bucks!

GeneralGrant

Dec 1, 2009
Agreed. People care way too much about the infidelities of celebrities. Normal people cheat all the time, is it any surprise that the wealthy and powerful do so as well? Should just be ignored, unless you're a family member of Mr. Woods.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Good for EA. Then again, they know a John Daly PGA Golf 2010 isn't going to rake in the money like anything branded Tiger Woods.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
dalek sec said:
swaki said:
Me too. *sniffs* I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about it.
Agreed. Guarantee if he was single none of this would have happened. And I have to say, EA has definitely pulled a 180 as of late, they are very much a company I don't mind supporting with my purchases.