"Ditch the Orc Or I'm Moving to Canada"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Ditch the Orc Or I'm Moving to Canada"

A Scottish man was forced to make a tough choice when his wife laid down the ultimatum: Get rid of the orc or I'm moving to Canada.

42-year-old Robert Cushnie made an incredible score when a Falkirk toy store closed down six years ago: A full-scale model of a World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Pc/dp/B000067FDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969746&sr=1-3] orc. It's the sort of once-in-a-lifetime swag that most gamers, and especially Warcraft fans, would kill for. But Cushnie's wife, who he married in February 2009, wasn't quite so enthusiastic about it.

"It came down to the wife or the orc," he said. "She said there wasn't any room for him in our life. I've had him for six years but Dee means more to me, so he had to go."

"I just don't like it," Cushnie's wife Dee said. "I'm only 5'3", so it towers over me, which is quite creepy."

Fortunately for all involved, Cushnie's orc was adopted by Michael and Patricia Thompson of Aberdeen. "We wanted him because he's so unusual," Patricia said. "Our grandkids love him."

As it turns out, the couple plan to move to Canada later this month anyway, minus the orc. "I'll miss him," Cushnie added, "but I'm glad he's gone to a good home."

Let this be a lesson to you, kids: Never get too serious with a woman until you've introduced her to the orc.

Source: The Scottish Sun [http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2792768/Wife-forces-husband-to-give-away-giant-World-of-Warcraft-Orc-figure.html]

(image [http://www.techeblog.com/elephant/photo.phtml?post_key=152784&photo_key=24502#prevnext])

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well. I don't think I'd ever go for a full-sized orc/ork.
Still, pretty odd.
I'm not surprised his wife was creeped out by it.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Damn women, they're all orc-haters!

This is why I never joined the Alliance. Bigots is what they are

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Eh I woulda chosen the orc, because, if you have it for six years and your significant other of a year or two says get rid of it, I'd tell her nope, it's mine. Maybe put it in the basement or something.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I want that orc. Put it so when you open my door it is staring at you. Would be good times.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Never make long-term plans with another person without introducing them to your "monster" first.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
ARE YOU SERIOUS?
What kind of a woman was this?
he wasnt playing too much the game...was he even a wow player? :O
Whats her beef with the statue....A STATUE HONEY! He aint doing anything with the orc.....
Its just so sad when women try to make us quit or let go of out hobbies n loves. I mean u can make expections n stuff but.....damn......if he was a big warcraft fan...n he probably was....letting go of that orc mustve made him cry when he was alone.
Id go for a full-sized Illidan with the twin blades in his hands :p And if he could scream YOU ARE NOT PREPARED when a girl comes to my bedroom lmao :D

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Blood and thunder, blatent racism I say! I'm with Lolth17, she must be a nelf.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I have mixed opinions here.

Despite some of the other stuff I've said in this "issue" of The Escapist on feminism and the like, I tend to think that this is a bad sign.

I think that in a relationship if one person involved would demand the other give up a possesion that valued evem due to inconveinence, it says a lot about the relationship and how much she actually wants to be with him, for him (so to speak). Relationships are about compromise and if this winds up turning into a stereotype where this works in one direction as it seems (him making big compromises for her) that's not going to be healthy.

Of course I'm not there, but in most contexts I can think of something like that happening I probably would have said "Say hi to the Moose for me, eh?" and let her leave. Either she comes back because she wants to be with me, or she doesn't, and if she didn't come back over something that petty it probably would have worked.

Of course I don't know all the details, but honestly it sounds like a power trip with her trying to get him to give something up for her just to see if she can. I've seen it before and it RARELY ends well even if it takes years. If he had the Orc for six years, I doubt it was a surprise.

Trust me, the urgency DOES go out of sex eventually, and simply put if your getting together with someone seriously it becomes about companionship. Make sure the person is going to be a good companion you want to live with. If she can't stand your orcs and hobbies, this early in, things are just going to get worse.

Not unique advice/comments, and the type that is always ignored.

I speak mostly as someone who has been in like PnP RPG groups when there have been breakups involved after someone in the group gets married, or finds a "serious" relationship and stuff like this happens. One compromise now, misery later. Consider carefully also whethere it's one thing, or someone trying to make you into something your not.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I'm sorry, but holy hell, what a *****. :p I thought the article was referring to his WoW character or something before I read it. That would have at least seemed reasonable to me. If he spent too much time playing WoW, I could see her being peeved. But a freaking statue? Are you serious?

NEWS FLASH GIRLS: We are nerds. When you decide to date and/or eventually marry us, you're marrying a nerd. If you don't like the fact that we're nerds or are ashamed of it, don't marry us.

It's really sweet of the guy to give the statue away, and more than I would have done, especially with something so unique and probably even valuable. I mean, Christ, he had the thing for over five years before he married her! Sorry honey, but the statue has been around longer than you have! You couldn't have him move it to another spot in the house or something? Gah, I am so sick of people trying to change their spouses! This goes both ways too.

/rant

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Screw the wife man, if she can't understand what you like she's not worth it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
She knew he had it for YEARS before they got married

It's her own fault. She's in the wrong.

It'd be like him dating her with an object or a pet she loved, then once married telling her to get rid of it.

chefassassin2

Jan 2, 2009
I gotta admit, that's a little harsh. I would think that if you're marrying someone, they might have an idea you own a full-sized orc, and if it means that much to the guy, why give him such an ultimatum? I gotta ask, where's the give and take? He couldn't keep it in the garage, or somewhere else that he may consider to be "his" area? Poor guy.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Damn women, they're all orc-haters!

This is why I never joined the Alliance. Bigots is what they are
The horde can be bigots too, they tend to be towards us blood elves :p