Texas Mom Busted for Soliciting Teen Over WoW

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Texas Mom Busted for Soliciting Teen Over WoW

A 42-year-old woman from Texas who flew up to Canada to meet her 16-year-old World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] paramour received a nasty surprise when she got home: A quick trip to jail and criminal charges for soliciting a minor.

Our story begins in late December, when 16-year-old Andrew Kane of Barrie, Ontario, asked his parents if they'd drive him to a nearby hotel to meet a 42-year-old woman from Texas who he'd met on the internet. His parents refused, but amazingly didn't seem to feel the need to follow up on the situation. At 2 a.m. the next day, Kane's mother heard the front door open and then discovered that her son had disappeared, a turn of events that came as a surprise to absolutely nobody on the face of the planet except Mrs. Kane and, perhaps, her husband.

Two days later, the young lad was discovered in the company of one Lauri Price, a middle-aged woman from Texas who had met Kane while playing World of Warcraft. The couple were found at a local Future Shop store thanks to a tip from the public. Neither Kane nor Price expressed remorse over the incident, according to Sergeant Robert Allen of the Barrie Police, and because the age of consent in Canada is 16, no charges were laid.

Price hopped on a plane home and that was that - until she landed. It turns out that as part of their investigation, Barrie police had contacted authorities in Texas, where the age of consent is 17 and they apparently don't take too kindly to women in their 40s who chase after boys barely old enough to shave. Price was arrested upon her return to Houston and charged with two counts of online solicitation of a minor and one count of child enticement. She is currently being held in jail, with bail set at $310,000.

As for Kane, it almost sounds like his romantic runaway is the least of his problems: For more than a year he's reportedly spent "every waking hour" on World of Warcraft and his mother said he "rarely" goes to school because he refuses to stop playing the game. His parents took his computer away from him for a month last year but claim that his psychologist recommended they return it to him as a reward. "We thought he was managing it well, but eventually he was back to his old habits," his mother said.

Being a stupid parent, sadly, is not a criminal offense in either Canada or the U.S.

Source: CBC [http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/teen-found-after-meeting-his-42-year-old-online-soulmate/article1416257/?ok]

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
Barrie, Ontario. That it where I live, I heard about this on the news, on new years eve.

And I must say if the genrder roles where revesed there would be lynch mobs forming.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Errrmmm... it seems kinda wrong that this happened...
Surely the laws for the place that the event happened should be the one that applies?
Seeing as none of it occurred in Texas...
*Yawn*

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Alpha Centauri said:
Barrie, Ontario. That it where I live, I heard about this on the news, on new years eve.
I live in Barrie too!
No freaking way!

And I totally did not hear about this.
That kid is, as we Canucks say, freaking retarded.
And the parents aren't winning any awards, I can tell you that.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I'm not sure what is worse. The underage solicitation, or the idea that WoW fans are having sex.

AH, HA HA HA HA HA!

(I kid. Sort of. I know a WoW addict who abandoned her child to move across the country to be with a guy she met in WoW, and now they live off his parents and play WoW all day.

I don't blame WoW for making these people idiots. Just for giving them a place to hook up.)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...well, certainly not going to get that bail posted.

Although I think those parents need to get a reign on the child..

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
Errrmmm... it seems kinda wrong that this happened...
Surely the laws for the place that the event happened should be the one that applies?
Seeing as none of it occurred in Texas...
*Yawn*
She 'enticed' the kid from Texas and did the deed in Canada. You will note that she was arrested for:

two counts of online solicitation of a minor and one count of child enticement.
And not for the actual sexytimes.

Still, the internet gives us new and confusing ways to test our legal systems.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Okay, that is twice today that the internet has proved to me that it is evil.

I also take offence to that remark about shaving. I'm 14 and I have to shave! Aside from that, I'm glad she was jailed. What the hell were the parents thinking, not following it up? I pretty much agree with Baby Tea here, the kid is an idiot too, but I don't have any sympathy for anyone that stupid as to meet someone from the internet, especially from WoW.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Being a stupid parent, sadly, is not a criminal offense in either Canada or the U.S.
When I become the overlord of Canada that will change.

OT: I won't argue that this was wrong but I will wonder if what she did in Canada should have to carry over into US but I know next to nothing on that kind of.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Okay, that is twice today that the internet has proved to me that it is evil.

I also take offence to that remark about shaving. I'm 14 and I have to shave! Aside from that, I'm glad she was jailed. What the hell were the parents thinking, not following it up? I pretty much agree with Baby Tea here, the kid is an idiot too, but I don't have any sympathy for anyone that stupid as to meet someone from the internet, especially from WoW.
Same here. I've been shaving since I was 13 or 14.

...I stopped now, when I noticed that I will be as bald as my father.

Still, she deserves it. If she were 20-25, then to heck with it. But 42.. ugh.

Maibus

Aug 8, 2009
Good lord the WoW thralls are... are MATING?! We have to stop this, to the CAVE!!!

Sir Mate

Sep 4, 2009
shitty parents + WoW addicted child + idiotic laws = epic lol!
its kinda sad that things like this can happen in our world

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I demand a picture of Lauri Price. Because when it's not online that's sometimes called a Cougar.
Edit: Found a picture.

[small]Love at first raid. Awww.[/small]