Nintendo: New Zelda in 2010, DS Successor Motion-Sensitive

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo: New Zelda in 2010, DS Successor Motion-Sensitive

Nintendo commander-in-chief Satoru Iwata casually dropped a double-bombshell in an interview, mentioning that gamers would see the new Zelda in 2010, and that the DS' successor was under construction - and motion sensitive.

Nintendo has been teasing information about the new Legend of Zelda since the concept art was and will probably debut at E3 '10 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92234-Your-First-Look-at-the-New-Zelda].

In an interview with Nintendo boss-man Satoru Iwata in the Twilight Princess [http://www.asahi.com/digital/pc/OSK201001050110.html]' worldwide launch, it would seem reasonable to assume the same thing would be true with the game's followup).

If true, this would mark a concerted effort on the part of Nintendo not to show its chickens before they were close to hatching, as it did with Twilight Princess - originally shown off at E3 2004 with a release date of November '05, the game didn't come out until November '06. Hence, some gamers can be forgiven for assuming that we may not see the title until 2011, but at least the software giant is trying, right?

Iwata also briefly spoke about the company's next handheld - as in, a genuine successor to the DS, and not merely a revision. According to the man, the company's next handheld would feature "highly detailed graphics, and it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing." Whether Iwata meant something more in line with the iPhone's limited motion sensors - which have proven successful in portable gaming - or along the lines of the full-fledged motion tracking in his company's Wii remains to be seen, though I'd admittedly prefer the former to the latter, personally. Otherwise how else are you supposed to game on a handheld when you're trying to get comfortable (or in a vehicle), huh?

At any rate, Iwata would say nothing further, claiming that there was no reason to talk about when the DS' successor would hit the market considering that the two-screened gaming device is still selling like hotcakes laced with crack cocaine.

So there we go, folks: New Zelda in 2010, new handheld will have "highly detailed graphics" and use motion control. Do we like it? Yay or nay?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I WANT THE GAME BOY BACK What ever happened to the good old gameboy from nintendo? I loved those things...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hmmm...top your handheld to move Zelda?

Well, ive never been much of a Zelda fan anyway so it dosnt mean very much to me. But motion controlled handheld? Curious as to exactly that will work, certainly following suit of been "novel"

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
I'm all for innovation but that just...

ehhh....

And if Nintendo's trends lately stay the course, most of the games that come out for it will suck. And it won't be backwards compatible.

It'll be interesting to see how they can pull off motion control for a hand held.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
honestly i love zelda, but im not looking forward to this
nintendo has broken my heart so many times that neither this nor metroid other m is going to bring me back

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Dude, I'd buy Zelda no matter what features they put in it. Swordfighting just happens to be one of the features I actually want out of the Wii.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Oh oh oh oh! I made a thread about this before it was in the news! Damn I'm good. But I'll play it no matter what.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Frankydee said:
And if Nintendo's trends lately stay the course, most of the games that come out for it will suck. And it won't be backwards compatible.
Both the Wii and DS lite are backwards compatible. i wouldn't call the DSi a "trend".

Enlong said:
Frankydee said:
It'll be interesting to see how they can pull off motion control for a hand held.
Kirby Tilt n' Tumble says hi.
So does WarioWare: Twisted!

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
I can't wait for the MotionPlus Zelda game. I believe MotionPlus is a huge improvement over the original Wii motion sensing, which more-or-less basically just replaces buttons with waggle... But I do hope they'll include voice acting this time around.

Anyway, we'll just stick to Red Steel 2 until E3 then (or 2011?).

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Uh, if its a hand held, and motion controls (beyond those in the DS, like the tilt feature) how could you watch the screen? If your waving it around then you wouldn't be able to see the screen.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
ugh... please, nintendo, stop with this motion sensitive voice activated crap on the handhelds... there's nothing wrong with keeping the gimmicks out of at least those... the touchscreen actually did better than i expected, but I'm so damn sick of the motion sensitive crap, and i just can't see myself investing in the handheld if it has it.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
Yay! To Zelda anyway. Always been a fan, even though I get less excited over the years of playing the same story. It's still a good story, and a new game to me is more like returning to a favorite book than experiencing a new one. Still enjoyable and, to me, worthwhile...but sometimes I wish they could expand on the universe a bit and write a new book. It's soooo easy to write stories in a predetermined universe like that, but they refuse to drop the key characters.
I totally think they could do a main character who focuses in rare abilities with magic, or a non-hylean character of some sort.

Anyway, the DS could be cool if they keep it simple like the iphone, but they need to remember to make it easy and relaxing to play while laying down or something.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
There's no way in hell I'm buying a handheld motion-sensitive gaming device. What if I want to play it during a bumpy car ride? The whole point of handhelds is that they should work regardless of context (one of the reasons that the microphone on the DS was a terrible idea).

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I'll bet they just have accelerometers in the DS2, a la the iPhone.
And I still doubt that Zelda will release in 2010, but I'm happy that they're aiming for it.

itstimeforpie

Jan 6, 2009
LeonLethality said:
I WANT THE GAME BOY BACK What ever happened to the good old gameboy from nintendo? I loved those things...
Thank you, I for one, would like to see a new version of this, it would be awesome.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
I'm hoping it's going to be something like the accelerometer in the iPhone/Touch. So it would be like the Wario Ware twisted thing integrated into the handheld. Anyways Spirit Tracks has set my Zelda fix since I'm more used to it being on a Handheld anyways. But yeah:
itstimeforpie said:
LeonLethality said:
Thank you, I for one, would like to see a new version of this, it would be awesome.
This.

Kyp

Feb 13, 2009
A motion-sensitive handheld console is more than likely the worst idea that nintendo has ever come up with. Think about it, if we are to have to move around something the size and shape of a PSP or DS, how are we to properly enjoy the actual video game, since the screen will be shaking around?

Seriously, though the 1:1 Zelda swordplay will be cool, the motion-control technology is not only lame, but stupid.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I'll probably play it (and love it) regardless, but I really hope they put in an option for classic controllers. In fact I already emailed them about that. They were kind enough to respond, but were pretty vauge. Here's their response:

Hello,
I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us regarding the use of motion controls over classic button controls. Rest assured that your email will be forwarded on to the appropriate department for further review. At this time, a new Legend of Zelda game hasn't been officially announced, so there's no information on what type of control setup the next game might support. If any official news is announced, it will appear in the What's New section of www.nintendo.com.